Lurker with a question about Waterlemon Cay ;)

Travel discussion for St. John
mykidsmom

Lurker with a question about Waterlemon Cay ;)

Post by mykidsmom »

Yes, I've been a lurker on this board for quite a while trying to absorb as much as your expertise as possible as we plan for our upcoming trip to STJ in early June. It will be just my husband and myself - yeah! We are 40-50ish and enjoy snorkeling, beaches, and happy hour ;)

We plan to rent a dinghy for at least 1 day and will probably do the one withOUT the center console so that we can beach it where allowed.

Thus my question about Waterlemon Cay. Since we can't beach there and also since - so I've read - there is great snorkeling from shore TO the Cay, would it be better to visit Waterlemon by car/hike to the beach then snorkel out or better to visit via dinghy?

My initial thought would be to use the dinghy to reach the beaches that are harder to get to via car due to parking/hiking issues.

I would rate ourselves as highly functioning intermediate snorkelers ... we want to have fun, enjoy the underwater life ... but we don't want death defying experiences :shock:

Cheers!
Last edited by mykidsmom on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed S

Re: Lurker with a question about Waterlemon Cay ;)

Post by Ed S »

We have done both and overall enjoyed both.

Several times we have hiked over from the parking lot, and swam out and around Waterlemon Cay. The snorkeling was amazing..... and this is the only place we have ever seen sea stars. Our last time (early Dec. 2012) the current was very strong and we almost turned around, but did manage to make it around (counter clockwise). In the future, I would probably not dare it again and wait for a calmer day. 2 years ago (early Dec. 2011), we did rent a dinghy from Noah's Little Arks and headed straight from Cruz Bay to Waterlemon Cay. There are actually specific dinghy mooring balls in between the Cay and the bay, which made it easy to moor, and then a very short swim to and around the Cay. Although we had a great time, and also got to leisurely head back, including mooring in Francis Bay, and beaching the dinghy at Salomon Bay Beach, we wouldn't do it again anytime soon. Although it was a 14' dinghy, it was not a center console, and using a hand tiller to go all the way from Cruz Bay to Waterlemon was a killer (thought my arm was going to fall off by the time I got there). And, even with trying to step on the ledge on the motor, it isn't easy to get back into a dinghy that is moored. Would consider a center console next time.

Separately, you mentioned Henley Cay...... I have only been there on excursion (Cloud 9) - I'm not sure you would be allowed to take the dinghy out to Henley Cay (maybe someone else knows for sure, or ask whoever you would be renting from.... they all have different rules as to how far you can take the dinghy).

Have a blast whichever you do...... returning in 15 weeks to celebrate our 30th anniversary (counting the days as it was below zero early this morning where I live in NW NJ and preparing for another 8"-12" tomorrow night/Thursday).
Image[/url]
mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom »

Ed, congratulations on your 30th! We will be there in 16 weeks celebrating our 20th :) Sounds like we will might be passing by each other en route.

Although it seems routine to take the dinghy to Waterlemon, I think we might just hit the places where we can beach it because I'm not sure I want the hassle of getting in and out of the boat in the middle of the water.

Plus, like you mention, it is a long haul to Waterlemon ...

I just wondered if there were specific pros/cons of visiting the cay one way over the other. If not, we might save Waterlemon for a visit via car/hike.
augie

Post by augie »

As you said, Waterlemon is a haul from Cruz Bay (I believe it's as far as the dinghy companies allow you to go) and there's really no excellent snorkeling at Waterlemon/Leinster that can't be done from shore.

I'd go with your plan to only dinghy to the bays where you can beach the boat.
Come see us!
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Congratulations on your 20th! Boy it sure goes by quickly (seems like yesterday that we celebrated our 20th at the Ritz Carlton on St Thomas, and our honeymoon at Secret Harbor in 1984). We will be there from May 31st through June 8th, so maybe we will pass you by coming or going.

If you rent from Noah's Little Arks, they will show you an instructional video as well as let you know which beaches you can beach vs. moor (there are restrictions on where you can beach). Also, although our dinghy was somewhat older and tired when we rented back in late 2011, I believe Kim (the owner) has gotten some new dinghys - when we were back on St John 9 weeks ago, it looked like there were some newer grey dinghys that replaced the older yellow one's.

Either way, definitly get to Waterlemon Cay and Leinster Bay for great snorkeling.
Image[/url]
mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom »

We actually will be there the same time as you! We arrive on the 30th though and leave the 8th ;) Thanks for the tips!
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

My personal thought about where I would take a dinghy is this, don't rush your day by trying to make Waterlemon. Hit the beaches that you want to see most, the ones, like you say, that are more difficult to reach by land. Waterlemon is a nice hike from the parking lot. It is flat and easily traveled.

We watched a young couple try to bring their tillered dinghy into a beach below Peace Hill. If they werent having such a difficult time it would have been comical. Ok, it was comical. He did not power towards the beach and was not able to raise the engine before she jumped out onto the sand and started pulling the boat onto the beach. Or at least as far as she could pull with the lower unit stuck in the sand. He was still trying to raise the engine. They struggled against each other and the surf for quite some time. My wife and I walked past as they discovered what was going on. She wanted to pull the dinghy all the way onto the dry sand, He wanted to tie it up. I reminded them that they also had to launch the dinghy when they wanted to leave. She rolled her eyes, He had a look of fatigue. It appeared that it had been a long day already and they had not even made it past Trunk Bay yet. It looked like they were not enjoying their dinghy ride at all.
Take your time and enjoy your time out on the water. If you make it to Waterlemon then you do. If not there are so many beautiful places to enjoy on the way.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

toes in the sand wrote:My personal thought about where I would take a dinghy is this, don't rush your day by trying to make Waterlemon. Hit the beaches that you want to see most, the ones, like you say, that are more difficult to reach by land. Waterlemon is a nice hike from the parking lot. It is flat and easily traveled.
It's a great walk skip the dinghy
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Toes, great tips and feedback for sure. I had forgotten to mention in my earlier reply that when we beached at Salomon Bay, I had beached it too far onto the beach. It was secure for sure and not going anywhere, including when we were ready to leave. It was clearly too difficult for my wife and I to get this 14' dinghy turned around and back in the water and needed help from another guy. I'm sure it looked comical to watch! (although I don't think it was us you were referrering to, we were there back in early Dec. 2011.... at least I was smart enough to "trim up the prop" before getting up too far).
Image[/url]
54b

Post by 54b »

Just curious...why are the dinghies rented out of Cruz Bay only allowed to head along the North Shore as far as Waterlemon?

I'd be a lot more interested if they allowed you to take the dinghy around the western and southern shores to the bays and beachheads that are much harder to access by land because of private property.

Can you imagine having the option to take a dinghy to go snorkel Tektite?
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
augie

Post by augie »

54b wrote:Just curious...why are the dinghies rented out of Cruz Bay only allowed to head along the North Shore as far as Waterlemon?

I'd be a lot more interested if they allowed you to take the dinghy around the western and southern shores to the bays and beachheads that are much harder to access by land because of private property.

Can you imagine having the option to take a dinghy to go snorkel Tektite?
My guess (and it's nothing more than that) is that the south shore is less protected with no STT/BVIs between STJ and the open sea,
Come see us!
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

seeeing st. john from a boat is great but not neccisary to enjoy beautiful snorkling.
If it's windy on the north shore..explore the south shore..There's great places everywhere. watch out for the sea unrchins on the rocky bottoms and don't step on the coral..but you knew that already!! Enjoy!!!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Walked the Waterlemon/ Leinster Bay trail for the the snorkel, and a picnic-lunch...
The mama goats were pissed that I was trying to get there.
It was a great snorkel,- gorgeous, actually. Challenging.
Did a day sail and dinghy trip there, too.
Strong current, from time to time. Enough to remark about for my skinny ass,-
Keep your snorkel partner close, as usual, and you'll be fine!
Smiles-
MJ