The Green Flash!!!

Travel discussion for St. John
CT Beach Girls Dad

The Green Flash!!!

Post by CT Beach Girls Dad »

So we're all sitting on the deck here at villa Coconuts, drinking Bushwackers and minding our own business, watching the sun go down, talking about the green flash that we saw here last night, and low and behold the flash showed itself again - twice in two nights. Capt. John of Palm Tree Charters just told us he only had seen this four times in twelve years. Boy, we must be lucky.
psufan

Re: The Green Flash!!!

Post by psufan »

Sounds like you are having an amazing vacation and enjoying your stay at Coconuts. We are staying there in June and can't wait to see it. Hopefully we will experience some amazing sunsets and maybe treated the the green flash as well.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Lucky you!

I watched for it so many times without seeing it, I began to think it was just a myth made up to tease tourists. Then I finally saw it on Valentine's Day 2011 while on Anguilla.
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Wow! Lucky you! I've never seen it on SJ. I was lucky enough to see it twice on a cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii - out in the middle of the empty Pacific! It was very cool! Once we got to the islands I didn't see it, nor did I when I spent a week in Kauai. Beautiful! :)
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Am I correct that the flash only occurs over water? That must limit viewing locations on St. John and I assume closer to the winter solstice the better... (sun sets farthest to south).
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

http://www.wikihow.com/See-the-Green-Flash
Somewhere I thought I'd read over the ocean is the best place to see it and I thought you had to be far enough south in lattitude, BUT I have been wrong once or twice! :roll: