battery hill comments anyone

Travel discussion for St. John
papabou

battery hill comments anyone

Post by papabou »

for those following my post re papabou's and mack's dec rd trip, you know we have now booked sand dollar at battery hill. on another current string about battery hill, tm has posted some good info for travels to and from town. many thanks, good info.

i'd appreicate some further feed back about battery hill stays. could be helpful to those already commited and those contemplating. we are looking fwd to being within walking distance into cruz bay. we'll have a jeep and as most of you know i'm a regular visitor and fairly regular poster here so know a good bit about stj and share when i think helpful. will also ask when i believe there is good info available. so looking for bh specific info.

we've always stayed in villas and accustomed to plenty of room always seemed to have trouble finding parking in cruz bay or paid slimman. i know the bh units are fairly small, but is there enough room inside units for 2 guys to not feel crowded? the thoughts of sharing a bathroom with mack (&viceversa) is a little unpleasant but we knew that going in. what about noise from town in evenings? pool water temp? we were in villa on mamey peak in july with pool water so cold we used as cooler.

any other thoughts about the joys of battery hill stays? always appreciate honest feed back even when it may not be what i wanted to hear. the use of this board has certainly helped me in trip planning and getting max mileage out of our stays on island.
unlike the obamacare web site, i don't believe checking in and posting will crash viol site. but then what do i know about ACA, hell wife and i have been on medicare for yrs and it works for us. i believe all users can benefit from posting both inquiries and replies about things stj! we will not all agree about the best (or even acceptable) of anything. but if someone who has been there and has info based on personal experience could add joy or help avoid unpleasantries during others and my visits, please share and i will do likewise. i'm a little wordy today, may have missed a med.

thank you anthony for making our site possible.
papabou
mindehankins

Re: battery hill comments anyone

Post by mindehankins »

:D I love your chatty posts, Papabou! It's like you're sitting across the table!
If you don't hear from Eagleraylover and Augie, you should PM them, cause I'm pretty sure they've stayed there before. Last trip, we stayed within walking distance of Cruz Bay and LOVED it! I bet you will, too!
hairman

Post by hairman »

We stayed @ Sand Dollar for a week in November 2012....I wish it was for 2+weeks!! The unit was VERY clean. Lots of room for the two of us.
It has two bedrooms full kitchen large balcony with great view.
Nice pool area with tables and chairs to view Cruz Bay .
We did not have transportation. The walk down the hill is easy...back up
a bit of a challange for a 63 yr. old not in shape ( I know round is a shape BUT..)
Sand Dollar ( Battery Hill ) has parking...not an issue. Noise from town is NOT
an issue....I don't remember hearing the music from waterfront.
I will be staying @ Grande Bay from 11/22-11-29-13. I have been going to the rock since 1980. Took a 6 year break when my siginificant other of 20 years passed away....too many great memories...I'm better now and am looking forward to my second visit since she passed on.
I am from Michigan and it's going down to the 30's tonight.
I hope you enjoy your stay...WE DID!!
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

Papabou,

Sent you a PM.

TM
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

We stayed at BH in August. I found the pool to be very comfortable and the seating areas around it were nice. If we sat outside at night, we could hear the music coming up from the beach bar. It was nice. Once we went inside the unit though it was very quiet. The walk into town - if you go left out of the parking lot there is a steep walk down that brings you right to the area by Woody's. I would not walk back that way though. If you walk back up the road by Gallows it is a much easier return.

The only I issue I had was with the laundry facilities. If you plan on doing laundry there, bring lots of quarters and know that it is shared with the other units.

Have a great trip!
papabou

Post by papabou »

hairman, thanks for reassurance and info. thought battery hill would be good for this trip. glad to hear we won't have lodging from hell but then if price is right that could work too. hope you have a great trip next month. i looked at grande bay but couldn't find anything to fit our budget without someone sleeping on a sofa. no way at our age.
mindy, don't encourage me. my printer may be out of ink, but i don't have to print stuff i post. didn't want to bother leslie since augie only been home for a week. i'm still thinking about group trip. still interested?

michigan girlS - you a twin or something? at least sister? i'd read your trip report posts and review. good stuff. thanks for reminding me since would not have known if i was not such an avid fan of all things viol. mack and i can usually hold washing down to one load once during trip. we know it's time once someone starts sniffing when we are in close quarters which we will bring.
toon, got and responded to pm. thanks for filling in all blanks.

in summary the devoted members of viol with impecable credentials have confirmed 2 poor georgia white boys can have fun on a budget on battery hill on the lovely island of st john. bows every one!
papabou
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

"i'm still thinking about group trip. still interested?"

maybe..... 8)
I'll pm you!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

papabou wrote: michigan girlS - you a twin or something? at least sister?
The "S" on my name is for myself and my travel buddy. It was our intention to share one log in, but she is not as obsessed as me so I do most of the posting :-)
papabou

Post by papabou »

mgirlS,

if this is true:
"The "S" on my name is for myself and my travel buddy. It was our intention to share one log in, but she is not as obsessed as me so I do most of the posting."

how do i know that is was you rather than travel buddy who posted? i'm easily confused.
papabou
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

papabou wrote:mgirlS,

if this is true:
"The "S" on my name is for myself and my travel buddy. It was our intention to share one log in, but she is not as obsessed as me so I do most of the posting."

how do i know that is was you rather than travel buddy who posted? i'm easily confused.
papabou
She couldn't remember the password when she finally did post something, so she made a log-in called Michgan Girls 2 - so now it's always me :-)
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

We stayed in BH the first week of Oct 2013. The walk into town is very easy. The walk back wasn't bad at all for me but I can see being a little tough for some, but it its doable for everyone I think. You can hear the Beach Bar music from pool area which we liked to eat dinner out there and listen to the music. So that wasn't a problem for us. Depending on how strong the breeze, the pool was very comfortable. We did have one night it was breezy and it was on the cooler side. The day time, the pool is perfect temp. Someone mentioned that the laundry facility was a quarter machine, they must of put new machines in or they just recently put plugs in the slots, because it was free for us. Decent newer machines that worked well. There was plenty of room for 2 people to not feel crowded. Hope this helps. Have a safe trip.