Centerline Road

Travel discussion for St. John
greyhoundmom

Centerline Road

Post by greyhoundmom »

For those of us staying in Coral Bay in a few weeks, I am becoming concerned about Centerline. Since it's the only way in and out of Coral Bay, we could have a great villa with no access.....YIKES :shock:
stjchica

Re: Centerline Road

Post by stjchica »

Where on Centerline is the area of concern?
We prefer to take North Shore Rd and was thinking you can get to Coral Bay that way depending where the area of concern is located, but I could be mistaken. I was sightseeing and not driving... :D
Regardless, that really has to get fixed asap...
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

You can read the rest of the article on the Virgin Islands Daily News site:

The weekend's torrential rains battered stretches of Centerline Road on St. John that already was weakened from similar downpours two years ago, and residents fear the road will give out before the V.I. Public Works Department executes "emergency repairs" related to the 2010 damage.

Resident Denise Barbier said she fears that at least five places along a two-mile stretch of Centerline Road are so badly undermined that they might give out under the weight of a passing car.

"There is nothing underneath the road. There is no soil under the road. There is nothing to hold it up, and it is just hanging over the side," she said. "My concern is that if something drives over the undermined portion, like a Safari bus or a school bus, it might collapse."
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

My understanding is that the washout is on the section of Centerline Road that descends the mountain into Coral Bay. That is after the point where the North Shore Road comes up and joins Centerline, so either way you have to drive that stretch of road.

We'll be there in July, so I'm concerned too. I hope that people on the island will keep us informed.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

There's the Bordeaux Mtn road, though.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

The least they could do is make that section oneway - might take some pressure off the edge. Hope it doesn't take a tragedy to get it fixed.
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

Ooops! Needed to delete that ticker!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

We had the same situation exactly 5 years ago. They did make quick repairs and there were flagmen allowing alternating one way traffic through the affected area. This time looks a little worse.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

I too have been wondering about this situation! We will be there in 3 weeks and staying on that side of the Island for the first time. Got Newbies coming with us and know that this is going to scare them to death !! :shock: Have been wondering what the owners of the rental Villas will do if it gets worse...or the rental company we went through???! Don't like the idea of possibly getting stranded on that side...esp....with a rental car from STT.
If closed...do you think Villa Rental Co. will move us to another place on the Cruz Bay side ??? Watching this closely. :(

Sherry in SC
" I believe there's Magic here...."
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I don't think they would close it completely as there are full time residents in Coral Bay that would need to get to their homes, etc..
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Pia

Post by Pia »

The area is at the Upper carolina Road intersection - you will all be fine (I drive it daily) - go slow, it is marked, drive on the "other side of the road" (if heading to Cruz Bay stay left if heading to Coral Bay - obviously only while you go around it)

Worst case scenario we go down to one lane or if it washes out completely we can all use the Bordeaux Mountain Road so you wont be stranded.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Thanks for keeping us up to speed Pia! You know when you are not there this kind of news can really eat at you!
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Thanks Pia, .... I know the article in the paper made it sound pretty bad. Good to hear from someone that actually drives it each day. With them saying "a school bus might collapse it" that didn't paint a pretty picture.

Thanks again ! :)
" I believe there's Magic here...."
burgec

Post by burgec »

Bordeaux Mountain road really passable to Coral Bay? Am I missing something?
WilliM

Post by WilliM »

If the cavalry were on the way to repair it now, I think we'd manage. As it is, it can only get worse. At this point there's a lane and a half. Slowing down and being courteous will have to be the answer until repairs start. I hope there's a great engineer on the job.