What's your opinion?

Travel discussion for St. John
EagleRayLover

What's your opinion?

Post by EagleRayLover »

I have a person who has contacted after reading our blog and she plans
On moving down early 2014. When I asked how many times she had visited, she said never. Just curious what people think about a middle age woman moving sight unseen to either STJ or STT. She isn't sure which yet ! I have mixed opinions but really hope it works for her!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Xislandgirl

Re: What's your opinion?

Post by Xislandgirl »

Moving across the state or across the country or across the world without every having visited the place you have chosen is just not smart, in my opinion.

I am all up for adventure, I moved to STJ after visiting the island for 4 days. But at least I knew how to get there.

I helped a real estate customer's neice move down in 1998. Her uncle was a regular visitor and he and I helped her find a job before arriving and an apt. She was also 24 years old and had not a care in the world, and I helped her every step of the way. She told me often that she would have left within a month had I not walked her through everything, she said that had I not been there the day she arrived, she likely would have left the next day.

Unless you are independently wealthy, moving somewhere you have never been is not a smart decision. it has nothing to do with the islands specifically, my opinion is for any move, any where in the world.
just my .02
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Totally agree with you, X. Visiting and living in a place are very different things. NEVER having visited and considering living somewhere makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I would be interested to hear how or why this person chose this region as a landing place. Strikes me as very odd.
mountaingurl

Post by mountaingurl »

I moved to STJ sight unseen last fall. I had only ever been to one island other than on cruises. I couldn't be happier. I've found my home. More power to her....But you have to be able to do something like this with no expectations. It truly is paradise, but there are plenty of third world problems that come with living on an island in the middle of the ocean. You can't just go buy a new pair of shoes or swing by Target to pick up everything you need in one swoop. There is a saying down here that goes: "You have to be rich to vacation on St John for a week, You have to be poor to live here." I always tell tourists who are in complete envy that if you can't live in a tent for a week, island life will be a bit tough. That being said, there is another saying down here that goes, "My life is better than your vacation." <3
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

Well, I am definitely not rich and I vacation in St. John. You just have to be smart about your money. I could SO live in a tent though for more than a week and be perfectly happy with my life, (not that I'm not happy now). If you are middle age with no commitments and no reason to stay where you are then sure, why not try somewhere sight unseen. I'm sure that person has done some research though before deciding she wanted STJ. If I had no husband, children & grandchildren, bills or responsibilities I would move down there in a heartbeat. I don't think I could handle moving to STT though, I don't even like the taxi ride to Redhook, let alone having to drive just to get around there. Needless to say, I hope everything works out for her. Just sayin. :wink:
My Heart is in St. John!
54b

Post by 54b »

Interesting, how permanent or committed is her definition of "moving down to STJ?"

If she's just one of those rare birds with few ties and the means by no means to move around like a leaf in the wind, STJ may just be stop #23 on the list of places she's lived...if she were a kid right out of college, you probably wouldn't think twice about the inquiry.

My guess is her plans aren't quite as indefinite as your's and Augie's....if they are, then I agree with Xislandgirl, she probably ought to practice flushing only after going #2 a bit more before she sets the proverbial boat back to the mainland on fire.

Trailers for sale or rent...
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

BRAVO! I have done it twice, once to St Thomas and once for 2 years throughout SE Asia. Find a long term guest house to stay for a month of so while you search out the island and decide where to live. I stayed at Two Sandals By The Sea, their long tern isn't fancy but it is clean and right in Red Hook, the folks are lovely. The good thing is that if it doesn't work out, you can leave. I can say that doing this, both times, was the best thing I could have done...if you like, give her my email: equineannie@gmail.com, I would love to chat with her and assist. BTW, I did SE Asia the first time and was 53.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

This is a very interesting topic to me. I have only lived in northern Virginia (Washington, DC suburbs) my whole life, and we travel throughout the U.S., Canada and Caribbean. So I have never experienced moving to a brand new place and getting settled and carving out a new life. I am not not much of a risk taker, so I'm not sure I could ever do something like this, especially a place sight unseen. I've always enjoyed stories from our friends in the military, park service and others who have moved to different places. I know the military is a bit different because you have a job when you get there, and there is a support network of sorts being in the military community. It still meant getting resettled in a new place with new friends and the loss of familiar places and people.

I have great admiration for people who take a chance and move someplace where they think they would enjoy life, or feel led to go to live. I have some family members who moved some place they thought was their dream, only to have it not turn out well, then it cost them a lot of money to move back to their original town. I have also met people who moved to this area from all different places and it turned out great for them. I hope to meet Leslie on our trip next year and hear about her adventures. I think its great they are giving it a go.

If it were me, I would take a couple of trips first to check things out. I hope it works out for her, and she does a blog. I really enjoy reading about others who do things like this.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

EagleRayLover wrote:I have a person who has contacted after reading our blog and she plans
On moving down early 2014. When I asked how many times she had visited, she said never. Just curious what people think about a middle age woman moving sight unseen to either STJ or STT. She isn't sure which yet ! I have mixed opinions but really hope it works for her!!
I would suggest she read as much of a site like www.vimovingcenter.com as she can to get a different perspective on life in the USVI.
I have seen many people move here over the years, for many different reasons - some stay and thrive, some leave in frustration, some find it just isn't the place for them but very few stay for the rest of their lives. The ones who move here to escape problems are the least successful.
I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving island life a try but if they have never been here before, looking at the move as a short term possibility with a reasonable fall back plan and enough funds to make either option work would be my suggestion. It takes a very open mind, a very positive attitude and a deep reserve of patience to survive, and more importantly, enjoy island living.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I like that there are mixed reviews on this- it's very insightful. As a newbie to the island life after ten visits, I think you can potentially run into things that can be troublesome that no one mentions on forums or travel boards. Saying that, the only thing I would change for us - is getting my main squeeze down there or coming with me when I went. It's an adventure and so far loving it but some days are hard!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Although this woman obviously has choices, moving somewhere you've never visited is not all that bad. I moved 4 times for work to places I'd never visited (nor wanted to visit).

I hope this works out for her if this is what she wants.
janet
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I would love to hear more opinions on this as its an interesting topic to me. I was thinking about Exit Zero's statement "It takes a very open mind, a very positive attitude and a deep reserve of patience to survive, and more importantly, enjoy island living."
It seems like that can be said about many places, island or otherwise, depending upon one's likes and dislikes. We have friends who live in Alaska and absolutely love it. For me, it would take all the things EZ mentions and more to be able to live there. Same goes for the Washington, DC area. Its my wonderful "hometown" to me, but it can require the same list of things to deal with traffic, high cost of living, and the stress of this area. I know some people who moved here and moved away as soon as they could. Each location has its pros and cons. I would like to try living on an island for a few years...:)
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

I think it comes down to the person more than the location. Some people can adapt to any situation. If you are a positive, half-full person, you will be fine. If you don't get frustrated easily and tend to make the best of everything, why not make the move. It's the constant complainers that would never make it on an island. Good luck!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I would really like to know more about her situation as there are some good points that have been brought up.

Why is she moving?
How did she pick the VI?
Where is she moving from?
Will she work?

Leslie, as you know, it is harder than you think. Getting a drivers license involves fashion. Getting electricity and internet can involve the patience of a saint. Shopping for underwear involves a boat ride or an online purchase with a small chance the post office may be really slow that week and you have to pay to get your mail. (unless the post office has no one on the waiting list for a PO Box)
STJ is not the vacation destination for everyone, we all know that. It is not the place to live for everyone, either.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

She initially told me she was picking St John but as further conversation developed, I am now unsure if she is picking STT or STj. She is moving as she is tired of everything on be mainland and says she has traveled many " third world countries before" Can't remember from where. She will be working but probably not in her field of employment for the past 20 years.