I didn't know they did that!

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

I didn't know they did that!

Post by Coconuts »

If there was a pop quiz that included "reptile", "underwater", and "Maho Bay", we would all immediately respond with: "turtle!". While that would be the right answer, we learned on Friday that it isn't the only one. After a few days of villa improvement projects, we took that day off, and spent it paddle boarding, snorkeling, and eating West Indian takeout at Maho Bay Beach. At one point, as I was standing chest deep in the water, I was startled to watch an iguana strut down from the bush to the beach, duck under the small waves, and swim for an extended period out from the beach, along the bottom! Infrequently, he or she would surface, gulp some air, and then head down again, much as a turtle would. It got at least 50' out from shore at one point. The iguana was negatively buoyant, and seemed to swim as much by using its paws against the sand as it did the water; its long tail also assisted in propulsion. I have no idea what it was after beyond a refreshing dip in the sea, as it didn't seem to pursue prey (you can see silversides above it in the photo below). After it headed back towards the beach, and was tossed back and forth by the small waves, it headed once more out to sea, before finally swimming ashore to bask contentedly in the sun.
On the bottom
On the bottom
Up for air
Up for air
On the shore
On the shore
I have heard of deer swimming from island to island, but being accustomed to watch iguanas climb our flamboyant to catch some rays, and then barely move all afternoon, I was really surprised to see one actively "taking a sea bath", as they say. To be fair, we used to catch them on the deck by the pool before Coconuts became popular with renters, and wondered if they went for a dip when no one was around.

I also wonder if, from time to time, the iguanas vaguely resent we recent mammalian usurpers, and reminisce about the golden age when they and their kind held dominion over the earth.

PS: Having returned to New England a day before the "Blizzard of 15" that now engulfs us, it feels like "Opposites Day", compared to St. John.

All the best,

Kevin
snorkeler525

Re: I didn't know they did that!

Post by snorkeler525 »

What a great story and photos! Thanks for sharing. And, welcome home to Juno!

Sharon
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

On two different occasions, I saw iguanas enter the water at Francis for a swim. When we stayed at the Wyndam Rio Grande in PR last year, two HUGE iguanas swim in the pool frequently. It sort of freaked me out. While I knew they wouldn't attack me, I still didn't want to be in the water with them.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We found a rather large Iguana on one of Low Key's dive boats some years ago. After freaking out the female dive master, he was removed from the boat and placed safely on the shore. He immediately headed back toward the waters of Cruz Bay and swam out among the boats. He found a boat he liked and climbed up its line. That's the last time we saw him.
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have never seen them swimming in the ocean, but many years ago we rented a house on Maria Bluff that had a resident iguana that would go in the pool from time to time. It would even climb onto a pool raft and go for a float if we forgot to take them out after swimming. It would come around even if we were in the pool. I am guessing other renters must have fed it.

Very cool pictures!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

I never knew that ...... Cool pictures , now I'll be looking for turtles & swimming iguanas at Maho !!!!
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

It is true! You learn something new EVERYDAY! Thanks for sharing.
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

Hah that is funny - I didn't know that either, although in December when we stayed at Coconuts we came home to some large poo on the deck by the pool and we decided that the iguanas had been partying while we were out. Now it seems that it is possible that they were!