Texaco station closing?

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Texaco station closing?

Post by Anthony »

Looks like the gas station may be shutting down - from a source on island:

<blockquote>"There has been no official word or announcement but it looks like O'Conner's gas station is shuttering today. Yesterday VITRAN busses were arranging with E&C to get diesel there starting today and Texaco was out of regular and only had premium. Looks like they finished draining the tanks today and they are not re-ordering more fuel, and the closed signs are going up."</blockquote>
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

So, for those of us who are not yet familiar with the gas stations on St. John, is there another gas station in Cruz Bay?
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

I do believe there is one at the Pine Peace market area on the way to the Westin.
JT

Post by JT »

I guess Mr. O'Conner is going to be giving his undivided towards his project in Coral Bay.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Eric on St John

Now E&C too..........

Post by Eric on St John »

Just to add to the all the fun, E&C now says they are closing to do their tank maintence and brand change over from Domino to something else. They sent out a letter back in July saying they would close for August and then never did. Now they say they are closing next week....period.

Sounds like coporate Texaco was working on the assumption they had to be out by Dec. but the planners for the Roundabout are indicating that they can stay until Feb. and are issuing them an "offical" letter to that effect. They need a few months to rip out the tanks and meet epa clean up requirements etc....

Probably take a few days to shake out, but looks like Texaco will be begged and prodded into staying open another month while E&C is closed.

I would not be surprised if this is somewhat manuevering on O'Conner's part to ensure a good location for his new place and that everyone appreciates having Texaco.....that may be unfair! Its just my opinion.

In any case, Texaco is out of gas right now and it will take a least a day to get it delivered. Just so long as it happens by the end of next week!
Eric on St John
Pia

Post by Pia »

So guy's - just a follow up on what Eric is saying, the only gas station to have any gas will be in Coral Bay. The rumor mill is that Texaco will not be reopening, period, and that the only other gas station in Cruz Bay will be closed for at least 2 months (this was in todays paper)- just a heads up if you are renting a car and need to fill up before returning it. Another problem is that we are unsure how much gas the tanks at Coral Bay can hold especially for the whole island - yikes !! Now having said that the rumor mill may be different by this time tomorow :D

Luv ya all

Pia
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh my! that doesn't sound good. I assume none of the rental places have their own tanks?
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

The government took the land by emminent domain due to issues with the traffic flow around the intersection of all the large trucks due to moving the car barges to Enighed Pond.

Here is the VI Daily News Article from today.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/i ... d=17596355
StJohnRuth

Today's News

Post by StJohnRuth »

"Public Works Vows to Operate Cruz Bay Gas Station If Necessary
If the local government and Texaco Caribbean can't come to a meeting of the minds regarding the company's gas station on St. John, the Public Works Department will operate a retail gas station, Deputy Public Works Commissioner Ira Wade said Thursday at a meeting in Cruz Bay Park."
Link to article:

http://www.onepaper.com/stjohnvi/?p=1153542854
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

thanks for the update, Ruth.