back by popular demand

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Re: back by popular demand

Post by PA Girl »

Connie wrote:Papa...I hope everything goes well.

I am a smoker and I hate it. After reading your story, and your wife's, I will definitely think about both of you when I feel like having one. Some people say nicotine is harder to quit than heroin.

Best to you!
I don't want to dismiss the struggles heroin addicts face but I have heard the same as Connie. I know several friends of Bill W/recovering drug and alcohol addicts who say the same thing, the nicotine addiction is far harder to break than anything they previously used.

It took me years to quit smoking and another 2-3 to break the nicotine gum habit that replaced smoking. Actually, the gum is a far better nicotine delivery system. I don't know that I will ever lose the desire for that nicotine buzz. I found a couple of pieces of nicotine gum in an old suitcase a couple of months ago and I thought about using them. I didn't but the urge was so strong, even after all these years.

Papabou - I hope your wife and family have brighter days ahead.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Thinking of you, Papabou! We found out in September that my mom has uterine cancer. After surgery in September, and more weeks of recovery than we thought, she is more than 50% of the way finished with her radiation treatments. Hang in there!
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Best wishes for you and your wife. Stay strong - she will need your strength.

Prayers coming your way!
[/url]
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Papa, hope things are coming along. Want to use you post to tell Connie that you can do it.. You can quit. I used Chantix and it took me 5 months, still smoking a pack a day until the end. At that time they only allowed you 90 day supply and wouldn't renew. I went from 4 packs to one and didn't want to go back up when I ran out of pills so I just put them down and never to this day had a craving. That was 7 years ago. Good luck!
papabou

Post by papabou »

thanks again for all the support. ann's a tuff little winker and though monday will be the biggest bump in the road she has traveled for 71 yrs, she will come though with flying colors.

a word to those who are struggling to break the smoking habit. ann's medical oncologist prescibed bupropion (wellbutrin) 75mg oral, once a day for her. we believe it really helped her. took about 2 weeks to really suppress the urge then the 6 weeks recovering from lung surgery. she's still on and says she deosn't even thing about smoking but then she has a lot more important things on her mind.

i'm not suggesting anyone go through what she has, but may want to consider consult with your dr about whether bupropin might help. dr also prescribed a low dosage of sanax to help ann take the edge off till the bupropin fully kicked in. she cheated a little the 1st 2 weeks, but she said even before she went in for lung surgery the urge was gone.

good luck to the smokers and godspeed in kicking the habit.

papabou
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Sending you both prayers and encouragement, May your love and humor help to get you through these rough days ahead.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Prayers going out for both of you. Ifyour rant and this thread helps even one smoker..God Bless!