50th group vacation...

Travel discussion for St. John
PaminMaine

50th group vacation...

Post by PaminMaine »

Hello friends,

I am a part of a group celebrating 40th and 50th birthdays next November. Unfortunately, they are looking for something other than St John ! :( I figured I would ask the experts since you guys are so intelligent. The requirements are swim up bar, with lots of activities in the area, and somewhat of a night life. They are researching Puerto Rico, Key West and St Thomas. ( if it wins I will def sneak on the ferry for a day!).

Was just wondering if any of you have experience or suggestions you might be willing to share. Thanks in advance.
equineannie

Re: 50th group vacation...

Post by equineannie »

Key West has no real beaches and is overloaded with cheap tourist directed shops. Good restaurants but not much else. I lived there and really disliked just about every minute. If you choose Puerto Rico, try to get to the west side of the island. It is quieter and is really beautiful. MY favorite parts of Puerto Rico are Culebra and Vieques. Both have stunning beaches and are low key and just plain nice.

All the best!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

The Marriott on St. Thomas has a swim up bar. There is also an excellent restaurant on site (Havana Blue). The beach is pretty but can get crowded when ships are in. There are many activities such as parasailing, kayaking/night kayaking, jet skis etc. I can't really speak to the nightlife but I remember there was a nightclub of some type.

John and I stayed there for four nights last winter when we got stranded on island at the end of a STJ trip due to unrelenting snowstorms in Boston. Everything on St. John was sold out or we would not have chosen to stay on STT, but we ended up being pleasantly surprised.

Vieques is lovely, but maybe quieter than what your friends are looking for. John and I stayed at the W Vieques once and while it certainly has a clubby vibe and a great pool (and a nude beach ha!), the resort basically closes down at 10 PM.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We visited all the islands on our boat between West Puerto Rico and Anegada in October/November. The swim up bar is a limiting factor, but Scrub Island has one and Cooper Island has a cocktail table in the water - neither have night life. Of all of those, I still think St. John has the most convenience, beaches and atmosphere. Virgin Gorda is probably #2, but no night life. I'd put Culebra #3.

We had a lot of fun on Puerto Rico. Luquillo has a nice beach and the kiosks there are very cool. Fajardo gives you access to the Culebra ferry. The Walmart, Costco, Ralphs Warehouse & Grocery and West Marine (for us boaters) are convenient. Its certainly cheaper than the VIs and the service workers are happier acting and friendly. El Conquistador resort has a swim up bar.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
loria

Post by loria »

does it have to be the US? have you considered Isla Mujeres? or Costa Rica?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
fromaway74

Post by fromaway74 »

We just returned from a family reunion at the Hyatt Regency in Aruba. It has all the things your group requires. All the restaurants and the hotel had no problem accommodating our group which ranged from 14-20 people in size. It is a polar opposite experience from St John but that's what also made it work for a larger group.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Rich and I attended a wedding at the Hard Rock Heaven Hotel, ( adults only) in Riveria Maya in November. It is an all inclusive resort, and everything was top shelf. In addition to having all meals and drinks included, you get a certain number of credits each day to use for boat trips, zip- lines, spa services or romantic dinners. The rooms were great, the pools were wonderful with live and recorded music 24x7. The food was as good or better than any upscale cruise ship we have been on. The grounds were beautiful.
We do a lot of traveling, and if you are not going to St John, you would be hard pressed to find a better value for group travel. Easy to get to, also, Free transfers from the Cancun Airport if you are staying a week.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

The decision has been made to go to Puerto Rico. We plan to arrive Thursday Nov 10th or Friday the 11th. Most of the group can only do a long weekend, and will fly out on Tuesday. My best friend and I have decided to stay the rest of the week and plan to fly to an island on Tuesday for a few days. I need to decide between Vieques and Culebra.
liamsaunt wrote: Vieques is lovely, but maybe quieter than what your friends are looking for. John and I stayed at the W Vieques once and while it certainly has a clubby vibe and a great pool (and a nude beach ha!), the resort basically closes down at 10 PM.
Would anyone else like to chime in to help make my selection? :D

Oh, I almost forgot... we'd like beach front ! LOL