WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE MONTH TO VISIT STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE MONTH TO VISIT STJ?

Post by parafins »

October is when island sickness sets in for me.My wife and I spent our honeymoon on stj.the first week of October of 1994.In 1996 we visited again in late october.The same for 2000.This year we tried June because of our children's summer school vacation.After our visit we still liked October the best.It seems less crowded and layed back.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We've been in early MAY and DECEMBER and definately prefer MAY. The Island seems less crowded in MAY and in DECEMBER the water on the North Shore seems rougher and a little murky. But what do I know, we've been once in May and now 3 times in December............. :lol:

I think I'd enjoy STJ any time of year, except August and September with the hurricanes. But I bet it's not crowded on Island right now!

Jan (aka Charlie)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Parafins, we are spending the first 10 days of October on STJ for our honeymoon. Glad to hear you enjoy that time. We are SO looking forward to it.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

We've always gone in May and love it. Off-season rates but everything is open. Weather is typically fantastic. Cisterns are full after the April rains :)

We are going in November this year as a treat to my mom for her birthday. I'll let you all know what I think. I am actually very excited to try out a different time of year!
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Since we live in the Northeast, we like to escape winter and go Jan/Feb/March timeframe.

My daughter and her boyfriend went this past June/July for a first-ever summer visit and she didn't like it as well. I suppose it's what you're used to.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Our first trip was in October and we loved it. The island was dead--many times we had the beaches to ourselves! We've since been back in June (twice) and July (once), and liked both of those times too. October was definitely the least busy though.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We love late October and November. The water is warmer. If the North swell is up the beaches on the South shore beckon. The real key is lower cost while having everything open.

Cheers, RickG
patr

Post by patr »

Any month! Image

I haven't met a day I wouldn't like to be there.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I've been to St. John in Jan, Feb, May, June, July and November. I love St. John any time of year, but I like February best because (1) its freezing here in Iowa; (2) its one of the driest and sunniest months in St. John. January has fewer crowds than February but the weather can be a little more erratic and breezier. I do like the off season rates and smaller crowds off-season, too. May is a great time to go---it just generally doesn't work well for my own schedule. High summer (July) has calm, beautiful water, but its pretty humid. Have been twice in November---once we had perfect weather, the second time (early November 2003) we had torrential downpours (20 inches or so in a week)so I've been gunshy about returning then, even though I'm sure that year was a fluke.
---Jim
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

iowaguy wrote: Have been twice in November---once we had perfect weather, the second time (early November 2003) we had torrential downpours (20 inches or so in a week)so I've been gunshy about returning then, even though I'm sure that year was a fluke.
That was WILD and a total fluke.
The tough thing about going in November is you knwo you still have the winter ahead and don't want to go home.
Hey wait! That's what happened to us in November 1995. We're still here!
-Ruth
Coden

Post by Coden »

I'm going to say December because that is when we are going!! LOL

Also, while visiting off of a cruise, we've been once in October and once in February and both were Perfect!!!
Coden
Pat

Favorite Time of Year

Post by Pat »

We've always gone around Valentine's Day, middle February. Last year we went later...early March and were not happy with the no-seeums. We also like to escape the freezing cold. Nothing more satisfying than flipping on the weather channel at the villa and seeing snow in the forecast for our hometown.
KenJ

Post by KenJ »

Mid to late April for us..When we get home from STJ, it's just starting to get nice at home (N.E. Iowa)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I'm pretty sure there is no bad time to go but, we prefer late spring. We can leave the islands knowing that decent weather back home will be just around the corner (vs. going in, say, February, when you know you have at least four more horrid months of cold in Wisconsin). It's so dang hard to leave the USVI altogether but, during that inevitable trek off the island after a couple of weeks there, knowing there is SOME hope for something green and fresh back home in the coming weeks helps.

OH, and for taking the whole family gang? Summer. This next year, we'll be coming down in July with our four kids. August two years ago was great with them was great. No, absolutely perfect.

Marcia Ann (Mrs. Pete)
RickG

Post by RickG »

iowaguy wrote:I've been to St. John in Jan, Feb, May, June, July and November. I love St. John any time of year, but I like February best because (1) its freezing here in Iowa; (2) its one of the driest and sunniest months in St. John. January has fewer crowds than February but the weather can be a little more erratic and breezier. I do like the off season rates and smaller crowds off-season, too. May is a great time to go---it just generally doesn't work well for my own schedule. High summer (July) has calm, beautiful water, but its pretty humid. Have been twice in November---once we had perfect weather, the second time (early November 2003) we had torrential downpours (20 inches or so in a week)so I've been gunshy about returning then, even though I'm sure that year was a fluke.
Ah, 2003. We were on island the week before you. The rain started the day we left. It rained hard enough that a boulder came down the hill onto our driveway. Our week the weather was perfect.

Cheers, RickG