California Girls Trip Report - Part 3 - The Villa w/ Pics

Travel discussion for St. John
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

CG - not snobby at all. Even if you are paying a little less for a villa you still want decent furniture, a microwave and no fleas!

I agree for the extra 5% (it is 5 not 20) I have never felt like I got anything extra. We've rented w/ DSJ and not paid the extra fee and gotten superior service in my opinion - from figuring out which villa would be best for our family (which CV is indifferent to in my opinion) to actual on island maintenance.

Also, I think DSJ houses are on the whole a little less worn than CV. Some people don't care and would say you pay for the ambiance of the DSJ houses. Which is true. I just prefer a cleaner newer feeling house that is well maintained.
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Wow, fleas in the bed!!! We did not experienced that at the Bayview the two times we stayed there.

We hope the mosquitoes are gone when we arrive since the best part of enjoying the Bayview is being able to sit out on the various decks and patios and enjoying the views.
Bob & Anita
Bob & Anita

Re: California Girls Trip Report - Part 3 - The Villa w/ Pic

Post by Bob & Anita »

California Girl wrote: I probably wouldn't use CV again or stay at Bayview again.
We probably wouldn't rent the Bayview if we didn't rent it directly from the owner, which saves us around 25% over renting from CV&R. At a 25% savings it is really hard to beat for us.
Bob & Anita
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Mango wrote:Great report CG. But just to clarify, CV's service charge is 5%, not 20%. :shock: I don't feel the service charge is fair either & I've used CV 3 times.
Good catch Mango! My bad! You are absolutely right! I was writing that at about 10 p.m. last night and I was too lazy to get up and look at my contract. 20% WOULD be rather steep!
California Girl

Bob & Anita wrote:Wow, fleas in the bed!!! We did not experienced that at the Bayview the two times we stayed there.

We hope the mosquitoes are gone when we arrive since the best part of enjoying the Bayview is being able to sit out on the various decks and patios and enjoying the views.
I'm still not positive Rick & I had fleas in our bed, since I didn't see any, but Sharon had the lower bedroom and definitely saw some.

I did feel a little "cheated" by not being able to sit outside, but that was no one's fault except the rain that hatched the skeeters! :) I seriously doubt there will be any mosquitos there when you go. They were lessening by the time we left. It was just "one of those things" that you have no control over.

Getting a 25% discount would certainly make me re-think renting Bayview again. Whatta' deal!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Great pictures!

The couch on the deck is ... interesting. Do you think that odd wooden frame has a purpose? I'm wondering if it's there to keep things like scorpions from climbing up onto the couch?

Thanks for the report!
California Girl

CariBert wrote:Fleas, eh? Well I guess that eliminates going to bed comando......
Fleas or not, commando won out with no A/C :D
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Margo, I'll be Gene Kelly, you be Judy Garland. Ready? Okay, sing along with me:

"Be a snob, be a snob,
All the world loves a snob,
If you start to itching and there's fleas in your bed,
Your villa rep is ditching you, you wish she was dead,
Next time just quit your bitching, try DSJ instead,
Be a snob, be a snob, be a snob!"

Robin

p.s. I know you weren't bitching, but it made a great rhyme...
California Girl

Very creative, Robin! You make me laugh! :lol:
RickG

Post by RickG »

Thanks for the report! Good details and interesting interaction with the rental company.

I always just add the CV 5% to the villa price and make a cost evalation from there.

Not to be a CV apologist, I've seen CV drop villas that fell below their quality bar and bring them back once the owners "freshened" them. I would definately complain to CV about the property. One of the benefits, and challenges, of CV is the breadth of their rental catalog. We'll be back with CV in March 2008 in order to rent one of their offerings, Bay House in Coral Bay. Frankly, I looked for another way to rent the property to try and avoid the markup.

Cheers, Rick
Last edited by RickG on Tue May 22, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
patr

Post by patr »

Geez Margo, fleas? I would think that would be a deal-breaker, I probably would have demanded to move to another villa. (we've done that before)

I have to say the we have used DSJ several times, some good and some not so good experiences. It really depends on which agent picks you up whether you get a good intro or a rushed one.

One of their agents asked, "have you been to STJ before?" and once they heard "yes" then replied, "you know the drill then" and they were off. On a later trip, different agent, even tho' she knew we were not first timers, took a lot time explaining the home and going over alot of details and did not seem hurried. I suppose it's the luck of the draw.

We have never had any contact with any agency past our check-in that was not intiated by us. However, one time an owner did telephone to ask how our stay was going, and if we needed anything.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Bill in Va

there ain't no fleas on me!

Post by Bill in Va »

Geez fleas. Please say it ain't so. Sorry for the bugs and all. Thanks for letting us know the deal, good bad or buggy we appreciate the low down. Good pic's. I love the people pic's as much as the beach views...hope to meet some time. We hit Cal once or twice a year. Got as far as Santa Barbara back in April trip to celebrate the 2nd b'day of the golden child who lives near Santa Cruz...God bless...Bill
cat

Post by cat »

Great report i can't wait to read the next one! I've been out of town all week!
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

I enjoyed your report and all the pics. That contraption on the patio is so Beverly Hillbillies! Sorry about all the mosquitos and fleas...that is a bummer.