trip insurance...to buy or not to buy?

Travel discussion for St. John
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

We never buy it and in the long run we believe that we save money by “self-insuring”. We suppose that maybe sometime in the future we might use it if we bought it, but all the money we have saved by not buying over the years will more then pay for any money we would lose if we had to cancel or reschedule a trip.

The insurance companies make a good profit on selling it. We suspect that the villa rental agencies also get a cut as well. Thus, logic would dictate that most people do not make out with the insurance then those do.

With that being said, it always come down to one’s personal situation and if you can self-insure yourself or not.
Bob & Anita
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Agree with Bob and Anita we bought it once for a cruise then never again. It really is a personal choice if you worry abot cancelling and sleep better at night knowing it will be covered buy it.
mia

Post by mia »

We have been going to the Caribbean during the first two weeks of September for the past five years...this will be our second September on St. John and we've been there at various other times through the years. We have never bought trip insurance, but with all the talk of hurricanes....I'm wondering if this year might be a good time to start, especially given the time of year....prime hurricane season.
What do y'all think? :? ....mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

One major reason I bought the insurance is because I was planning my trip a year out, and who knows what can happen in a year's time. But if I was doing a "spur of the moment, buy my tickets today, leave next week" kind of trip, I probably wouldn't get it. I just think it's a small investment (about $200) to save a larger investment (about $5000). But then again, I'm the type that falls flat on my a$$ in the STT airport, and sits down on the beach and a truck comes and dumps rocks next to me. I need trip insurance just to go to work!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:45 am.