PSA

Travel discussion for St. John
Jerseyboy

PSA

Post by Jerseyboy »

This morning I am still bothered by the fact that one of our well-liked forum members had an unfortunate incident while he/she was away on vacation. I don't know the details or if it was the result of someone lurking here and knowing when this person was going away or not. It's just a reminder to be careful about posting personal information here or anywhere on the Web. It'd be like publishing your upcoming wedding date in the local paper. Some thoughts:

- Don't publicize when you're going on vacation (e.g. the Travel calendar or in a post)
- Don't post your email address, especially if it contains your name. People can PM you for your email address.
- Don't post your town/city

Looking at a few forum member profiles, I easily found some home addresses via the Web (e.g. Sundance Drive, Woodland Hills Drive, Plainfield Ave.).

Please be careful everyone because you don't know who's reading this forum. I welcome any other suggestions or observations.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Are you saying that our houses might get robbed or something while we are away? Is there something else we should be concerned about? I will never not go on vacation out of fear, but I will protect myself if I know what to beware of!
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

Ksea wrote:Are you saying that our houses might get robbed or something while we are away? Is there something else we should be concerned about? I will never not go on vacation out of fear, but I will protect myself if I know what to beware of!
All I'm saying is to be careful of what you post here or on the Web.
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

You are right, however, someone lurking is probably more likely to steal identity (birthdays have been posted + name + just do search and you can gather lots of stuff) rather than physically come and rob your house. How do they know if you have relatives who stayed at home, big mean dogs, alarm systems? It would be a bigger risk than someone who lives in that area and can case the house or the person. I'm just saying most crimes committed are committed by people that the person knows.
Of course that doesn't mean don't be careful on here.

And- I'm sorry Jorge that you came home to that- robbery and employee BS.
:x
Last edited by mrsb on Thu May 31, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
When will I see St John again?
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Care to explain what happened? I am unaware of the incident of which you speak.

Thanks,

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

CariBert

Post by CariBert »

O.K., never mind, I just read the "Where is Jogrge" thread.....don't know how I missed it first time around.....'nuf said.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

RickG

Post by RickG »

Coincidence or cause & effect?

Something to consider, just because a forumite gets robbed while on vacation does not mean that it was because they released their schedule on the forum. There are many more people off-line that will have the information, geographic location and inclination to burglerize your house.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

RickG wrote:Coincidence or cause & effect?

Something to consider, just because a forumite gets robbed while on vacation does not mean that it was because they released their schedule on the forum. There are many more people off-line that will have the information, geographic location and inclination to burglerize your house.

Cheers, RickG
True and I don't disagree, but it just serves as a reminder to be careful of what you post anywhere online.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I agree with the need to be careful online. This is such a fun, friendly bunch that it's easy to forget that anybody could be reading what we post.

My parents house was robbed while they were in Italy last fall. (Double whammy - they came home early because my mom broke her leg the day after they got there!) I asked the police if they thought maybe someone had seen me put their luggage in my car to take them to the airport. The officer said that what typically happens is a person rings the doorbell and has a story prepared (e.g. collecting for a charity). If there's no answer, they go around the back and break in.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, and luckily the incidence of break-in is the exception rather than the rule. But taking precautions, like having neighbors watch the house, etc., can't hurt.
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

Thanks Jerseyboy. I removed the town from my profile. Although, when we go out of town it is posted in two different hospitals in two different towns. So if we were to be burglarized, it would be more likely from someone in our area. But you never know. Again, thanks!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Thanks for the "head's up" Jerseyboy! I took your post very personally - and you know why. Profile revised!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

California Girl -- not only did you change your profile, you changed your avatar picture! Are you in disguise?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ha! Nope, not in disguise. I change it from time to time, and as long as I was changing other things...

This was my first ever avatar on the new forum. I think Nemo's such a cutie! And I know another forumite out there who will welcome seeing him again :D

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:52 am.