No pic trip report

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

No pic trip report

Post by Xislandgirl »

Flights on AA on the way down were a non event.
Rachel picked us up and we were on the 3pm ferry. Picked up the car at STJ Car rental. The credit card machine was not accepting Amex or Discover, still not when we left, so just an fyi for folks traveling in the near future.

We made a quick stop to say hello to a friend and then headed to our friend's house where we would be staying. We stayed in what will be a rental suite in the future. I will save my review for when it is complete, but suffice it to say that this will be a very successful rental. We had a large room with a small fridge/freezer, convection/ microwave, coffee maker, 2 sitting chairs, small table with 2 charges, large bedroom with stone shower, great patio, coolers, beautiful linens, etc. It is perfect for folks that don't need to cook full meals. Stayed Tuned for more details :)

We visited for a bit and headed into town to have dinner at Ocean Grille. We had never been and we really enjoyed it.

Day 2: a bit rainy and overcast so we did some wandering around town and then grabbed a sandwich at Deli Grotto when the sun came out. We headed to Maho and just lounged on the beach. Back to the house to clean up and meet a friend in town. Our other host was flying in so we met him at the dock, headed to the house and we all had dinner together.

Day 3: Coffee on the patio, perfect morning. We grabbed sandwiches at Sam and Jacks and headed to Jumbie. Holy cow it was crowded. I am not a fan of high season, but we toughed it out! We headed back to the house and cleaned up and went into town to try and meet up with some friends. We kept missing them at different places so we went in search of dinner. Not an easy task. Everyplace was packed. We ended up at Joe's Rum Hut and had a good dinner

Day 4: This is the day that we had plans to do new things! We headed out with our friends to Honeymoon. Sandwiches from Sam and Jacks, again. YUM. Hiked in from Caneel and just hung out. This was the first day I got in the water. It was just too darn cold for me :). We bought drinks on our way out and headed back to the house for napping. Then we headed out to Coral Bay. We stopped at Dianne (pia) and Les' house to check it out. What a great job they have done and then headed to Aqua Bistro for Ponzu Tuna. OMG! it was so delicious

Day 5: I had some friends on island and they had rented an Ocean Runner and invited us along for the day.
We had an awesome Captain/Guide. His name is Jay and he lives on a boat in Cruz Bay with his wife and 2 daughters and is a minister as well. Very nice, highly safe, and a true gentleman.
We checked in at Great Harbor to visit a friend of ours that is now running Wendell's World. It is a small beach bar before you get to Foxy's. After a nice visit, we headed to Soggy Dollar for lunch and then finished the day with Ivan, On the way home we had to tow in another Ocean Runner boat. I will leave it at that.
Dinner was at the bar at High Tide

Day 6: Final day. We grabbed a quick sandwich at Starfish and headed to Gibney. The gate was open and there looked to be cars down below so I figured there was an event. We headed to Francis instead.
It was busy and a little cloudy but we were happy to not be in CT in 3 feet of snow. There was a large group next to us. 3 families and one single guy. The adults spent the majority of their time in the water chatting. The one single guy was overly loud and talked non stop. I mean, he never stopped talking for over 1.5 hours. His voice was so loud that eventually we packed up and left. I get that everyone enjoys the beach differently but please be aware that you are not the only ones on the beach.
The weather was still cloudy so we went back for afternoon naps and then headed into town for dinner at Rhumblines. Back to the house for a glass of wine while watching a bit of the Grammy's.

Day 7: Travel day. Lunch at High Tide, ferry to STT, Rachel brought us to see her new house, grabbed a porter at airport and then the rest of the day was pretty terrible and we finally fell into bed at 2:30am

Random Thoughts:
Not a huge fan of traveling in High Season
Make a reservation for Friday night at Aqua Bistro and get the Tuna. Best meal of the trip.
Sam and Jacks has better sandwiches than Deli Grotto, hands down.
If you want a cheap sandwich, the pre-made wraps at Starfish are $6.50 and big enough for 2
It is always fun to meet Internet friends on island
pswlrw

Re: No pic trip report

Post by pswlrw »

X - sounds like you have a great time, as always. Hope to be on island again with you sometime. I am heading back in May for Lauren's college graduation :shock: .
Paula

shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

no photo's :roll:
missing 3 ft of snow vs busy beach you made the right pick :)
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

shoemak38 wrote:no photo's :roll:
missing 3 ft of snow vs busy beach you made the right pick :)
I only took pics with my phone and I can not seem to get them to upload through the app!
Mary L

Post by Mary L »

Thanks for the trip report. I saw your suite that you stayed in, it's very nice, I might have to stay there someday. And Aqua Bistro is one of my favorites. So glad you had a great time, but who wouldn't. :D
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Any idea when that rental will be available to the general public?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think they are targeting fall
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

We'll be there in June and normally pick up sandwiches from Deli Grotto but we will definately check out Sam and Jacks. Thanks for the tip!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Xislandgirl wrote:I think they are targeting fall
Thanks. I'm still flexible on what I am doing the first week of October so I was curious.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We will give Sam and Jack's a try but we have to go to Deli Grotto for the CRACK BARS!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

It wasn't that the sandwich was terrible, it is just that Sam and Jack's makes a much better one!
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Welcome back to the Great White North!! Always love to read your thoughts...very insightful!!
:D
brenda

Post by brenda »

Sounds like you had a great trip and seeing friends there makes it all the better :D . I have never been in high season, but think I will stick with shoulder season when we usually go. I agree, Deli Grotto is good but Sam and Jacks is excellent! The Hammy Sammy is delish! It has the crispy french fried onions and a pancetta aoli, greens, etc. At least you missed all of the snow. Enjoyed your report. Meeting friends old and new make it so much fun!
Going "home" again October 26th!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Agree on the Sam and Jack's endorsement. We have gotten sandwiches from both places twice this week and s&j's is awesome.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Glad you had a great trip.

"It is perfect for folks that don't need to cook full meals. " Sign me up!
janet