First time visitors

Travel discussion for St. John
TomtheCat

First time visitors

Post by TomtheCat »

I am a new member to this forum, having been a lurker for a few weeks. I could use some quick advice from you seasoned St. John veterans. My wife and I will be leaving very soon for 10 days on the island, staying in a villa overlooking Chocolate Hole. The questions:
Best grocery store seems to be the Starfish - yes?
Where are the gas stations and do they have limited hours?
I assume bottled drinking water is necessary?
We arrive on Sunday. Where is the best place for a casual dinner (pizza and the like) and drinks after a long travel day that is also a good introduction to the island understanding we won't know our way around yet?
My wife wants to know if women get dressed up for dinner, at least at the fancier restaurants?
When we do an island vacation we go to simply relax. We go to the beach, hang out at the villa pool and eat out and try to not to do more than that. What beaches should we not miss given we don't snorkel etc.?
For the past 15 years we have been regular visitors to St. Bart's. This time we wanted to try a place we have not been, hence St. John. St. Bart's has its own unique qualities and chracteristics. Other than driving on the left, what are the St. John things, local customs, watch-outs etc. that we need to pay attention to that you don't learn until you've been there a few times?
I greatly appreciate any and all advice.
AquaGirl

Re: First time visitors

Post by AquaGirl »

Welcome to the forum! Its a great place to learn about StJ and get great pointers.

Starfish is a great grocery store and probably has the most selection. We like their prepared foods from the deli and hot food section, as well. Sometimes its nice to just pick up some meals and chill at the villa in the evening. We also go to Dolphin Market if we are close to it and need some things. We go to Pine Peace for jugs of water (cheaper than Starfish) and tropical juices.

We drink bottled water unless we are staying at a villa that has a filtering system. We buy some gallon jugs, and a few smaller size bottles for carrying on walks, then refill them at the water plant in town.

We were looking for a restaurant to go to on Sunday and found that some are closed. I'm guessing that most (maybe all) of the ones right at Wharfside Village are open (High Tide, Beach Bar, Spyglass, others I don't recall the names). It would be easy to get to these since they are right on the waterfront near the ferry dock, so you will see them when you arrive. The menu at Banana Deck looks good too. Its just a little ways down (walking distance) from Wharfside Village.

There are just a few restaurants that you need to dress up for and the rest are casual or very casual. If your wife doesn't want to bring dressier clothes, there are lots of restaurants where you don't need them. Even the dressier restaurants (e.g. Zozos) aren't dressy like a NYC or Wash DC type of restaurant.

So many beaches are so beautiful and a nice place to spend the day, so its hard to say what's not to miss. Maho Bay is one of our favs - very scenic and gently sloping sea floor, so its nice for hanging out in the water. We didn't discover Cinnamon Bay until our 4th trip and its a stunning beach. We like Trunk Bay, but it can be crowded. Be sure to check the cruise ship schedule (on this forum) and don't go to Trunk on days when ships are in port at STT.

There is a very short, easy walk up to the top of Peace Hill with gorgeous views. This is well worth doing.

If you don't have a StJ map, be sure to pick one up in town. We always enjoy going for a ride to East End, as its very scenic.

Keep in mind that most beaches have no facilities or food/drink, so you will need to pack a lunch and drinks if you want to spend the day on the beach. (We like to spend the day on the beach and not have to drive somewhere for lunch. Most villas have coolers for this purpose. Trunk Bay and Cinnamon have food and drink service.

Be sure to visit St John Spice in Cruz Bay - great store with fun stuff. The Cruz Bay Grill Rub is an excellent (and prize winning) spice mixture. For jewelry, we like Freebird, right below St John Spice. We enjoy walking through Mongoose Junction shopping area because it has pretty architecture and is constructed of blocks with stone, coral and shells embedded in it.

Not sure about gas station hours - a local person will probably chime in.

Have a great trip!
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

Here's a tip. Always greet a St Johnian with a "good morning" or "good afternoon" and a smile before you start a conversation. If you just start in with a question you might be considered rude. :D

Re-gear yourself for Island Time. St Johnians don't rush things. They might even close up a store in the middle of the day for an hour just because. Just go with the flow. It's all good on St John.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
augie

Post by augie »

There are now two gas stations on the island, and both of them are on your way "to town" - just past the St. John Market (the closest grocery store to you, and owned by the same folks as Dolphin Market) is the new Racetrack gas station, and about a half mile or so further down the road the venerable E&C Gas Station. They both open relatively early and last night Racetrack was open past 9:00PM when I drove my son to a friend's house.

In addition to some of the others mentioned, Cafe Roma may be a good first night dinner option, or even a place to pick up a pizza to enjoy at your villa.

Have a great stay - if you see a guy walking a white Labrador and a spotted pit bull mix, stop and say "hi"!
Come see us!
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

In addition to what the others have said:
1. Please warn your wife NOT to bring heels. They will be a waste of baggage, as even walking around town with them can be a challenge. Low comfortable shoes or sandals are the way to go here.
2. If you get to St. John before sunset go to the Beach Bar or one of the other restaurants in Wharfside Village. Watching the sunset from there is a tradition - almost.
3. You said you were only interested in the beaches but try to make time to see the Ananberg Ruins. An old sugar mill & plantation that was partially restored. There is a self guided tour around the ruins which sit on a hill top with amazing views of the BVI's. It is also a short walk from there to Leinster Bay Beach.

Have fun!
longingstjohn

Post by longingstjohn »

Welcome to the the forum!
the best advise i ever received about the island is....
bring twice the money and half the clothing.

have fun!

brian.
bigred

Post by bigred »

We found two books to be quite helpful on our first trips to STJ - and they can both be purchased at St John Spice - another reason to check it out!
St. John - Feet, Fins, & Four-Wheel Drive (has great written directions and descriptions)
St. John Off the Beaten Path (has great photos and descriptions).
I think you can also find them at the bookstore across from Starfish Market.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Welcome to the forum! Hope you have an amazing time on STJ. Joe's Rum Hut is another place in Wharfside Village to grab an inexpensive bite to eat with a gorgeous view. The St John Market is the closest market as Augie said and I believe it had the best prices that we had found on rum 2 yrs ago. Have a blast
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Welcome to the Forum, TomtheCat. By the time you get back from this trip, you will be hopelessly addicted. Believe me when I say, you can check out but you can never leave.

10 days is about the right length of time for a STJ trip. There are several good grocery stores on the Cruz Bay side of the island. Starfish is perhaps the biggest and most well known store. St John Market, near the Westin, Pine Peace and Dolphin are also good. You will find that one is better for meats and others are better for produce. It’s been a year since we’ve been there, and things change from time to time.

You have the most current info on gas. Just remember that there are no gas stations on the island other than the two on the west end. Be careful that you don’t get to Coral Bay or the East End without sufficient gas to get back.

Many villas have filtered water that is safe to drink. As your owner/rental agency if you are renting such a villa.

Sunday is typically the afternoon/evening that the Beach Bar has live music. The Forum has had a tradition of meeting at the BB for an informal get together. Make a separate post to see who wants to meet on either of your Sundays. The several restaurants in Wharfside including the BB, High Tide and spyglass are all good choices. As you walk from the ferry toward the street, you will see Wharfside to your right alongside the beach. If you walk to the far end of Wharfside and cross the street, you will see Banana Deck in front of you. That’s the easy answer to your supper question. There are more than a dozen other good choices within walking distance of the ferry.

Both you and your wife should leave your fancy dresses home unless that is something important to you. :D Even the best restaurants are OK with a collared polo shirt, nice shorts and shoes. By the way, swim suits without a cover-up are not acceptable in town at any time. Watergirl warned your wife to not bring high heels. That goes for you too! :lol:

You’ve been advised about the “good morning/afternoon/evening/day” greeting. I’ve seen visitors forget to do that and locals simply walked away.

There are many guides to beaches. From there you can find the characteristics of each one and see which ones suit you. I can’t select your favorite beach for you any more than I could select your favorite wine or order your meal at a restaurant. The beach I think is the best in the world may be completely unsuitable to you. (Those who are reading this who know me are shouting at their computers, “Noooo! Don’t let him select the beaches for you! :shock: )

The most important piece of advice is this. As soon as you get seated on the flight to STT and fasten your seat belt, shift gears and get on island time. If your bags don’t come out first, if you don’t get the first taxi to Red Hook, if you miss the next ferry and have to wait, don’t worry about it. You’re on vacation.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

As Augie said we love cafe Roma's pizza but when we were visitors our first stop would be high tide for drinks, dinner and sunset! If you see me walking a guy with two dogs - please stop and say hi!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

What all the others said and.....Absolutely keep an open mind when on island! :D Maybe even rent masks snorkels and fins one day... Live Dangerously! :twisted: Try it! You may like it! The world under the water is amazing!!!! :D :D :D I never snorkeled before my first trip to STJ. After that trip I got certified to dive! I loved it so much! If you do try snorkeling... do Maho on the left side first. It is beautiful and really easy. :wink: I echo EagleRayLover about High Tide.
Also we will be there in 3 weeks. You see the picture of us on our Avatar... we look like that. You can't miss Capn. Dan.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

EagleRayLover wrote: If you see me walking a guy with two dogs - please stop and say hi!!
:lol: :lol:
TomtheCat

Post by TomtheCat »

Thanks to all for your guidance. Just a couple more questions:
1) where /what is the best way to print boarding passes for the return trip? The villa does not have a printer. Do we have to wait till we get back to STT?
2) Coming from the USVI we don't have to go thru customs and immigration right?
3) Another attire question (sorry) - At the nicer restaurants I get that guys don't need long pants. My wife has another question though. Keeping in mind our point of reference is St. Barts, she assumes the general attire for women is more conservative, yes?
Thanks again
lprof

Post by lprof »

TomtheCat wrote:Thanks to all for your guidance. Just a couple more questions:
1) where /what is the best way to print boarding passes for the return trip? The villa does not have a printer. Do we have to wait till we get back to STT?

You can print your boarding passes at Connections http://www.connectionsstjohn.com/services.htm which is located in the same block as the park in Cruz Bay (with your back to dock, facing the park, they are on the Right corner behind the park).

2) Coming from the USVI we don't have to go thru customs and immigration right?
Coming into the USVI from the US you do not have to go thru customs... being processed thru customs & immigration at the airport upon USVI departure is necessary, but not upon landing in the states. If you plan to visit the BVI you need a passport.

3) Another attire question (sorry) - At the nicer restaurants I get that guys don't need long pants. My wife has another question though. Keeping in mind our point of reference is St. Barts, she assumes the general attire for women is more conservative, yes?
My opinion, based on the local culture, would be that ladies' bathing suits should be covered any time in public except on the beach, pool, or in the water and men should wear shirts... certainly on the streets and in the businesses of Cruz Bay. There are no designated nude or topless beaches on St John.

Thanks again
... no longer a stranger to paradise
CHM

Post by CHM »

My husband usually wears khaki shorts, Polo golf shirt and flip flops on the plane. That serves as his "nicer" clothes. I usually take one pair of khaki shorts and a nice top and one casual sundress. Both worn with flip flops. Your villa should have laundry facilities. I wear a T-shirt and shorts over my swim suit. Most restaurants are very casual. In addition to the restaurants previously listed, we love Woody's, Banana deck, lime Inn and we can't wait to try the new Cruz Bay Landing. Skinny Legs and Shipwreck are great on the Coral Bay side. Maho, Jumbie, Francis and Cinnamon are our favorite beaches but they are all unique and beautiful. If you can, have a boat day on the water. We will be there in two and a half weeks! Can't wait!