What is on the menu this week?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
liamsaunt

Re: What is on the menu this week?

Post by liamsaunt »

Friday: grilled lemon-marinated chicken over Greek salad with homemade pita
Saturday: Oktoberfest style food-- grilled bratwurst and weisswursts, chicken apple sausages, roesti, sauerkraut, sautéed apples
Sunday: linguini with clam sauce, spinach salad, bruschetta
Monday: braised short ribs, pamesean-corn "butter" risotto, roasted winter squash, and whatever green vegetable is left
Tuesday: Swiss chard cannellini bean tomato soup
Wednesday: use up whatever vegetables are left, probably in some sort of egg dish
Thursday: whatever fish comes in the weekly csa delivery
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

With a nod to Liamsaunt's keeping it real comment, I didn't have to make dinner two nights last week, cause Blaine was at work soooo late. So I'm starting the week with two dishes that I didn't get to last week:
Rachel Ray's one pot chicken dish
Meatloaf
Italian sausage and broccoli raab
Chicken and biscuits
Chicken parmesan
Pork roast - I'm going to try to just recreate the deep peppered pork roast from memory.

It's neat getting ideas for new things - especially when they seem doable like Silverheels' sausage and broccoli raab! Thanks all, for the inspiration!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

linne wrote: But I’m surprised that I often see: going to restaurant. Is it normal to go out eating during a week?

Linne
I think it depends where you live. We live in a small town and within three blocks, there are three locally owned restaurants that have really good food. Especially in the summer when the weather is nice, we like to walk to dinner and sit outside.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I am braising some short ribs today. Also this week taco salad and my favorite soup recipe from this board. The one with butternut squash.
That's all I got so far this week.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We are heading to Maine so everything is planned and bought!
Chicken Parmesan
Chili with cornbread
Stuffed lobster casserole with rice
Roasted chicken with roasted butternut squash
Last night leftover buffet
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Oh....stuffed lobster casserole sounds divine!
I used a different recipe for the chicken and biscuits tonight, and it's a KEEPER! Very rich and just perfect for our tastes:http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-fabul ... etail.aspx

I probably put that link in wrong again...
Can't I just copy the url and then paste it here? Do I have to use one of those buttons up above?
lprof

Post by lprof »

mindehankins wrote:Oh....stuffed lobster casserole sounds divine!
I used a different recipe for the chicken and biscuits tonight, and it's a KEEPER! Very rich and just perfect for our tastes:http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-fabul ... etail.aspx

I probably put that link in wrong again...
Can't I just copy the url and then paste it here? Do I have to use one of those buttons up above?
It is fine... just needed a space after the colon.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-fabul ... etail.aspx
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

jmq

Post by jmq »

Had this yesterday.
Grouper Veracruz
(4) 6 oz fillets grouper or similar (also works well with tilapia, or I imagine any mild white fish)
Cooking spray
EVOO
Chopped onion
1 teasp cumin
Chopped garlic to taste
¼ cup water
2 tablesp chopped cilantro (more if you like it)
3 tablesp OJ or Triple Sec
2 tablesp or more pitted green olives (works with chopped black too, use more if you like olives - we use both)
1 tablesp fresh lime juice
1 tablesp capers
2 tablesp tomato paste
(1) 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles

Spray 13x9 baking dish, place fish in, put aside. In non-stick skillet, sauté garlic and onion in EVOO, add cumin, add remaining ingredients, bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 3 min or until slightly thick, pour over fish, bake at 350 for 17- 20 min or until fish flakes with fork.

Posted this here a few yrs ago and several liked it.
Yesterday I did it from memory and see that I forgot the cumin and tomato paste, and also chopped some mushrooms and celery into the saute, as well as adding a larger can of Wegmans chopped tomatoes instead of 1/4 cup of water and an extra small can of fire roasted chopped green chili peppers. Wound up with a perfect amount of liquid. Made it with Trader Joe tilapia over angel hair pasta. Very yummy. Hadn't had it a LONG time.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Monday - pasta with meat sauce, salad

Tuesday - Chili beans over rice. I like this recipe http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moms_chili_beans/

Wednesday - beef stroganoff if I can find the egg noodles my husband likes

Thursday - salmon, rice and whatever veggies are still in the fridge

Friday - ?

Saturday - Saturday is giving me anxiety. We are going to a wine festival during the day and then having a drop-by party (no set beginning/ending) for some friends in the neighborhood. I need to have some sort of dinner that can sit in a warmer or on the stove for 2-3 hours.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

How about this PA girl?

Clean Eating Slow Cooker Southwestern 2 Bean Chicken
Ingredients
4 raw, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8 oz. each)
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans (rinsed and drained) or 1 1/3 cup home cooked beans
1 (15 oz.) can black beans (rinsed and drained) or 1 1/3 cup home cooked beans
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes in juice, low sodium is best
1 lb. frozen and thawed corn
1 (12 oz.) jar of your favorite salsa, no sugar added

Step 1 – Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes and salsa over that and then layer on the beans and corn.
Step 2 – Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until the chicken easily falls apart when the pot is stirred.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Over the last several days, here is what we had:
Wednesday: Roasted chicken served with stir fried veggies, including TONS of bok choy (a wee bit of soy for flavor)
Thursday: Whole wheat Boboli pizza loaded with a variety of fresh mushrooms & onions and a tossed salad with homemade red wine vinegar/olive oil/dijon dressing
Friday: Grilled sirloin steaks, asparagus, and some other side dish I forget
Saturday: White bean & turkey chili served with homemade whole wheat cheesy crisps (something we made up and love).
Sunday: Sockeye salmon filets pan seared, artichokes and more whole wheat cheesy crisps.
Monday (tonight): Shiitake and baby bella mushroom marinara sauce over whole grain pasta with my Caesar salad.

Who knows what the rest of the week will be, I don't roll that way. But, at least I'm telling you all what we did have. :)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Sunday Chicken with Red Curry
Monday Meatloaf
Tuesday Country style ribs in the crock pot with suarkrut and granny smith apples
Wed Date night
Thursady Walleye Vera Cruz
Friday through sunday at the cottage so what ever I feel like
Tom
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

cocosmom - the is a definately possibility! Thanks for the suggestion.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thursday: baked haddock with roasted carrots and mashed potatoes

Friday: Got home late. Fancy grilled cheese with sharp cheddar and sauteed escarole plus leftover braised short ribs in John's.

Saturday: Too busy to cook anything elaborate: grilled burgers (choice of beef and turkey), grilled hot dogs, and potato chips. Can I just say that this meal was by far the most consumed and complimented by my group that evening (8 people) sometimes I wonder why I even bother making anything more elaborate.

Sunday: white wine-lemon basted sole with roesti potatoes, baked spaghetti squash gratin, sauteed spinach and eggplant sticks (not as popular as yesterday's burgers haha)

Monday: udon noodle bowl with tofu, cilantro, tatsoi, snap peas in a miso broth topped with poached egg

Tuesday: roasted pepper and black bean quesadilla with mango-avocado salsa

Wednesday: dinner with my sister, I think we are getting takeout from a new Lebanese place in town

Thursday: whatever fish is in the CSA box

Friday:going to Cape Cod for the weekend if John is not too jet lagged (he's arriving back from Brazil that morning) so fish!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.