St John Car Rentals?

Travel discussion for St. John
icedog

St John Car Rentals?

Post by icedog »

Any suggestions for the most reliable and reasonable car rental (for a week) in St John during May. Leaning towards St. John Car Rental. Suggestions? What about O'Connor Jeep Rental? Thanks!
AquaGirl

Re: St John Car Rentals?

Post by AquaGirl »

We've used Bougainvillea Jeep Rentals 4 times and highly recommend them. We've had great Jeeps and great service, including accommodation of a very late arrival on Sunday night. They have parking close to town at their office in the Amore Center. www.stjohnjeeps.com
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

We have used St. John Car Rental for years and really like them.
---Jim
byado18

Post by byado18 »

We stay at thaw Westin and always rent from O'Connor!
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

We have used Paris Car Rental for the last several years.
http://rentalcarstjohn.com/
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

iowaguy wrote:We have used St. John Car Rental for years and really like them.
+1

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

gmanka

Post by gmanka »

We have been coming to the island for about 30 years so have had a chance to rent from most of the regulars. Having said that we now rent on St Thomas. Allows us to do a grocery, beer, wine etc stop at Cost You Less on STT, catch the car ferry which runs more frequently and cost less if you have a couple of people and luggage. And costs about $100 less per week. Now I know if the car breaks it is a hassle but the vehicles seem in much better shape and knock on wood no problems so far. Have to be sure to catch the ferry early as they stop running early evening but if the flights work out, no cab fare across the island and a very good option. Just Sayin.....
icedog

Post by icedog »

Thanks for the suggestions.
CHM

Post by CHM »

We used St. John car rental the first year and they were great. Every other year we have used Conrad Sutton. Conrad can be a little (ok a lot) grumpy, but the rates are very reasonable.
RickG

Post by RickG »

gmanka wrote:We have been coming to the island for about 30 years so have had a chance to rent from most of the regulars. Having said that we now rent on St Thomas. Allows us to do a grocery, beer, wine etc stop at Cost You Less on STT, catch the car ferry which runs more frequently and cost less if you have a couple of people and luggage. And costs about $100 less per week. Now I know if the car breaks it is a hassle but the vehicles seem in much better shape and knock on wood no problems so far. Have to be sure to catch the ferry early as they stop running early evening but if the flights work out, no cab fare across the island and a very good option. Just Sayin.....
Ja, STT is the way to go... on your second trip. Amalie car rental - (340) 774-0688. You'll add another 6 hours to your vacation, coming and going.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

For the first time we are thinking about renting our car on St Thomas.
I looked at Amalie and they were 525 for the week and Conrad is 420.
Do you have to call to get a better price or are there other car rental
that are cheaper? At least I thought they were cheaper on St Thomas.
Beach Creecher
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

we just got back from STJ and rented for the fourth time from St John Car Rental. Had a nice Jeep, everything went very smoothly and the best part was we had a parking spot when we drove into town!
gmanka

Post by gmanka »

Check with the majors, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty. Found an SUV for less than $60 per day. Could not match that on STJ.
bigred

Post by bigred »

We have a villa at the Westin so we use O'Connor - quick walk down the hill, friendly, reliable vehicles- never had a problem and we don't like to drive into Cruz Bay at night (want to be able to drink but don't want to drive after) so having a place to park in CB isn't an issue for us.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I love Conrad Sutton. I guess I've always been lucky to miss out on the grumpy side people talk about. He makes me laugh, and we always have a good time.

The cars are in great shape, the location is easy to get to/from.

They are not picky about the sand in the car thing - like I've heard about several of the others. We've returned jeeps with small scratches from brush, etc and never had it charged to us.

After what happened to Silverheels with Paris Car Rental I have sworn to never use them - it was shameful.

I know it makes sense to rent on STT, but honestly, the cab ride to red hook, and sitting in the bar there waiting for the next ferry is enjoyable to me. It's all part of the experience. I don't think I'd feel the same way about driving from there.