3D map of St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

3D map of St. John

Post by Coconuts »

We keep a variety of aerial photos, maps, and nautical charts at Coconuts, both for our own use, and to help guests better get a sense of this extraordinary island. Earlier this year, I decided to try and make a 3D relief map of St. John. A colleague on a joint project at Harvard had just taken delivery of a state-of-the-art 3D printing system (a Fortus 400mc), which certainly helped. I underestimated the challenge of converting U.S. government elevation data sets into a working STL (sterolithography) file, but after about twenty steps, a printable file finally emerged. Rich 3D printed it, and my wife, an artist, did a great job painting it. The result is a cool mix of digital precision and impressionism. It now hangs at Coconuts, where it helps guests get a real 3D sense of St. John's topography. I chose a 2X vertical scale to make the island's contours stand out more prominently. The crevice that the Reef Bay trail follows is pretty dramatic; some violent stuff was going on at St. John's birth, some 60 million years ago. I took the liberty of making a silicone cast before the 3D map was painted, so in principle I could cast a few additional copies if anyone was especially interested (you would be on your own for painting and framing, though).

All the best,

Kevin
3D map of St. John
3D map of St. John
In process
In process
Oblique lighting
Oblique lighting
pmk

Re: 3D map of St. John

Post by pmk »

Impressive. I'm interested in learning more as things progress.

pmk
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

What a great idea!
It looks like it turned out amazing!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Wow, very cool!
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

That is really, seriously cool!!!
amy5233

Post by amy5233 »

This is really neat! I would love to get one to paint myself. How much do you want for a map?
My heart belongs on St John!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Happy New Year!

I thought about the logistics of casting some replicas of my 3D map of St. John. Making one would be pricey, since I would need to buy a gallon kit of the two-part, aluminum-filled casting epoxy. If more people were interested, each would be cheaper. A gallon would make ten 3D maps; I would reserve two for "private stock", so that leaves eight to sell. Gearing up for any more seems too much like work. So:

One: $200 each
Two: $140 each
Four: $110 each
Six: $ 95 each
Eight: $ 85 each

By the way, the 3D printer can print anything in a 16" cube, but not wanting to go right up to the edge, and given the aspect ratio of St. John, the 3D map dimensions ended up at a fairly modest 8.5" x 15". I would back the epoxy replica with a 6 mm sheet of Baltic birch plywood that would stand in for a traditional foam core backing. The frame that I used was a white on ash model 619, for 8.5" x 15" artwork; $24.72, from here: http://www.framesbymail.com/custom/619, and the brass nameplate was an "SB-2", $12.00, from here: http://www.studiob-engraving.com/brass.html. Supplying a frame and a nameplate, along with painting the map, would be the buyer's responsibility. Naturally, the 3D map doesn't fit in any Priority box, so I would need to add $14 to the prices listed above to cover a box and Priority Mail shipping charges. Payment would be via paypal, payment address to be PM'd to folks who sign up. Also, folks can say "I'll buy one if X others sign on", so the first person isn't committing to pay the high price.

Oh, and in the interest of differentiated amenities, prospective buyers should be villa renters, not owners, and ideally ones who would at least entertain the notion of staying at Coconuts some day. Hard core East-enders, take note!

All the best,

Kevin
amy5233

Post by amy5233 »

Kevin,

I will buy if we get up to four. Well, I might even consider if we get at least two of us. Can I give it afew days to see the response? I will gladly take a look at coconuts for a future stay!

Amy
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Sure, no rush, Amy. Let's see how things develop over the next week. It might need a bump now and then.

All the best,

Kevin
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I'm with Amy, I'm in at 4 :)
poidog

Post by poidog »

I'm in for one too!
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
amy5233

Post by amy5233 »

Is there something we can do with this post so that it is seen again in the Virgin Islands Online email? I think a lot of people would be interested if they saw it!

Amy
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

I would really be interested!!! Let me know. Rich :D
poidog

Post by poidog »

Any update on these?
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

We just got back from St. John last night, returning to a chilly 15 degrees with gusty winds, and I still in sandals! We were down for twelve days, had a wonderful time, and got a lot of work done. That said, I also managed to put our sailing kayak in the water and get some good sailing in, and some forum members (mnfun2bme and gang, and Cindygad and Jim) came by for a sunset and a tour of Coconuts one night. Anyway, I was thoroughly distracted during our stay, and failed to update this thread. I will make a batch of the 3D maps, and I'll set a new and flat $100 price for them. If response is tepid, I can always try to hawk them at the ferry dock. Anyone still interested should PM me, so I can provide PayPal info and get shipping addresses. I still need to order the raw material, and they have to be cast sequentially, so give me up to three weeks to deliver. As mentioned in earlier posts, you take responsibility for painting and framing.

All the best,

Kevin