Alternative to the Snorkel Vest?

Travel discussion for St. John
coredumpster

Alternative to the Snorkel Vest?

Post by coredumpster »

On the topic of safety that has come up, many people have mentioned the snorkel vests. I don't like them, so I don't wear them, but the thought of the added safety they can provide does make me think. I'm very comfortable in the water, even deep ocean, as I've been swimming my whole life and am a strong swimmer. I swim a lot, in an adult swim league and as part of triathlon training and racing, I swim a lot in open water races. I also scuba dive, so all of this has added to a complacency on my part, that I can handle anything I'll encounter while snorkeling.

The recent stories in the news, and some of the anecdotes posted here are making me rethink my stance on just relying on my swimming ability to get me out of any trouble I encounter.

A cross-over from triathlon and open-water swimming, that I think would make a good alternative to the snorkel vest, are some swimming aids that are designed to be unobstructive until they are deployed. Unlike the vest, they stay out of the way unless deployed, and then they inflate with a co2 cartridge. Let me preface this by saying that I have no financial stake in any of these companies that make these types of devices. I simply think it's a good idea from one sport that I like, that could easily carry over to another sport that I like.

An example of one would be: http://myswimit.com/Home.html It would not be in the way like a vest is while normally snorkeling, but would be there for those "what if" situations. Another similar product, but I can't find it now, is worn like a belt, and includes a bright orange "tube" that sticks up in the air to help call attention to you if it's deployed.

Just a thought, to help everyone stay safe out there, and make it back to snorkel again. Are there other alternatives that people use besides the vests?

-Chris
jmq

Re: Alternative to the Snorkel Vest?

Post by jmq »

A water ski belt like this worn around the waist.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
RickG

Post by RickG »

We like the belts too. They are fun for rocky beaches. Crabby's rents them in Coral Bay.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
augie

Post by augie »

I like the "inflate when needed" devices like in the OP. I would only deploy them in an emergency situation. I like to be able to freedive when snorkeling, and when swimming against the current, that added buoyancy makes it harder to do so.
Come see us!
Monkeynoclimb

Post by Monkeynoclimb »

My wife and I use the yellow belts every time we snorkel. They are great when you want to take a break and just bob in the water, need to clear your mask or you get a leg/foot cramp. They are light weight and very easy to use. It also gives you a lot of peace of mind.
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

I just picked up a couple of the Scubapro vests. They are full torso and much better than the typical vest: http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/SCPCSV.h ... MgodEUEAPw
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

Muhaha
When are you going to use that vest? I've had my eye on it as a less intrusive peace of mind kinda thing. The deployable vest looks good too.
KT
hockeyboy09

Post by hockeyboy09 »

Hey I'd get one of those scuba pro vests but it would hide my six pack (ha, not).

The water skiing belts look terrible for snorkeling for someone who is a good swimmer. They have to create drag as you're swimming. Nice for a so-so swimmer though.

I just have a plain yellow blow up vest (ironically yellow is a shark's favorite color). I've never inflated it, and the only time I would is if I was in a situation where just staying above water was critical. e.g. severe cramps or being swept out to sea.

The vest doesn't get in the way at all, and it's nice to have when you're at a site that is several hundred yards from shore.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

That scubapro vest looks really good. I purchased a couple of the inflatable snorkel vests that you see the cruise people wearing last year and the people who tried them hated them and refused to wear them after one time. I ended up leaving them behind at the villa.

This is the type of snorkel vest my niece wears:

I bought it at Low Key. She says it is very comfortable. It's especially useful because it doubles as a life jacket when we are on a boat (kids under 13 are required to wear a life vest on a boat as per Coast Guard rules). I recently purchased one in an adult size for my nephew to wear on some of the longer snorkels he wants to do this summer (Tektite, Pelican Rock). More for my peace of mind than anything else. I am concerned about the bulk and potential drag during a long snorkel though and may exchange it for that scubapro vest once it gets here and I can assess it on him in person.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Muhaha wrote:I just picked up a couple of the Scubapro vests. They are full torso and much better than the typical vest: http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/SCPCSV.h ... MgodEUEAPw
We talked to a guy wearing one of those in February. He said it was very comfortable and my husband actually told me to buy him one before our Cozumel trip. I am getting one for myself too. We will be doing off-shore snorkeling down there and after a horrible open water experience in the Dominican Republic, he is ready to be prepared.
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

KTinTX wrote:Muhaha
When are you going to use that vest? I've had my eye on it as a less intrusive peace of mind kinda thing. The deployable vest looks good too.
I will be using it in my upcoming trip to Anegada in 3 weeks. I will be sure to give a review on the Scubapro vest when I return. But, I have tried it on and it looks and feels really good, basically fitting like a rash guard and is made from the same material. It is a bit more expensive, but worth it for not getting in the way like the horse-collar style vests.
UF Prof

Post by UF Prof »

Ditto on the ScrubaPro vest. It is easily inflated if needed; and if not inflated, it makes a good sun protection for your back. These vest fit snug, zips up the side, and cause no drag if not inflated. The company recommends buying one size smaller which I initially did, but it was too tight. Returned it and got my normal size. It fits snuggly enough and stays in place well. It takes up very little room in your suitcase. The really nice part is that you can inflate when needed. It looks pretty cool too (holds in the stomach so there is no hang over on board shorts :D )
Its been a hell of a ride, destination still unknown!