Professional Photos on island

Travel discussion for St. John
BAILEYBAY

Professional Photos on island

Post by BAILEYBAY »

I am toying with the idea of having photos taken this May. Do any of you forumites have suggustions as to who you may have used? Also, what is a ballpark figure for what I might expect to spend? Does $300-$400 sound reasonable...or am I way off base? It will be just me and the hubby.
MargaritaDee

Re: Professional Photos on island

Post by MargaritaDee »

Funny you should ask about that...our friends who are vacationing with us in STJ next summer just contacted Steve Simonsen today (simonsen.photoshelter.com) about taking our pictures in June. I thought he was VERY reasonable- $395.00 for the session and you get a CD with the images. I don't think you can do any better that Steve! Check him out and I hope it works out for you!
May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes...
If I could just figure out the damn ticker...St. John Vacation June 20-July 5, 2014!
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

We had Steve take pics on Trunk Bay & Cinnamon Bay Ruins in Oct. to celebrate our 25th anniversary . The pics turned out beautiful , Steve , is a great guy we had so much fun during the photo shoot .
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
mark & susan

Post by mark & susan »

We used Bob Schlesinger at Tropical Focus and were very happy with the results.

At the time in March 2011 the cost was $250 for over an hour of his time of time and a good number (40) of retouched photos on a disc that we could then get printed anywhere.
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

Hi BaileyBob,

Please read the PM I just sent you, based on my personal experience after asking the exact same question several months back.
BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

Thank you for your replys.....I think I am leaning toward Tropical Focus. Anyone have their contact info?
lprof

Post by lprof »

BAILEYBAY wrote:Thank you for your replys.....I think I am leaning toward Tropical Focus. Anyone have their contact info?
Bob Schlesinger at Tropical Focus Photography
Phone 727-871-9402 or 340-642-9696 (cells)
Email bob@tropicalfocus.com
Website http://www.tropicalfocus.com
... no longer a stranger to paradise
ABCDad

Post by ABCDad »

We do professional photos of our daughters while on St. John every other year, and believe it's well worth the time and money. We hired Bob in 2008 and 2010 and had great results. He was easy to work with, economical ($250, give or take, receiving 50 or 60 photos), professional, and creative. He did a great job for us.

For our visit a week ago, Bob was off-island, so we booked Steve for our first time ever. The photos we just received are amazing. He had our girls out on Trunk strutting around and doing hair flips and having a great time, and it shows in the photos. He took breaks to let our girls rest, showed us the results as we went along, had everyone in a great mood, got the photos back to us quickly, and was very accommodating. He was $395 and we received 150+ photos. If I can figure out how to post a picture I'll show you one or two.
ABCMom

Post by ABCMom »

One of Bob's from 2008:

047 by ABCDad, on Flickr

One of Bob's from 2010:

0403 by ABCDad, on Flickr

One of Steve's from 2012:

IMG_6753b by ABCDad, on Flickr
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

ABCmom, you girls are darling! I'll bet they have a blast modelling, too!
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

Your girls are are so cute I love their outfits & pics !
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

ABCMom, your photos are fantastic! I am about to book Steve and was wondering if I'd be annoyed to have something actually planned on vacation but after seeing your pictures, no question about it. My girls are 5 (turning 6 on island!) and 8 so as evidenced in your photos, they grow up fast and professional photos are worth every penny. Thank you for posting!