Another option for closed STJ beaches

Travel discussion for St. John
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Another option for closed STJ beaches

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I haven't seen anyone suggest this so I thought I'd mention it.

There are numerous beautiful beaches on STT and all are open. The logistics are a little inconvenient unless you rented your car in STT but still very do-able.

http://www.vinow.com/stthomas/beaches_stt/

Just throwing it out there...
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
mbw1024

Re: Another option for closed STJ beaches

Post by mbw1024 »

We talked about this but so far have not made a move. If this goes on next week may rethink that.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

I highly suggest a beach trip to STT. Just take the people ferry over. You can catch a cab to Sapphire Beach and enjoy a day there. The snorkeling is good and you can either bring your own cooler with food/drinks or buy from them on the beach. You could also take a cab a little further down the road and go to Smith Bay Park (Lindquist Beach). It doesn't get super busy and is a gorgeous place to relax. No food or drink options, so bring your own. Youu can also go to Magen's Bay. It's a longer cab ride, but the beach is wonderful. Yes, it gets busy with cruise shippers, but we always make a long day of it and the cruisers leave in the early afternoon. When you get back to Red Hook you can shop in the area and eat at any of the great little places right there, too. We love Island Time Pub upstairs at the American Yacht Harbor. They have great pizza and it is a really nice atmosphere to just sit and look out over the boats at the docks. We stayed on STT several times before we started staying on STJ. It has some great options for you.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

If you decide to head over to STT, I would also recommend Secret Harbour beach. It's a short cab ride from Red Hook (maybe 5-7 minutes). The beach is sandy with lots of shade and the water is calm. There's decent snorkeling, and there is a beach bar/restaurant on site. There's also a dive shop where you can rent gear and buy water etc. I am pretty sure the loungers and hammocks are only for people staying at the resort, but I think you are allowed to bring your own chairs (I'd double check on that)

I hope this nonsense is over soon!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Thanks, Liamsaunt. Right after I posted I realized I should have also suggested Secret Harbour. It's where we stayed on our very first trip in 2007. A nice little beach. Good snorkeling without having to go real far. Great beach bar and restaurant.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I fell in love with the USVI on Magen's Bay in 1976. Of course, it was a lot less crowded back then. If not a huge cruise ship day, definitely worth a visit.
janet