Interior bedroom villa search

Travel discussion for St. John
mjaraas

Interior bedroom villa search

Post by mjaraas »

Hi all! Planning a trip to STJ in 2015 (yes i'm a tad early but while i'm landlocked and COLD in WYO it's fun to look at villas and plan!) I am searching for villas with interior bedroom access. Our kids will be 5 and 8 when we travel. I have compiled a fairly good list based on searching this forum, just looking for input or any that I may have missed that would have this setup or comments on the choices. Having a hard time deciding if I want sunset views/closer to water (love to boat watch) or a closer location to the beaches we would frequent. Any input from parents who have traveled with kids would be appreciated! We've previously stayed within walking distance of town and then our last trip was on Mamey Peak (thought the breezes there were almost too much to enjoy the pool). Neither trip involved the kids so this is quite a different villa search.

Wish List:
  • - interior bedrooms (2 bedrooms okay if one has twin beds)
    - allows kids under 8!
    - a/c - will be traveling in August (full would be wonderful, at minimum in bedrooms)
    - looking not much further out than chocolate hole area or coral bay
    - pool for the kiddos (would be nice if it was viewable from living/kitchen areas - on same level so they can play while i cook)
    - Under $3000 a week (we'd like to actually stay for 10 days so this would be important)
Options so far based on past threads on here:
  • - Le Lapin II
    - Morgan Point
    - Soul Island (a bit out of budget but I love...of course)
    - Sea Dream
    - Sea Wind
    - Perelandra
    - Hale Lani
    - Jazz Villa (have heard the living areas can get really hot?)
Have I missed any great options with interior bedrooms?
chicagoans

Re: Interior bedroom villa search

Post by chicagoans »

Rhumb Runners in Coral Bay (up the hill from Crabby's) has 2 bedrooms on the 2nd floor with an interior staircase. 2nd bedroom has twin beds. We stayed there about 4 years ago and had a great time. Beautiful views, nice pool. Paved road.

Others I have looked into (for the same reason - interior bedrooms - when our kids were younger) but haven't seen in person:
- Caneel Trailside Cottage (2 BR on either side of family room; king / 2 twins)
- Fun and Contentment (2 BR on either side of family room; not sure if 2 kings or if one of the BR has 2 twins.) Unpaved road.
- Swogjan's Dragon (2 BR on level with kitchen: king / 2 twins; 3rd BR is on lower level accessed via outside stair. Thinking you could use just the 2 interior BRs.)
- Waterlemon Villa (I think this one has interior rooms but not positive)

Note that I usually kept my search to Coral Bay area and we travel over the holidays when rates are high, so these villas are on the affordable side.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Idyllic, through Vacationvistas, if it is in your price range.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Hi there,
We've stayed at Morgan Point and liked it. the pool is in a weird spot and will require adult supervision for the kids, but AC throughout the entire villa and affordable. GREAT views but a steep drive way. VERY comfortable beds. We liked the locations...very close to town.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We are staying at Caneel Trailside next month with our 7yo and I can report back to you on that one.

I remember someone mentioning recently that Jazz gets extremely hot in the common areas, which might be a problem in August.

We really liked Splendore a few years back but I don't know if one of the master king beds can be converted to twins or not. It is worth checking into, Vacation Vistas has it.
myluckydog

Post by myluckydog »

Marbella (Virgin Grand)
Time Out
Darcini
Viridian Garden
Bay Rum Breeze
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Tickerless :(
mjaraas

Post by mjaraas »

Thanks for all the info! Had to cross off Darcini-$1600 out of budget, Time Out-no kids under 8, Bay Rum Breeze-looks great but we stayed right below last trip and want to explore other areas.

I did add Far Niente, idyllic, Fun and Contentment (possibly-have to decide if the boys could sleep together without fighting ;), and Rhumb Runners now in contention. I think I've crossed Jazz Villa off due to the hot living area.

A couple that are on the verge of the budget, not sure if last minute discounts for August travel would be offered. Splendore, Argonauta, Assesandra and Marbella looks amazing. But as they say champagne taste on a beer budget ;)
juliebud

Post by juliebud »

We stayed at Far Niente last July, with our 6, 3 and 1 year old, and loved it! The only thing I had wished was that the pool was right of the kitchen! You can send me a PM if you have any questions!!
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Splendor e and Argonauta rarely if ever are discounted. Idyllic would be great as the pool is down a set of stairs and on to a separate deck. The pool has a great cabana on its own deck. We have stayed there but not with kids.
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

Star struck in Gift Hill has interior bedrooms. We are staying in a few weeks with 4 kids between 5-8 so will let you know!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Alta Vista on Bordeaux Mountain looks really nice (new) and it sounds like the 3 BR are all accessed from the interior (while the master also has an exterior entrance.)

http://www.destinationstjohn.com/home.p ... ta%20Vista

Looks very reasonably priced for a nice villa with pool and hot tub.
mjaraas

Post by mjaraas »

chicagoans wrote:Alta Vista on Bordeaux Mountain looks really nice (new) and it sounds like the 3 BR are all accessed from the interior (while the master also has an exterior entrance.)

http://www.destinationstjohn.com/home.p ... ta%20Vista

Looks very reasonably priced for a nice villa with pool and hot tub.

Alta Vista...what!? I thought I knew what area I wanted to stay and I quite honestly can't believe this is on our budget. It looks flipping amazing. This. Just. Got. Complicated. :lol:
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

You can always ask to sign a waiver to have children of whatever age at a particular villa. When we rented Bay Rum Breeze I signed a waiver stating that the owner wasn't responsible if something should happen to our toddler. Often times the restrictions are because of the pool and/or steep drop-offs. I have also inquired with other villas that said young children weren't allowed but they agreed to do the waiver.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
mjaraas

Post by mjaraas »

Teresa_Rae wrote:You can always ask to sign a waiver to have children of whatever age at a particular villa. When we rented Bay Rum Breeze I signed a waiver stating that the owner wasn't responsible if something should happen to our toddler. Often times the restrictions are because of the pool and/or steep drop-offs. I have also inquired with other villas that said young children weren't allowed but they agreed to do the waiver.
That's good to know, thank you. Some of the villa companies seemed pretty adamant about it but I may have to go back and look at some we ruled out because of the age factor. I understand the liability issue and we'd be happy to sign a waiver.