More American Airlines Scheduling Weirdness

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

More American Airlines Scheduling Weirdness

Post by RickG »

We called American to fix our flight schedules that they had messed up during a scheduling change. After some work I go the reservations agent to do what I wanted for free.

After calling American to fix our departure times I found something even odder. The departure and arrival times on our reservation do not match the times on the flights when you do a search & quote! It looks like American Airlines does not understand the difference between Eastern Standard Time and Atlantic Time. When the US East is on daylight savings time, as is currently the case, the US Virgin Islands do not participate. By our November trip daylight savings time will have passed and the East coast be on the same clock as the Virgins

So, I expect American to do another schedule change when daylight savings time ends on October 29.

Cheers, RickG
fran

Post by fran »

Um - oh my.. Some members of our party are leaving on Oct 29th - on AA. This could get interesting...
fins-up fran
bert

Post by bert »

The east coast and the VI are on the same time now. AST = EDT. When the east coast goes in to standard time, it will "fall behind" the VI by one hour. So by the time of your trip in November, when it is 4:00 PM in NYC, it will be 5:00 PM in the VI.

peace.... bert
RickG

Post by RickG »

Cool. Reading the different references it was hard to figure how this worked out.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Don't remind me...just checked ours...our 9:30A flight from Boston to STT was changed to a 7A departure...swell and we have to drive 4 hours plus to get to the airport and our return has been changed...was 230P Stt to Bos, it's now 1210P...Yuck...sure makes us glad we planned in advance...LOL. I'm sure it'll change a few more times in the future! :roll:
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Out of frustration, I gave up trying to book my tickets myself online and called my travel agent. She booked my tickets for the flight I had found on the AA website. When AA changed my outbound schedule a week or so ago and bumped my flight up by 2 hours, I phoned my travel agent and she called and dealt with AA on my behalf. Not only did she get my outbound flight changed to one that was closer to my original flight time, but there were no extra charges incurred. Travel agents don't charge the customer anything... at least they didn't used to, and even if some of them are now charging a nominal fee, it's SO WORTH IT to have someone who knows the ropes going to bat for you!
Mark

Post by Mark »

I seem to be the only one that had changes which worked out for me. My connecting flight from Boston was to leave San Juan at 3:30 P.M. was changed to a 12:00 P.M. departure which puts us on Island 3 1/2 hours earlier. Also our return flight home was changed from a 3 P.M. departure to 5 P.M. and still makes the original connection in Miami.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Berlingirl wrote:Don't remind me...just checked ours...our 9:30A flight from Boston to STT was changed to a 7A departure...swell and we have to drive 4 hours plus to get to the airport and our return has been changed...was 230P Stt to Bos, it's now 1210P...Yuck...sure makes us glad we planned in advance...LOL. I'm sure it'll change a few more times in the future! :roll:
New England is tough. My sister and her family are staying in Boston the night before with a 7AM departure. She is pretty worried about odd weekend road closures in Boston and getting two young boys at the airport by 5:30AM.

We are still wrestling with American trying to get everyone on island by 4PM. But, I expect the next schedule change to throw us back out of whack.

Cheers, RickG
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

I just checked our flight on AA (direct from Boston in April) and the time changed from 9:20 to 7:00 am! The flight back changed, also, leaving a few hours earlier.
Paula

KenJ

Post by KenJ »

American Airlines just changd our return time, for late April, We were going to leave STT at 8:30 am, now it's 7:55 am. Hope I can catch the early ferry, then make it to the airport in time.New Homeland Security rules wants people at the airport 3 HOURSearly now...Ain't gonna happen..But on the good side ,we get into STT on our way down 1/2 earlier now, thats good....
RickG

Post by RickG »

7:55AM out of STT sounds painful - as in spend the night on St. Thomas painful. American changed our flights for free when I called after they changed our flight times. You might want to take a look at that if you really want to spend your last night on St. John.

Cheers, RickG