Traffic on site

Travel discussion for St. John
dhanc1

Traffic on site

Post by dhanc1 »

Is it just me, the time of year,or the new site format that has made it seem like traffic has fallen off to nothing. I'm in need of a trip report, a good question or a heated argument, something. There are very few new topics posted and I've been checking in regularly.--- Have you guys started a new VI forum and not told me :(.
ms411

Re: Traffic on site

Post by ms411 »

I've noticed it, too, and on other sites. I think more people are using Facebook to post their content for one thing. I also think people have found other things to do on the web like updating their TB page. Sites that rely on user content may need to find other ways to get content.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I admit that I really don't like the new format (sorry Anthony!). I think it's messier looking and harder to view and I'm not a fan of how condensed it is. It feels like more work to come here now, so yeah, I do visit less, but I don't know if that's true of others as well.

When gmail changed its graphical interface, I didn't like it but I got used to it in about a week. When Facebook switched me to Timeline 3 days ago I didn't like it but I'm already used to it. However with the forum, I'm still not used to the changes, and it's been weeks.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I agree with most of the comments already posted. My biggest complaint is the way the messages are marked. In the old format, there was an indication of which thread was updated since we last logged in. Now, all messages that we have not previously opened are marked as unread. We now have to sort out which ones we need to follow up.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I'm sorry to say this but I have to second what Teresa said. I know Anthony has been working hard to put this new format in place. I've been hoping I would get used to it but it's taking longer than I would like. I really like this forum... but the new format tires my eyes so I end up visiting less and spending less time. I guess that's not exactly helping me get used to it.

Anyway, I am hoping to post a mini trip report sometime this or next week. We had a (short) one-week stay in Cruz Bay at the same time as Isaac passed south of St. John. We'll see if I actually get it done...
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I noticed it too, but thought it was just me. Love this forum, hope it picks back up soon. Miss all the good talk about STJ...It feeds my passion.
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

I was also thinking the same thing. Probably too this is the time of year everyone takes a few days off before the unofficial end of the summer. Headed to the Jersey Shore for the weekend so I won't be checking either until next week. Here's hoping for more activity next week! :D
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

I agree with all of the above comments!
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

I see I have lost my ticker. Guess I need to figure that out!
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

I'll have to concur. Perhaps it is my age and inherent resistance to change, but I find the new format less inviting to return to. It is a great forum. I would hate to see it diminished in anyway.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Let's face it- no one like change-doesn't matter if it's here, Facebook, or other aspects of our life. That being said- Im not getting on as much just because of busy schedules and stress. I'm not sure it's my place to complain too much about a site that is run for free, maintained by Antoby who does a superb job, and has kept me well informed in the past and continues to do so now. Most important to me - it has provided some wonderful feiendships that I may not have otherwise, so I'm sticking around, even if I'm not on daily!! 8)
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I miss the big "Mark All Topics Read" button. I have to squint to look for it now, albeit it is there.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I have found that going up to the top blue line and using the ^A to enlarge the font to be very helpful in adjusting to the new forum by having larger type all around. Maybe it is just my aging eyes.
dhanc1

Post by dhanc1 »

Maybe we need to grease the wheels of the newly formatted website and talk some controversial smack. That always brings the interest (and posters) out. Throw out anything, I'll start ----I think it would be a great idea to tear down Gallows Point to construct a 12 story high rise. It would have to be themed so as to attract the most visitors. I'm thinking Elvis. You could build a huge Elvis bust that could be seen throughout the area. It would of course have to have a dock for cruise ships. Elvis music would be played 24 hours a day with a sufficient volume to drown out the Beach Bar. A large guitar shaped lazy river would wind around the whole complex. Oh, and you would need lots of activities and rides to attract as many small children as possible
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I have noticed the traffic decline as well. I agree with Teresa Rae about the format (same as that stinking Timeline on FB) But it doesn't stop me from checking the forum regularly.
I'm in the process of moving and have been without a TV (or furniture for that matter) for over a week. I've been dying for a good thread or trip report to feed my addiction and take my mind off of not having furniture.
Tickerless :(