What to bring for a day trip to JVD?

Travel discussion for St. John
samoka

What to bring for a day trip to JVD?

Post by samoka »

We are planning to take the ferry to JVD next month :D. This is our first time and we were wondering what do most people find they need or want. Thanks
Dan

Re: What to bring for a day trip to JVD?

Post by Dan »

Bring some cash and sun screen.

What we do is stop by the Deli Grotto before we go and take a couple of sandwiches along.
The New Yorker is my fave.. Mmmmmmm....

Painkillers at Soggy Dollar and Bushwackers at Gertrudes!

http://sunshinelobster.com

enjoy!
~dan
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

I second on bringing a lot of cash. After a couple painkillers or nillerkillers, they start to flow into you like they're going to run out soon. :D
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

Bring money - soggy dollars- and a desire for a good time! It is a fun place to visit! Enjoy! :D
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

We do the ferry day nearly every trip (unless we're doing the powerboat rental). We've learned to bring:
Cash, Sun Screen, Beach Towels, Passports (duh - but double check!), a big bottle of Water, and a Camera. Basic stuff. Always have lots of fun!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Snorkel equipment, sunscreen, snacks like fruit, granola, lunch ( sandwich from Sam & Jacks or Deli Grotto) and drinks for onboard, underwater camera, t shirt or cover up ( that sun gets hot) and of course money and or card- SDB does take cards!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
samoka

Post by samoka »

No one mentioned bathing suit or is that a no brainer. Thanks for all the suggestions.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Re credit cards, if your bank charges foreign transaction fees, you will be charged X% extra for that even though they use US dollars.
Also, we were double and triple charged at Soggy Dollar as they were having trouble with the CC dialer that day, and the extra swipes they didn’t think that were going through did indeed go through, so we had to clean up that mess when the bill came.
Not sure if that was a function of shaky phone line service on JVD or just the machine behind the bar acting up on that day, which can happen anywhere. This was a few yrs ago, and havent seen anybody else post about this, so maybe their phone line service has improved or was just a random event.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
54b

Post by 54b »

Passport!!! Funny, when I saw this question, I first thought only about cash, sunscreen, sun glasses, etc. But definitely give yourself a reminder...it's the last thing I always think about when we're leaving the villa in the morning to go to JVD.

One more item I'd add to your list for a day trip to JVD is a waterproof watch with an alarm...I can't remember if the ferry back to STJ in the afternoon is at 3 or 3:30, but I do remember that it arrived and left promptly and if we'd missed it, we would have been stuck for the night.

Anyway, when you're having fun in the sun, and drinking a few painkillers, it's real easy to lose track of time over on White Bay. So the watch helps, especially if you're spending a lot of time in the water.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Don't bring food....... instead, try an amazing Chicken Roti at Gertrudes (along with a "make-your own" painkiller!).
Image[/url]
oneknee

Post by oneknee »

Pack light. Good food and drinks everywhere. Sample it all and have a great time.
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

Something nobody else has mentioned is a PEN. You have to fill out the custom forms on the way over and they do not have any pens to loan. Last time we waited in line at the customs "office" until someone finished with thier pen and then rapidly filled out the form. Works out much better if you can fill it out on the trip over.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Yes... definately bring a PEN :smile:
Passport. Cash for ferry, taxi. Credit card for other stuff. Towel. Camera. Maybe a bottle of water. Buy your other food and beverages there.
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

Great thread, bookmarking this one!

Thanks everyone
samoka

Post by samoka »

Thanks for the pen suggestion - still no one has mentioned a bathing suit. Do most people swim when they go for the day? Thanks for all the suggestions - I think we will bring water but plan on getting the rest of our nourishment (drinks :D ) on JVD. Now its just a waiting game...