Hello!! (new here)

Travel discussion for St. John
3BeachBabies

Hello!! (new here)

Post by 3BeachBabies »

Hello All!

I've been reading for a few days and just wanted to say 'hello'. We are in the process of planning our first trip to the island - looking at next Feb. 'We' are two 30 somethings (ok, some of us may be 40 something) couples all needing a break from each of our three little girls! I'm starting to research houses and trying to get familiar with as much as I can.

In the coming days I'd love to ask your opinions and suggests on houses? We've decided Cruz Bay vicinity over Coral Bay for nearness to restaurants and bars - suffice to say that eating in restaurants sans toddlers is a luxury in and of it self.

Cheers to you all!

Ej
FinsUp

Re: Hello!! (new here)

Post by FinsUp »

Welcome!! You have definitely come to the right place to get lots of valuable information!!
sherban

Post by sherban »

Welcome....escaping the toddlers for a week, huh....cool!

BTW, I think houses are called villas on STJ.... :lol:

Have a great journey!
3BeachBabies

Post by 3BeachBabies »

Villas! Got it! :oops:
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Welcome!! Planning and anticipation is half the fun! :D
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Welcome, wealth of knowledge here on the board. And lots of love! :wink:

Planning in itself can be a mini vacation.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Hi there, Welcome!
I'm in a similar boat, but can't seem to get away without my two little ones in tow. If I can help in any way, just ask. For your next trip if you want to bring the kids, I may have lots of advice.
Tickerless :(
Beesmom

Post by Beesmom »

Welcome!
Some things to think about when deciding on a villa: Price range, a/c (usually in bedrooms only but there are some villas with central air), and pool and / or hot tub.
Have fun hunting!
-Sandy
Beachnut513

Post by Beachnut513 »

WARNING!!!!!! Once you go to this island you will soon fall in love with it! There will be no other islands around! Just St. John! But that's cool too!
3BeachBabies

Post by 3BeachBabies »

Thanks everyone!

Villa Budget is $4000 although would really like to be closer to $3500. As of right now, we are thinking Feb but April between prices and all the comments I see about cold/warm ocean water, is tugging at me. I know our coin would go further in April but it's also the nicest weather of the year where we live. Regarding the villa; pool, view and ac in bedrooms. Outdoor space in top of the list for villa 'wants'. We really just want to a week of good vibes, some drinks, tasty food and to be out on the water as much as possible! Although starting to research the cost of said water time is having me rethink villa budget :?

And yes, the 'fun' of planning a full year in advance is what's getting me thru this year when we have no island plans.

Re: leaving the toddlers. We have no family in the US so leaving them is A) a rare treat B) something that take a fair amount of planning to bring family down.

Looking forward to learning lots and getting to know you and the island over the coming year. Cheers!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I also wanted to welcome you, and encourage you to join in and research to your heart's content! And I have to second Beachnut LOL!
3BeachBabies

Post by 3BeachBabies »

mindehankins wrote:I also wanted to welcome you, and encourage you to join in and research to your heart's content! And I have to second Beachnut LOL!
Hi Mindehankins! It was your link on Tripadvisor for your trip report that led me to this site. Really enjoyed reading about the adventures of you and your daughter.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Beachnut513 wrote:WARNING!!!!!! Once you go to this island you will soon fall in love with it! There will be no other islands around! Just St. John! But that's cool too!
Yup, I have to also agree with Beachnut, to me there is no other island search but STJ, happy planning and welcome to the forum!
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Welcome! You will enjoy this forum. Everybody is very helpful!
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Welcome to the forum!
I found this place when planning our 1st trip in 2004, and we've been 9 times since :) The information I received made a huge difference in our vacation. The friends we've made on and off Island is such a treat :)
We have only been once in the winter months, in January and we didn't find the water too cold. I am a wimp and hate cold water. Make sure the villa you choose has sun on the pool all day, and/or the pool is heated!
Here is a link to villa maps that Sherban posted. It's the best thing going to check out villa locations!

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&i ... 2&t=h&z=14

Happy Planning :)

P.S. You cannot ask too many questions!