What do you like to cook at your villa?

Travel discussion for St. John
Bluwater

Love this thread -

Post by Bluwater »

We split between dining in and dining out....and I am the cook when we dine in. This was our menu plan for this last visit. I have recipes for any of these that I can email out. Some are a little complex, but most are simple.

Dinners Include:
Curried Conch
Red Snapper Grilled in Banana Leaves
Mediterranean Pizza
Grilled Chicken Kebabs in Pita Pockets with Greek Cream Sauce
Grilled Caribbean Lobster Pizza
Chicken Roti
Texas Bar-b-que
Thai Shrim Curry

Sides include:
Plantains Grilled with Balsamic-Basil Glaze
Cous-Cous (veggie, curried or parmasean)
Grilled eggplant
Grilled Green and Yellow Zucchini Fans
Avocado Salad
Greek Salad

Mexican Ceviche

Lunches:
Gazpacho
Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Pesto
Grilled Portobello steak sandwiches
Curried Chicken Salad

Breakfasts:
Caribbean French Toast (made with french bread stuffed with bananas)
Huevos Rancheros
Eggs Benedict with Salmon
Lox (regular grilled Salmon instead) and Bagels with cream cheese, red onion and capers
Various omlets, which can easily incorporate the leftovers from the night before, especially, steaks or veggies --- shhhhhh, don't mention "leftovers" in my house! Bad word!

Desserts:
Coconut Sorbet
Passion Fruit Sorbet
Flan
Cocada - coconut custard
Lemon Mousse with fresh berries
Creamy Mango Sorbet

Also, for desserts, we took packets of Betty Crocker cookie mix with us and made cookies on some nights in the villa - serve with a bowl of ice cream and you've got instant sugar pleasure!
Last edited by Bluwater on Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bluwater
RickG

Post by RickG »

Yum. Were you staying on STT? I could not find conch last year on STJ. I spoke to the fella at the Fish Trap and he said he can't afford to carry it.

Cheers, RickG
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We do breakfast in many mornings - simple stuff like toast, english muffins. For lunch, we'll pick up some lunch meat and prepare sandwiches/snacks for the beach.

The closest we've come to dinner in is take out pizza. We love to eat out and St. John has so many great restaurants.

enjoy,
janet
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

Hi RickG,

Yes, we were on STT. I had to have a local friend go get the conch for me - sunrise at the fish market in Frenchtown - and not easy to come by for those of us just visiting.

I'll have to find an easier way for us visitors to get fresh conch for cooking. Who can resist?
Bluwater
RickG

Post by RickG »

Here in Northern Virginia I buy fesh conch at the Korean groceries. I used to be able to get Goya frozen ground conch, which was most convenient for conch fritters. The fresh conch is nice since I can pound the hell out of it and chop it into bigger pieces for a better presentation.

Cheers, RickG
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Just had tuna steaks on the grill last night seasoned with "Black Voodoo Grill Rub" from some of St John Spice's; reminded us when we had the same while on STJ last June.

Our grill rubs are getting low; guess we'll just have to pop on down to STJ to pick-up some more. :D
Bob & Anita