Suzuki Jimny

Travel discussion for St. John
Patty

Suzuki Jimny

Post by Patty »

I saw on the St. John Car Rental site that they are now renting the Suzuki Jimny. I wondered if anyone has rented the Suzuki and whether there is much space for luggage or chairs, etc. when packing for the beach. We have usually rented a jeep but were considering the suzuki since it was cheaper.
BAILEYBAY

Re: Suzuki Jimny

Post by BAILEYBAY »

We use to rent the Suzuki Sidekick....smaller than a jeep but plenty big enough for just 2 people. I assume the Jimny is comparable in size. Easier to drive and park and had plenty of space in the back for all your beach stuff. And it's cheaper to rent. Bonus!!!!
kklay

Post by kklay »

Is it just two of you? If so, it appears you should be fine. If 3-4 will be using the jeep it doesn't look like there is any room behind the 2nd row seats.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Owned a Suzuki when I lived on island, it is great, good for 2 people and easier to squeeze into parking spaces!
RickG

Post by RickG »

We rented a Jimny on Virgin Gorda. It was fine, but very lightweight and got blown around a bit. It could hold the two of us plus my 16 year old daughter. The two dogs at Guavaberry Spring Bay fit in as well, and insisted on accompanying us whenever we let them.

I'd say two people with luggage are the limit. I would hesitate to take the Lameshure Bay road if it was very rutted. You can shift to 4WD-High while moving, but you need to come to a stop to shift to 4WD-Low, like most 4WDs. If the roads were wet, I would consider heading up the Trunk and Cinnamon switchbacks in 4WD-Low - this is a VERY light vehicle.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jmq

Post by jmq »

Indeed that vehicle is quite common on VG. I think you have to feed the iguanas under the hood that power it to make it over Gorda peak.

We yielded to this momma cow and calf when she gave us a dirty look as I think think the Jimney might have lost that battle.

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide