we made it

Travel discussion for St. John
papabou

we made it

Post by papabou »

beautiful monday on island.

our group (wife & i plus a daughter and 2 teenage gdaughters that belong to other daughter) arrived sat afternoon and picked up immaculate 4 dr jeep from amalie. renting from amy is a breeze, competitive rates and free second driver. missed 3:30 barge by a couple of minutes but had time for couple of cold ones and left on 3pm barge. the gds were all wide eyed as they had little memory of their 1st trip to stj with us some 11 yrs ago.

met greeter at grande bay for quick checkin and unwinding. daughter and i went to starfish to stock up on lunch stuff, snacks and adult beverages while recovering wife herded the cats nee granddaughters. shocked as usual at prices since both bought lot of expensive snacks and other bulky stuff. shocked again at checkout when got a $25 coupon for next trip to starfish because our total w/o alcohol purchased across way was about $115. we will use coupon later this week on resupply. don’t know how long $25 cash back will be available but suggest those on island and arriving soon inquire.

i’ve been a critic of grande bay for yrs. it’s ugly and out of proportion for cruz bay. but then lavender hill is no beauty. we’re in a nice 3 bdrm unit on 1st floor of front building with great views of cb harbor. rented on vrbo and got a good rate. we have preferred villas with higher elevations on past trips but the convenience of walking into town for dinner and shopping is a big plus and necessity for wife ann.

lot of firsts even for trip 18? met mindehankins after yrs of common posts, pms and emails. we had 3 snorkels adventures on sunday. great gal and you have to admire her spirit of adventure. blaine you got a keeper. we met at cinnamon bay where i deposited daughter and 2 gds who were not up to snorkeling yet. had thought they would have benefit of renting kayaks and hobi-cats but place was closed down. ann refused to leave grande bay after so many times of riding in death seat on prior trips. also said she’d already done too many risky things at emory hospitals last 12 months, so didn’t want to push her luck.

minde and i headed out to annaberg with intentions of snorkels off path near 1st blue bouy and then walking around to circumnavigate the cay. 1st stop was super snorkel with great coral gardens and lots of fish. a smaller eagle ray came slowly by and we followed several minutes and minde got some great pics/video. we both really enjoyed and i’ll do again if i get back to island though entry not easy though there were a couple of small sandy bottom areas.

it was raining when we got out and decided against walking around to do waterlemon so headed back to parking lot. by the time we reached the pavement, sun was out, we looked at flats of bay leading into mary creek and decided was worth a try. we were able to get in just to the right of the big bush by the big rocks that block jeep traffic on the waterlemon trail. not too difficult. glad we did as was great shallow snorkel, super clarity with full sun and saw some good stuff including 3 young sharks. after that, back to cinnamon to join my girls and third snorkel. we went around the cay but cheated a little by going through crevices on each end. i had done back side before but was 1st for minde. not a lot of vegetation or fish though minde did spot a small octopus on way out.

DINING WITH TWO FIRSTS SO FAR: dinner sat night at cbay landing, only place not louder than a rock concert in an enclosed stadium. service was good and food acceptable and decent ambiance. last night minde came to condo to meet ann. we walked next door to dine at banana deck. good service, great mahi specials for several and burger for a gdaughter. minde had a quesadilla with side of rice she really likes (not her 1st time there). pleasant experience and will go back. both restaurants took in stride ann’s bringing her own dinner in a bottle - vanilla boost plus which she washed down with a glass of wine both nites. wine was of course purchased on premises. she’s on her way back folks.

plans today are to get snorkel gear for the 3 girls then meet minde at maho. figured be good place for the girls to refresh their skills though older gdaughter snorkeled some fairly rough seas with me at cancun a couple of years ago and has recently earned her padi open water certification. got to get her comfortable today so i’ll have a snorkel buddy the next two days since today is minde’s last on island.

want to say how great it was meeting minde and if any of you out there have the opportunity, make the connection. she’s great company and snorkel buddy.

more another day.

papabou
ski2play

Re: we made it

Post by ski2play »

Fun stuff! Sounds fabulous thus far!
kklay

Post by kklay »

Sounds like a great start to a wonderful trip. Will be on island in 37 days and looking forward to trying the rib eye at Banana Deck. Looking forward to reading more of your reports. :D
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Love this! Minde has been great with advice for my trip.
papabou

Post by papabou »

thought i’d add to original string instead of starting a new topic. i have already done a nice long report of today’s activity but lost when tried to post. has happened before and i need to remember to create in doc file then copy over. anyway this will be briefer. it’s almost 9pm and i’m an old man.

beautiful day, gds and daughter rented snorkel gear at lowkey next door at 15% discount due to online registration. we met minde at maho at 10:30 and snorkeled some with girls before minde and i headed off to little maho. ran into a brown broad headed shark on way into little maho. about 7 ft long and biggest i’ve seen in stj waters though know there are many larger. he swam under us again as we headed out. had about 2 hrs of heavy rain and minde split to get to stt for night before early tuesday am flt home. thanks minde for being snorkel buddy extraordinaire. trust you have a safe trip home and hope to see you again on stj in future.

after rain my girls wanted to snorkel again as they were pumped from seeing a few rays and turtles during morning snorkel and hearing about the large shark. so we headed out. they lead the way to point into little maho and on to beach there. reversed trip out and we ran into the shark minde and i had seen. after some reassurance the shark would only eat the slowest swimmer, all were confident they were safe. a few more turtle signings and i believe i’ve got 3 qualified snorkel buddies. unfortunately i will need to pay their way in any future snorkel adventures.

when we got back to cruz bay ann told us there had not been a drop of rain all day. so it’s true. it can be pouring on the west end and dry as a bone some place else on island.

had good meals, service and views at joe’s rum hut. an old standby but i missed mack, jess who’s on marriage leave and happy hour.

papabou
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Blaine thinks I'm a bit crazy for accepting the invitation to stay with a friend I'd only spent a couple of days with, and for being so excited to finally meet Papabou, his lovely Ann, and the girls. So call me crazy! It was a fabulous trip with so many firsts for me as well, and I expect to write up some kind of report.
I was so glad for the company, Papabou, at the beaches and snorkeling. We had fun, didn't we? Although that last shark will make me chuckle when I recall it, for a long time! I had my camera right in my hand, but only saw him heading for me when I was about 5 feet away. I could only think "stay cool. stay cool!" I'm so glad your girls were able to find him as well, and that they're enjoying the snorkeling! You're a great teacher and explorer!
Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip, and expect an email shortly!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am glad to hear your trip is going so well.

Concerning Grande Bay – through the years most people probably didn’t like other development that occurred in Cruz Bay but it is there, it’s not going away and if it provides the type of facilities that someone and/or their family needs, then some good has come from it. Not everyone can or wants to deal with the challenges most villas can present for someone with a health issue or disability.

That’s my long way of saying I hope no one is giving you a hard time about your choice of accommodations 

My father had esophagus cancer (treatments worked) and I remember how hard it was for him to eat afterward. He never did get used to Boast and/or Ensure and made his own, very interesting drinks out of raw eggs and goodness knows what else.

Good to hear that restaurants were accommodating to liquid diets, as they should be when the rest of the party is eating and drinking. A wine chaser? I like how your wife rolls 
loria

Post by loria »

So sorry we didn't cross paths!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
papabou

Post by papabou »

tuesday was a grand day on stj. ann stayed at grande bay again when the girls and i headed out about 10. went east via centerline rd so i could show girls new views and some villas we’ve stayed in on prior trips on bordeaux and mamey peak. showed them the famous columbo smoothie stand that mack and i broke of serving free rum with your smoothie in summer of 13 while staying on mamey peak. minde had alerted us columbo’s would be closed but i still shed a tear as we turned left onto north shore road.

straight down to francis bay. we were about 4th jeep there and set up at second picnic table to right. after their success snorkeling at maho yesterday the girls took off before i could get my gear on. i am use to having plenty of prep time since normal snorkel buddy mack dresses out in black and blue rask guard suit and yellow life jacket. once all in water we headed right and approached shore about midway out to mary point. slowly cruised out almost all way to point and decided to turn since we’d be fighting currents coming back in. with in 100 yds after turn back toward beach i spotted what i believe was the same shark i saw three times yesterday along rocks between maho and little m. he was deeper but 15yo was concerned that he may follow us back in. i assured her i’d bring up rear and warn them if it approached again. summary: that’s a great snorkel if you are strong enough to fight currents back. you should not underestimate. we saw lots of good coral and fish of various sizes, a chained moray eel, the shark and numerous turtles and stingrays in grass and sand areas.

left and went into coral bay and skinny legs for late lunch. the gds though it was a funky place, took in shops and bought a few items. we had acceptable burgers and mahi sandwiches. juli couldn’t figure out how they got food service license. finished lunch and headed back to north shore to do what was supposed to be last snorkel of day at hawksnest.

i picked hawksnest since couple of decent reefs heading out from beach, convenient parking and changing facilities. we started straight out from beach to right of right reef with plans to go out along reefs edge, turn left and come in along east edge and out the right side of left leaf. i had cautioned the girls this would not compare with mary point but was good easy snorkel. appeared to be an abundance of fish over the reef that we observed going out. rounded the end of reef and headed back toward beach along opposite side of reef. about 100 feet in i noticed a large grey/black shark cruising in on bottom to our right. this one was larger than the francis/maho one. my shark alert and spotting by younger gd caused further anxiety and her desire not to be the last in line. she then suggested we go back for a brief last snorkel at maho in hopes to see some more turtles.

so left hawksnest and drove back to maho for last snorkel. i prayed they would see the turtles they so enjoyed watching and filming with their gopro. prayers were answered and all happy as can be. ann was still at pool reading when we got back and didn’t seem the least bit put out we were gone so long. the girls then entertained her with stories, pics and videos. all’s good in paradise.

lori sorry you couldn’t join us sunday evening but thanks for sharing minde. minde, hope you are finally home safe and sound.

papabou
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

:D :D :D :D
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I agree with Juli!!! I don't get the appeal of that place!
Annnnnd.....HOW many sharks are you up to, so far this week, you shark magnet?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JenG

Post by JenG »

Hi Papabou - I'm loving your reports! I'm so glad that you are back on St John with your family and I'm especially glad to read that Ann was able to return! I hope that just being on island is recharging her soul.

My only shark sighting was at Honeymoon last May which prompted me to turn tail and swim like crazy away from it while others in my party headed toward it. Fight or flight response in live time and I learned that I am a flight risk. :lol:

I'm not surprised that you and Minde had a great time together. You both obviously love St John and snorkeling. I hope you have many more adventures in the future!
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Love your report! I have never seen a shark (except a nurse shark) while snorkeling on St. John and I'm afraid I would be petrified! I know they are there, but I really don't want to see them. I think I'd be afraid to get back in the water! :shock: