Groceries STT or STJ ?

Travel discussion for St. John
PaminMaine

Groceries STT or STJ ?

Post by PaminMaine »

I have been considering renting a jeep on STT. We have not done this yet. It is actually MORE expensive to rent there by about 75/ week. Is there that much of a difference between prices on groceries to justify renting on STT ??

Hmm maybe I should just walk to that small grocery store near Red Hook and get some eggs, milk, and bread ,etc in a tote bag to carry on the ferry?
Teresa_Rae

Re: Groceries STT or STJ ?

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I've compared Jeep prices for 10 different trips and always found STT to be less expensive.

Plus, there's also less expense because you don't have to pay for the taxi on each end. The last time I did the math the car ferry was less expensive than the people ferry/taxi/baggage fees as long as you have more than two people.

We prefer to buy groceries on STT for the cost savings.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

Hm I will have to do more research today. I found 529 STT and 480 STJ at Varlack for next March.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Something to keep in mind also is that you will need to look at the car ferry times...also if something happens to your car on STJ you don't have much support since your rental company is over on STT..Just some things to consider...
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
visitstj

Post by visitstj »

We've always found the cost of jeep rental and groceries to be less on STT than STJ. We like Pueblo and Kmart for food. We like renting on STT for the convenience and ease of getting from the airport to STJ. Plus, it makes day shopping trips to STT very much less stressful.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

rwoost wrote:We've always found the cost of jeep rental and groceries to be less on STT than STJ. We like Pueblo and Kmart for food. We like renting on STT for the convenience and ease of getting from the airport to STJ. Plus, it makes day shopping trips to STT very much less stressful.
Day shopping trips?! oh heck no... I am on the beach every day. The only shopping I do is a stroll through the jewelry stores, and mongoose junction. hehehe .

Maybe I just need to see if I can pay my private taxi to Red Hook extra to let me run into Food Center for 15 min :D I have recall seeing the Marina store when we spent a week there in 2009.. Wonder if it is new??
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

We rent our cars on STT and stop at the Food Center for groceries and for prepared food for our first night. When we get to the villa we unload the cars, and head straight for the pool to watch the sunset!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

We rent STT strictly for convenience. Only groceries purchased on STT is cold beer for the ferry ride over. :wink:
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

Maybe I just need to see if I can pay my private taxi to Red Hook extra to let me run into Food Center for 15 min I have recall seeing the Marina store when we spent a week there in 2009.. Wonder if it is new??

I just got off the phone with Gumbs Taxi who told me that for the $90.00 private taxi fee you pretty much own the driver from the airport to the ferry at Red Hook and there SHOULD be no addl charges for stopping at grocery stores near the ferry.

Now for a question from me: are the food prices on STJ that much more than on STT to make it worthwhile shlepping groceries on the ferry along with luggage? There are two of us and we would only be buying breakfast and lunch items as well as some snacks and drinks--beer,wine, water and soda.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

If you're taking the people ferry I wouldn't buy a lot on STT because you have to pay extra for each piece of luggage and other bags that you don't sit with at your seat.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

tincansailor wrote:.
Now for a question from me: are the food prices on STJ that much more than on STT to make it worthwhile shlepping groceries on the ferry along with luggage? There are two of us and we would only be buying breakfast and lunch items as well as some snacks and drinks--beer,wine, water and soda.
I havent purchased groceries on STT for a few years, but I think that they were not quite as expensive as STJ.
I do remember the price on STJ of fruit was very high ( 17 for a watermellon?, 8 package for strawberries) bacon $11.. etc.
I bring a polar bear cooler packed with meat, and deli meat for sandwhiches at the beach. I will probably unpack my "kyss" bag and fill it with some fruit, eggs?, etc to carry on the ferry..

At least that is my plan for today LOL