Route to Skyflower on Bordeaux Mountain?

Travel discussion for St. John
pcs15

Route to Skyflower on Bordeaux Mountain?

Post by pcs15 »

Hello,
We are headed to Skyflower high up on Bordeaux Mountain on Sat. and I have seen conflicting information on whether we can get to the house from Centerline Rd. The realty said to go to Coral Bay and then come back up the mountain. I have seen other posts suggesting you can access directly from Centerline. Since we are getting in in the afternoon and will be trying to get there before dark we would like to be able to take the shortest route. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Pat
visitstj

Re: Route to Skyflower on Bordeaux Mountain?

Post by visitstj »

I'd try and avoid Bordeaux from Coral Bay at night, if you can. It's pretty steep in places. Under the cover of darkness may not be the best way to experience this!

Why not ask who you rented the villa from to guide you. I don't know any rental agency that doesn't provide this as a no-cost service. Besides, most rental companies want to show you all the "particulars" of the villa - this reduces the number of "how do I" calls and fixing stuff that accidentally gets broken.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Well, maybe I am confused by your post, but from the views in these photos it looks like you are IN Coral Bay, high above the harbor. We stayed up there in that area a few years ago and loved it!! High up means no bugs too!!!!! Enjoy!!
http://www.vrbo.com/182267
Chet

Post by Chet »

From the map it looks like the best route is up Castanza (Rt 108) from West Indies Rd (Rt 107). You can get there from Bordeaux Mt road, but it's a LONG way - not recommended.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
pcs15

Post by pcs15 »

Thanks for all of the replies.

I don't think I asked my question very well - I really wanted to know if we could take Bordeaux Mountain Road down from the top of the mountain and based on the last post it looks like the answer is no. So we'll go into Coral Bay and then climb up. If we could go up Bordeaux Mountain road from the house it seems like it would also be a shorter route to the north shore beaches as well.

And the VRBO posting is correct - that is indeed the house high up above Coral Bay.
Sallybm

Post by Sallybm »

We stayed at Skyflower a year ago this month - great villa, drop dead gorgeous views! Would highly recommend driving down to Coral Bay and then back up the mountain from there. That road is completely paved and while steep, with a few switchbacks ( one right before the entrance to the villa), is much better than trying to get there off Centerline. We tried that way once, in the daylight, and didn't feel the need to do it again! I don't think it would be quicker either, unless it's been paved in the last year. Enjoy your visit .. we'll be there at the end of the month and are counting the days!
pcs15

Post by pcs15 »

Thanks, Sallybm. We are really looking forward to the views from the house as I'm sure they will exceed the pictures. I'm thinking that somewhere along the line I had seen mention of Bordeaux Mountain road being paved, but that doesn't seem to be the case from the responses here.

We leave tomorrow so my countdown is very short - I'm sure you are looking forward to your trip later this month!
Pat
Chet

Post by Chet »

The steep, twisty road up from Coral Bay is paved, except for the last 1/4 mi of dirt and gravel as you near the top. Once back on the paved road at the top of Bordeaux it's still a long way out to Centerline. We recently stayed at Alta Vista at the end of Bordeaux road. Yes, you can drive from there down to Coral Bay... we came up the road once. 4 wheel drive is helpful.

I think you should try it... :twisted:
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
pcs15

Post by pcs15 »

Thanks, Chet. That at least explains the setup. We'll have to see how adventurous we are feeling!
Monkeynoclimb

Post by Monkeynoclimb »

I own the rental house Monkey No Climb which is three lots away from Skyflower on Bordeaux Mountain. We know the owners and they are quite nice. I can without a doubt state that you can pretty easily now reach both Skyflower and Monkey No Climb from Centerline Road.Bordeaux Mountain Road (Route #108) begins at the TuTu Silver Shop/Bordeaux Mt. overlook area and continues along the spine of the mountain towards Coral Bay on a paved road. When you get to a fork in that road you turn right and up a paved road to where the road changes to dirt and you go down a very small hill. You are then on a level dirt portion for a three minute drive. You don't really need 4WD unless it has been raining and that little hill is an issue. Even then our Wrangler will take it pretty easily without 4WD. Bordeaux Road then goes back to a newly paved road over the of the mountain down to our houses and continues fully paved to the hustle and bustle of downtown Coral Bay. The part of the road at the very top of the mountain that goes down to Coral Bay is called Costanzo Road by the locals but it is still Route #108 Bordeaux Mt. Road. Bordeaux Mountain Road is NOTHING to fear anymore. Try it next time.
ktblue

Post by ktblue »

wow--we are in fact renting Skyflower next week! We too will be arriving in the late afternoon, right around dark. Can the owner of Monkey No Climb let us know this: will it save any time to take the Bordeaux/dirt road option, over the usual Coral Bay-then-back-up-108 option? Also, if it is dark by the time we get there, would one of those routes be preferable over the other? Thanks so much in advance.
Monkeynoclimb

Post by Monkeynoclimb »

We have found that it saves us about 10-12 minutes to use the Bordeaux Mountain Road when we go towards Cruz Bay vs. going down to Coral Bay and up Centerline. Regarding that first night, I am not really sure what to say. My wife and I always use Bordeaux Mt. Rd even in the dark but we are used to it. I am pretty sure if you try it during the day so you can better see what you are doing you will continue using BMR. The owners of Skyflower are very nice and my wife loves his coconut shrimp. The Monkey is on the paved estate road just up the hill from Skyflower.