On island now, thoughts and photos

Travel discussion for St. John
toni

On island now, thoughts and photos

Post by toni »

Hi all,

First off thanks to all who responded to my post on how to get ipad pictures to show up. Assuming you are reading this then I figured out how to make tapatalk work for me.

Arrived yesterday, maybe our 9th trip since '96. Each one better I think.
It was crazy warm at home, weird weather for December.

Couple thoughts-why do we only seem to get friendly talkative taxi drivers on the way home? Why aren't they friendly chatty travelogue talking on the way to red hook? I figure there has to be newbies in the van who might have no clue what they're driving by. Heck, I'd like to learn more. It would be better for their tips I'd think too. But thats my opinion.

And why don't they go to an automated ticket counter at red hook? Why do they only start selling tickets 15-20 minutes before the ferry leaves? Tickets say they're good for 10 days I think. Plus, I'm small town friendly, I say good morning evening whatever to everyone I walk by. Ticket people are rarely friendly.

Anyway, got my rum sample at the airport, got my beer at red hook and life was good.

I always think its a hoot to see palm trees on the barge
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354754888.480404.jpg
First sunset
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354755129.930993.jpg
Great happy hour as always at Spyglass. Discovered them the last trip and really enjoy the food, prices, drinks and people who work there. We usually go to the Beach Bar the first night but they were too crowded. We went to the BB for lunch today, at one point it was just us. Have to say I'm somewhat over the BB, I think I get better food, value elsewhere, but I will say their location is fantastic.

Didn't expect to see this running on the beach this a.m. in Cruz Bay, appeared to be some one's pet? Anybody recognize it?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354755075.435823.jpg
Well I'm going to transmit this, can't seem to find a review draft button so I hope it works :)
toni

Re: On island now, thoughts and photos

Post by toni »

Hmm, I see it worked, but do the pictures have to be that small? :? Is there a way to make them bigger when I post?

Didn't want to write too much in case it didn't work. Wanted to add that I sat next to a nice gentleman on the plane who was going to Caneel and then on to a place out on Ditleff. He'd travelled a lot so it was fun talking to him.

It was a beautiful day today, few splats of rain, nothing major. We are staying inCruz Bay so we wandered all around for shopping, wharfside, mongoose, stopped in to the spice store, it smells so good!

Dinner at Sogo's tonight, as always a great meal, and their drinks are only $6 and big glasses. On vacation I appreciate bigger sized drinks :lol:
lprof

Post by lprof »

Yay, Toni! Click on the pics now. Larger.
Ziggy the pig... http://www.on-stjohn.com/2011/01/28/pig ... -for-life/ now a real porker!

I'm glad that you are enjoying the Cruz Bay vibes!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Looks good! I will have to try tapatalk!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I agree...a lot of people you come across especially at the airport, ferry, etc are less than friendly....I just be nice as I can and let it go...it's their thing...
Have a great time!!
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
ChipN

Post by ChipN »

Agreed for the most part on the "friendliness" found at the airport, taxi, and ferry terminal. Particularly the ladies selling tickets. However, on our trip last August we met the nicest most helpful lady at the booth to enter the car barge. She had a wonderful smile and gave us a nice run down of what was happening. She explained that the fee she took was the port fee and that the ferry charge would be taken on the barge heading over to St. John. We knew the routine from many previous trips but for a newby it would have been valuable info and probably saved a possible misunderstanding by them. All of that was delivered in friendly smiling package that was a joy to encounter. My wife and I both commented to one another about it. It was nice to see someone who "gets it". Kudos to her!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Good morning, Toni! Don't worry - temps went back to "seasonable" yesterday.
It looks beautiful there, this morning. Hope you have a great day and hope to get to read about it! The pig picture is too funny - would love to encounter him or her on our trip. Your pics blow up fine when you click on them. Appreciate your efforts! :D
Pia

Post by Pia »

The pig is named Ziggy and yes it is a pet - he has a facebook page :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties