Best Mask defogger??

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

Best Mask defogger??

Post by SuefromMA »

Hi, all!

Looking for recommendations to keep snorkel masks from fogging up. I seem to have pretty good luck with the old toothpaste routine. But, my husband - not so much. We will be heading to Virgin Gorda first, then St. John last.

So, either need suggestions for products sold on Virgin Gorda or online. We have an "old" bottle of TR-17 Instructor's Choice, but, for the life of me, I am not sure if we used that last year or not.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you!
Sue (& Jim)
luvinsun

Re: Best Mask defogger??

Post by luvinsun »

we have used every kind of defogger out there, and spent a lot of money on them all... but last trip we were totally convinced that toothpaste is the best. Plain old white paste.....
Tami
Image[/url]
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

I use Baby Shampoo for my guests on my boat. Never a foggy day.
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Another vote for diluted baby shampoo...I bought a small spray bottle and put part water part baby shampoo...works like a charm..:)
[/url]
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Huh, toothpaste and baby shampoo? We just spit in our masks and none of us had any fogging. Plus, you always have your spit with you :D
Pia

Post by Pia »

If it is a new mask you need to clean first to remove the factory "seal" - use good old non abrasive white toothpaste. Once removed 50% Baby Shampoo with 50% water sprayed inside and out, smear around and then one swish in the ocean :)

Ys you can spit but who wants too :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

If you have the right container for it on hand, the dilute shampoo or dish-washing solution works fine, but Low Key also sells a very effective defogger in a convenient small plastic pop-top dispense bottle that fits in swim trunk pockets. Two drops, smear it around, a light ocean rinse, and you're good to go.

All the best,

Kevin
jmq

Post by jmq »

If you are prone to fogging, you may need to be more actively conscious of NOT breathing through the nose. Focus on that a few times to train yourself better and it will also help.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

On the dive boat, Low Key uses ordinary dish soap. You put a finger over the opening and tip the bottle over. Take that little spot of soap and spread it over the lens, then you rinse it in the bucket of water. NEVER squirt the soap into the mask! You will get too much and it will get in your eyes. This is particularly bad when diving. Spit also works.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I like Sea Gold, but diluted baby shampoo would be much cheaper. (It's also gentler on the eyes than dish soap.)
trptman

Post by trptman »

Pia is right - the key is a clean mask. Before your trip, clean the inside glass and silicone thoroughly with Soft Scrub (ideal) or white tooth paste. Make sure the glass is squeaky clean. For diving or snorkeling, I use 50/50 JJ baby shampoo and water in a travel spray bottle. One small squirt in each lens - you can even do this well in advance and let it dry. Just about a tsp of water or less of water inside the mask to swirl around as you are ready to get in the water and you should be good to go.

I typically use Soft Scrub about once per year on the glass to get rid of any chemical build-up that occurs.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We use Sea Gold. Its about $5 for a bottle. A bottle usualy last me about 2-3 years.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We use Sea Drops:
http://www.amazon.com/McNett-Drops-Anti ... k+defogger

I've had a bottle for, I don't know, 8 years and after yearly STJ trips we still have plenty.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
luv2travel

Post by luv2travel »

J&J No More Tears Baby shampoo for me. Used a few "commercial" types and thought me eyes were going to burn out. The baby shampoo does not burn the eyes and I have never diluted it with water, just straight from a small travel size. A drop on each lens, rub it in and then swish with water. Usually one treatment last the day. I keep the bottle in my snorkel bag.
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thanks all!

Diluted Johnsons Baby Shampoo, it is! Can't wait to test it out in April!

WooHoo!!!

Sue