Only gas station on STJ in Coral Bay !!!

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Only gas station on STJ in Coral Bay !!!

Post by Pia »

I just wrote a response under the Texaco post but just in case you are not reading that thread here is the "news" from todays paper.

Texaco in Cruz Bay did indeed close and is, at this time not reopening. The only other gas station in Cruz Bay is also set to do some repair work and is closing (as early as next week maybe) for at least 2 months, so that will leave only the Domino station in Coral Bay open for the whole island - yikes !!!

The other problem that arises from this is we are unsure exactly how big the tanks are at Coral Bay, especially if servicing the residents and tourists alike.

Just a heads up if you are visiting soon and renting a car.

Having said this, things can change quickly on STJ and who knows, maybe something will change - lets hope so.

Pia
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

I kind of have a feeling that the Government will step in and give Texaco at least until the E & C guys finsh their repairs. Hope so for STJ!

RL
RL 8)
Coden

Post by Coden »

Gosh, that could be a pickle for all concerned. In December we are staying in Coral Bay so we'll be okay but what a hassle for the residents of STJ to have to drive all of the way over to CB just to fill up their car. What a pain!!

Good luck STJ residents!!
Coden
silverheels

Gas Stations

Post by silverheels »

Can you see all the taxi drivers going over to Coral Bay for their gas? It will be a mess. I'm sure that Rocky Liburd and Andy Rutnik will have something to say about this mess. :roll:
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

What are people supposed to do with rental cars. You need to fill up before retunring them. I can't imagine they would be too pleased with anyone returning a car partially full? May need to pack that big red 5 gallon jug in your suitcase for the next few months!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Pia

Post by Pia »

I forgot to add that Domino's only takes CASH !!!!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Someone mentioned the rentals. Think of how that will work. You have to return the tank full of pay like $92020 per gallon. If you are willing to pay that, some rental car dude then has to drive to Coral Bay to fill the tank or leave the next poor unsuspecting renter enough gas to get to Starfish Market. But, the way the roads on STJ suck gas out of your car, if you are willing to drive out there and fill up, you'll suck up an appreciable amount of gas on the return trip.

They've got to do something about it. Otherwise, I'm buying a plane ticket to St Thomas, renting a fuel truck, and setting up shop next to the taxi stand. I'm taking on limited partners if anyone is interested.

In fact, crazy as this sounds...imagine this: I'd wager you could get hired by someone to drive out to Coral Bay and do gas runs. Plenty of people would not be in the mood to make the trip and would probably pay you $10-$20 to do it for them.

Gotta go. I have a plane to catch!
Diane

Post by Diane »

We considered ourselves lucky when we returned our rental jeep with a less-than-full tank. We filled up in Coral Bay the night before, but had to return the jeep early in the morning before the Texaco was open. The rental agent looked at the gas gauge and said, "How about $5.00?". We gave him $10 and recommend L&L Jeep Rental every chance we get.
Genral

Post by Genral »

We normally stay in the Coral Bay area, and always fill up at Domino's before leaving. We use St John Car rental and they told us that filling up in Coral Bay is just fine. You only use about a half gallon going from Coral to Cruz Bay. So I guess it's not a big deal as long as you're already IN Coral Bay. Would definitly be a huge pain to go back and forth just for gas.
No matter where you go, there you are.
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

Assuming they don't run out of gas, I don't think filling up in Coral Bay the night before would make much of a difference. Every time we've been on STJ for a week, we only fill up once. The night before or the day of departure. And that's driving the island every day for a week.

SarahD
mia

Post by mia »

When we arrived on Sept.1st the Texaco was closed and then mysteriously reopened. My husband filled up our rental car yesterday, Sept. 16th, at Texaco before returning it to Courtesy....mia :roll: