Need help - One bedroom w/awesome shower

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

Need help - One bedroom w/awesome shower

Post by SuefromMA »

Hi, forum friends!

We just arrived home on Monday night from our amazing 6 night stay on Virgin Gorda and our 5 night stay on St. John.

On our first day on St. John this year, we just looked at each other and said - "Okay - next year we are spending ALL our time on St. John."!!!!

So, we are on the "hunt" for a one bedroom villa for 10 to 11 (most likely 11) nights at the end of April, 2014. We would "like" the keep the per night rate to under $250, if possible. We really do not want to stay "way out" in Coral Bay. But, are up for anything between Cruz Bay and Bordeaux Mountain locations.

We stayed at lovely Cielo Vista on Gifft Hill this year and LOVED it. But, found that we never used the pool. So, a pool and/or hot tub are not real priorities. Maybe we would use them if they were heated and or solar-warmed. Or - I guess - if we were somewhere longer than just the 5 days that we were this year, maybe we would spend more day time at the pool. But, again, pools/hot tubs are not high on our list of priorities.

Strange as it may sound, at the TOP of "my" list is a really nice shower! At Cielo Vista we had a gorgeous tiled shower, with pebble floor and a view overlooking the ocean that was to-die for. Don't necessarily need an ocean view - but, we like that open-air romantic stoned-worked or tiled shower. Again, not a deal breaker - but, something that I would like.

It will be just the 2 of us. We like comfortable furniture and a view from the patio would be nice, too. I know that there have been many threads re: moderately or budget priced villas - but, my eyes were glazing over last night searching all the prior posts. So, thought I would just throw this out here.

Thanks for any suggestionsl
Sue (& Jim)
mbw1024

Re: Need help - One bedroom w/awesome shower

Post by mbw1024 »

Hi Sue...welcome back! Don't know if you recall but you and I have talked a few times about Cielo Vista. When it was off the rental market and then back on. We stayed there our last visit in Nov 2011. Since then they have had a HUGE price increase that I just don't see is worth it. I don't think we would return there at that price.
It is a nice place though and I'm with you on the showers. They are GREAT in both bedrooms!

I can think of one place I toured that had a cool shower - no view. I need the name to come to me and check the price. I think it is a little above your budget.
Will return when I think of something :)
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thanks, Marybeth!

"Yes" - I remember you. Price was a little steep, but we got a little "consideration" for being return guests. Plus, it was JUST for 5 nights. Plus - it is our 20th anniversary this year.

I can "always" think of a "good" reason to go "over-budget". As I am sure that I will for next year, as well!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Here is the one I was thinking. When I looked at it, it was renting for $2250. Again, a price increase since then.
The master bath has a very cool stone shower but no view.
I liked this property a lot. The pool is a little small but for you not really a concern. This house is really "pod" living. If I recall kitchen and master are in one pod, the middle pod is the main living area, and the 3rd pod which is the opposite end from the master is the guest room pod.

http://www.vivacations.com/Unit/Details/35852
eala

Post by eala »

I've looked into staying at the Sea Cottage owned by Full Moon. I believe it's in the Bordeaux Mountains (Carolina Valley) and has garden shower. Definitely in the price range and really cool owners.
Don't sweat the small stuff!
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Garden By the Sea has some of the prettiest showers I've seen, although they don't have views. Take a look and you'll see what I mean: http://gardenbythesea.com/bb.html This is not a villa but a very colorful and charming B&B. I don't think I'd want to spend a long time in a B&B (too expensive eating out!) but someday I'd like to spend 2 or 3 days here on the way to a villa.

Cactus Flower is a small but very romantic looking little cottage in Fish Bay with a lovely stone and tile outdoor shower: http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p963889#photos

Coconut Hill and Skyflower both say they have outdoor showers, but don't have pictures. They are both on the Coral Bay side of Bordeaux and in your price range. I'm staying at Skyflower this summer and will take pictures of the showers!
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Hi......If you don't need a "real" swimming pool then I would give a second vote to "Magic View" . And staying that many nights...you might be able to neg. a little better price. :)

Sherry
" I believe there's Magic here...."
papabou

Post by papabou »

sue, we stayed at magic view mentioned by maryb in april 05 when called temptress. she's just below cv but located on upper rockridge rd so shorter/easier drive into cruz bay. views are from great cruz bay, choc hole, hart bay, outer lien bay, ditliff point and on to rams head. when we were there we had sunrises over rams head and sunsets over south side of stt. maryb's memory is correct, 3 separate pods. from left to right looking out: guest bedroom and bath with own deck; the great room with large covered veranda; and then kitchen/dining/master pod. huge master with enormous stone bath, just no view from shower as i recall but there is a private deck for the master bdrm too. utlimate privacy for 2 couples since bedrooms probably 75 feet apart!
only thing we didn't like was all steps from parking space down to villa. but you did have a nice view from!
she was a little tired when we stayed there but i believe she was completely redone when sold and name changed. pool is very small dip pool not much bigger than a king bed.

papabou
papabou

Post by papabou »

sue, my bad. magic view pod lay out I mentioned in prior post is RIGHT to LEFT looking toward water.

papabou
Adp1110

Post by Adp1110 »

Check out fishbone on fish bay. The view from the shower is unbelievable. The place has no pool or hot tub but its cute. The owners live on island and r super nice. We almost went with them but I wanted to stay in coral bay so we went with seawing. It also has an amazing outdoor shower a heated hot tub and is in your price range. The view is great here too.
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

You guys are the best.

Looks like I've got some excellent recommendations!!

Will keep you posted!!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Hi Sue!

Nice seeing you again in VG. We're actually thinking of doing a STJ + VG combo next year and staying one week at each island. Hopefully we can get together in STJ then. I have to start villa hunting too.
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

Look at lavenderhill.net. Views are awesome from the decks, pool is great, plenty of parking and it's across from Zozo's rest. How much time can you spend in a shower? Check it out, it's in your price range.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Try Angels Roost. We love the location upper Carolina. No view from shower but great shower and in your price range. Larry and Jane live above but you would never know it. Completely leave you alone unless you have questions. I love the wrap around porch. They book up fast and have lots of repeat customers.

http://www.vrbo.com/87540