I need professional help...

Travel discussion for St. John
obsessedmuch

I need professional help...

Post by obsessedmuch »

... and you all are professionals! :)

For all my research, I'm not really planning any of this trip. I have some tentative plans (and of course, the forum folks' meeting on the 27th) but that's it. Everytime I think to really plan, some St. John chill-o-meter in the back of my mind goes off and I just can't do it. (I have gotten some good tips from many of you, like the best days to go certain places so that I'll definitely use.)

Anyway, now that I'm just a little more than a week out, I'm freaking out a little and thinking I'm going to forget something that I need to remember. So now I'm asking myself... "okay, who do I tip for what?" and "how am I going to find my way?" etc. etc.
This little pre-trip freak out is normal, right? :)

So, to avoid further freak out, if anyone has anything that will help me, please let me know. Not so much the obvious stuff (i.e. keep left) but maybe little things, too. I'm sure I'll be fine but I'm a bit of a spaz so any information is good information at this point.

Thank you!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

The pre-trip freak is totally normal. Mine usually comes as I am leaving for the airport, which means its too late to do anything about most things anyway!

Don't forget lots of small bills (for tips etc) but otherwise there's nothing you can't live without except your id and your confirmations!
RickG

Post by RickG »

I know the feeling. As long as you bring passport, drivers license, credit card, ATM card and cash you are set.

I dealt with this on a large scale when had the Gang of 24 trip in November. I ended up pulling together all of angst-management information in on bundle as a newbie guide. Even if you are not a newbie, you may find this interesting. I actually used it myself for our last trip. http://www.garvin.us/STJ/New_Visitors_G ... Guide.html

Yes, Mary Beth, it still lists "Washer/Dryer" as something you do not need to pack. I need to freshen the newbie guide.... soon come.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Rick, I was just thinking about your website! I wanted to print off your packing list. John's so busy at work this week that he won't have time to pack for the trip, so I have to do it for him. The upside of this is that this might be the year that he doesn't come down with about 75 t-shirts! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Rick, please don't remove that item on my account! I like it there. Makes me laugh.
patr

Post by patr »

Hey obssessed,

The best thing you can do once on STJ is to RELAX!! Please get all your stress and obsessing over and done with and once you hit that island, let the peace and serenity wash over you and just go with the flow.

I have always tried to plan, and find that most the "plans" go out the window and we find ourselves doing whatever moves us and whenever. That's why we love it so much, it is absolutely the most relaxing vacation spot for us.

Please don't overstress and definitely you'll have a great trip. 8)
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Thanks, guys. I know I'm worried for no reason. Just how I am, I think. Over thinker. :)

Pat- I see what you're saying. I think that's what has made me so lax on any real planning up until this point.

Thanks again!
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Oh, and Rick, I've had that bookmarked for months. SO helpful! :)
RickG

Post by RickG »

obsessedmuch wrote:Oh, and Rick, I've had that bookmarked for months. SO helpful! :)
But, can you get your packing down to one carry-on? With those teeny sun dresses, should be easy! Chelsea Drug Store, on the second level of the Marketplace above Starfish, has all of the varieties of sunscreen and toiletres that we needed.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Pre-trip freak out is perfectly normal. Once you get there, it all just falls in place and you forget about plans. I'm more in "pre-trip overly excited" mode. Five more days at work, can I make it?

And the carry-on only is do-able - even for a woman! :lol: I am packed and ready to go and everything is in my carry-on. Even my fins.

However, when they say the items must fit "comfortably" inside a quart sized zip-loc bag, exactly what do they mean by "comfortably?" My cosmetics SEEM comfortable despite the fact that I don't think a toothpick could be slid into that bag at this point...... :D
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

The most important thing is a huge duffle bag so I can hitch a ride then I'll be your tour guide, mule, cook and drinking partner. :lol:
Tom
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

VickiH wrote: And the carry-on only is do-able - even for a woman! :lol: I am packed and ready to go and everything is in my carry-on. Even my fins.
VICKI! You are out of the club. Do not let my hubby see this post! How in the world can you get 10 pairs of flip-flops in carryon only?!?!? ;) And I am sure your cosmetics are completely comfortable.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Vicki..........I've been a carry on only girl for years, but I pack my mask and snorkel and rent fins. What exactly did you pack to be able to fit your fins in your carry on. I'm so impressed. I need a few tips from a real professional.

And as far as the zip-lock goes, mine was so tight you could not see eveything in it. I was afraid they were going to unzip it and everything was going to erupt. I packed a few extra bags in case that one broke. :lol:

Obsessed.......you are obviouly a planner, so relax, I'm sure you've got it all covered.
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

flip-flop wrote:
VICKI! You are out of the club. Do not let my hubby see this post! How in the world can you get 10 pairs of flip-flops in carryon only?!?!? ;) And I am sure your cosmetics are completely comfortable.
LOL! I'm pretty proud of myself! I didn't think I had it in me. I do have 5 pair of flip flops in there - can I be halfway back in the club? :lol: My biggest fear at this point is that the zipper on my carry-on is going to give up the ghost mid-flight causing a mini-explosion in the overhead bin, due to the sheer force with which my "way too many" clothes have been crammed in there, thereby grounding my flight..... :shock:
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

My god woman you are a pro. 5 pairs of flip-flops and fins! Ok, you can be back in the club, but I think you need to offer lessons to the ladies here.