What is on the menu this week?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mindehankins

Re: What is on the menu this week?

Post by mindehankins »

Silverheels, I'd love to hear how you prepare your broccoli rabe and chicken sausauge.. If you get a moment, would you share?

ExIslandGirl, that garlic studded pork roast recipe....Did it call for thin slivers of the orange rind as well, and pepper, all of those being stuffed into deep slits in the roast, and then roasted on a rack? I had that recipe long ago, and lost it. If that's what you're doing, I'd love to have the recipe again! That was a roast recipe that I just LOVED!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I have no recipe, Minde.
I made slits and stuffed it with partially roasted garlic then rubbed it with salt, pepper, and paprika.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Chicken fajitas with corn/ black bean salad
Chili
Bavarian sauerkraut (apples, onion, caraway seed) with pork chops and small red potatoes

I make enough to have leftovers so this is all that's planned so far.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We have a mixed-up week. Our son is going camping with his grandparents for two nights so I will not cook those evenings.

Monday (last night) - leftovers
Tuesday - chicken thighs topped with prosciutto and mozz cheese, salad with cranberries and walnuts
Wednesday - restaurant
Thursday - restaurant
Friday - chicken halves on the grill, squash and salad (assuming I still have greens on hand)
Saturday - either BBQ take out or restaurant, depending on if a friend visits (he brings the BBQ)
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

You all cook such interesting stuff....
Ours is so plain...
Tacos
BBQ baked chicken
Chili
Fetuccini alfredo
Burritos
Steak
That kind of stuff...
Favorite stuff for fall is stuff like~~
Chili with cornbread
Chicken and Dumplings
Taco Soup topped with Sour cream, cheese, etc..
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

StJChicka, mine are just basic foods! We had chili and cornbread last week.
Tonight I made the "Easy Chicken Pot Pie popovers". They were esthetically kindergarden level cooking, but they did taste good!
I also baked an apple wrapped in strips of crust for dessert, but he's too full to eat it. We'll heat it up tomorrow night.
Glad to be doing some newer things!
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Minde, how did the apples turn out? Did it work good wrapping them in the pie crust strips?
melmd

Post by melmd »

Here's our menu this week

Blue Crab stuffed portable mushrooms, ceasaer salad and fried green tomatos
Creamy chicken and spinach w/bacon over bow tie pasata and garlic bread
Meatloaf, mashed potatos, cannied carrots
BBR chicken thighs, corn on the cob and baked beans
Friday: FFY (Fend For Yourself)
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I'm much better at planning breakfast and lunch ahead than I am dinner.

However, this week I had a bit of a plan:

Monday: leftover steak over salad
Tuesday: baked cod with string bean salad (string beans, red onion, oil&vinegar)
Wednesday: spaghetti squash with Turkey meatballs and sauce
Thursday: spaghetti squash sauteed with garlic/lemon and chicken breasts
Friday: out to dinner
Saturday (company coming): shrimp cocktail, clam chowder, lobstahs, cole slaw and some other side
Sunday (same company): crockpot chili, salad and cornbread

Does anyone have a recipe for a "healthy" breakfast casserole?
janet
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

FloridaGirl, both the pot pie turnovers and the apples were less than pleasant to look at, but tasted okay. Blaine says he'll pass on the turnovers in the future, but he liked the baked apple (with or without the pastry strips.

I'm still in search of that pork roast recipe, now that XIslandgirl brought it up...... It was in one of those annual elementary school cookbooks the schools sell to make money for new projects. It was SO good!

Maybe I should post on our local craigslist, as hundreds of them are probably hanging around somewhere in town!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Just keeping my contributions to this thread real, I will report that sometimes my best laid plans go awry. Hence this week so far...
Monday: arrived home to find no mozzarella in house for pizza margharita. So, pizza with herbed goats cheese (actually quite good and not too far off the original plans)
Tuesday: didn't get home until 9pm, had a headache and the bok choy was looking sad so: pasta carbonara using some old previously cooked bacon I found in the fridge and frozen peas
Wednesday: still headache ( love Bermuda but the mold there kills my sinuses) AND I had forgotten John had to go to NYC today when I planned this weeks menus so dinner was by myself and I did not feel like cooking: a handful of plain popcorn and a handful of grapes.
Thursday: afraid to even think about it at the rate I am going this week :lol:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I'm finding this thread very inspiring!

I have recently had some changes in my family and now my family of four turned into a family of 6 with the addition of my in laws, which has changed our usual dinner plans (kids eat early, we eat at 9pm when hubby gets home). Now, we are all eating as a family and are in search of dinner ideas that will appease 6 people, including 2 small children and one vegetarian.
So, this week we've had:
spaghetti and meat sauce (one minus the meat)
crock pot pork chops and mashed potatoes (one soy "chicken" patty)
fish tacos with mango salsa
Spinach and Artichoke quiche with seasoned roasted potatoes
Leftover quiche with salad for tonight
Homemade pizza for Friday

We've been toying with the idea of creating theme nights for each day of the week, i.e. Sunday is Italian night, Monday is poultry night, Taco Tuesday, etc. Of course each week's meal can be varied to fit the theme for variety sake, and try to take advantage of sales at the store. Thinking this may make menu planning easier. Anyone ever try this?
Tickerless :(
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

This is a recipe I collected some time ago and just got around to making. It's SO good! I didn't make it in my crockpot, but it would be a great crockpot recipe!

This is a Weight Watcher's recipe, I'm not sure where I got it, because I'm not on Weight Watcher's, so if you're watching your weight this is a good one!

White Bean Turkey Chili

Ingredients:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey (SHOULD BE ABOUT 120 CALORIES PER 4 OZ)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chile peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt to taste
- ground cayenne pepper to taste
- ground white pepper to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fat free Half & Half
- 2 – 3 cups fat free chicken broth (add as needed if chili is too thick)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat, shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions

Directions:
In a large pot over medium heat, or in a crock pot on medium, combine the onion, garlic and ground turkey and saute for 10 minutes, or until turkey is well browned. Add the chile peppers, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, salt, cayenne pepper, and white pepper to taste and saute for 5 more minutes.
Add one can of the beans and the chicken broth to the pot. Take the second can of beans and puree them in a blender or food processor. Add this to the pot along with the Half and Half. Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes. If you are using this as a crock pot recipe, let simmer on low heat for about 2-4 hrs. Top each serving with 1/8 cup of reduced fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese, green onions, and 1 tbsp of reduced fat sour cream (optional). Recipe makes 4 HUGE servings.

*notes:
1. I think it could use one more can of beans.
2. I only used one can of chicken broth, and it was sort of soupy, so add the chicken broth sparingly until you get to the consistency you want.
3. I also think it was MUCH better the second day after it had sat in the fridge overnight. It got thicker and the flavors were perfectly blended. The next time I make this, I'll make it a day ahead and give it time to mellow.
4. The recipe doesn't say when to add the cilantro, but I added it in while the chili was simmering. You could also sprinkle it over the top when you serve it.

Serving size is about 2 cups
Each serving = 4 Weight Watchers Points
linne

Post by linne »

Like to see this topic, but I cannot contribute. I’m retired now and have time to go for good offers from day to day, which decide the menu. Or I take something from the freezer (like cocosmom : if I remember it). And honestly, I like to eat good food, but I don’t like to use too much time to make it.

(Just now I have a sprain ankle, so it's hubby who makes the food).

But I’m surprised that I often see: going to restaurant. Is it normal to go out eating during a week?

Okay, I can tell that we had family visiting us some weeks ago in our summerhouse (21 persons including children). We had some Spanish courses, and I can recommend “Patatas a lo pobre”, it tastes good too example to chicken, and you can make it the day before. You can find several recipes on Internet. I like it with potatoes, onions, garlic and green pepper, and the next day with parsley and a little vinagar.

Linne