Discount Car Rental

Travel discussion for St. John
FlaGeorge

Discount Car Rental

Post by FlaGeorge »

Has anyone used Discount Car Rental on STT to rent a 4-wheel drive vehicle and take it over to STJ. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
David- n Hampton, VA

Two recommendations.....

Post by David- n Hampton, VA »

I used Conrad Sutton rental company for a Jeep Liberty (75 dollars a day). It was not the cleanest vehicle and it had scratches on every bumper (which I had to argue with the office lady to write down so I would have a record that I didn't put them there.) In fact, they were unfriendly in every exchange and here is what happened when I experienced a flat. He (Conrad) first told me to fix it myself (despite my having told him there was a lock on the spare I didn't have a key for and that I had cuts and stitches in my hand from and accident a couple days ago), then told me he didn't know where "Great Cruz Bay Road" was (the main road over on Chocolate Hole ridgeline and the first right turn after the Westin, right across from the dumpsters)...then told me I had to walk back to the vehicle with the key to meet him (instead of offering to come get me and driving me back) (and this is after my wife and I had just walked back up the hill in the hottest part of the day), and then he demanded that I pay for a NEW TIRE as I had signed a contract that included the provision that I was responsible for every kind of "damage" done to the vehicle. I explained I didn't cause it to go flat, to which he asked me "Well, was I (Conrad) driving it then? No, you were, so you owe me a new tire!"

I called Viva Vacations and asked them for the name of a different rental car company which they recommended. When I explained why, the nice lady (Sheryl, I think) asked me if I wanted her manager to contact Conrad Sutton to try to work it out….I said sure.

After a few minutes they called me back and told that the lady at Conrad's was very rude to them and stated that I was responsible for all the damage to the vehicle. She then recommended L&L rentals and provided a phone number.

As soon as the spare tire was on I drove the jeep to fill up the gas and returned it to Conrad Sutton's. There, the lady behind the counter informed me that she would not take it back (I had to wait for Conrad to show-up). There I informed him I would certainly do two things....first, inform American Express that I protest the charge of the new tire on my bill (and I seriously hope they refuse to pay him) and second that I would inform everyone on this forum that they should not use him ever again. He replied "Yes, you and everyone else stands there across the counter and says the same thing and I am still in business!!!" Good grief, how any others have had the same sort of experience?

As I stated before, while I was driving over to return the vehicle, I spoke with Viva Vacations....(they had originally tried to get me to use L & L but I told them I had used Conrad Sutton twice before with no problem so I would stick with him....what a mistake that was). Anyway, they gave me the number of L&L. The young men from there not only arranged for a newer Jeep Liberty but they meet me at the dock with immediately after I returned the first one to Conrad's, then even meet me at the dock to pick it up when I was done for the trip!

So, the two recommendations: (and this despite the fact I will probably make some people on this forum say I shouldn't pick on a poor island merchant who is probably just being misrepresented.....)

1. Use L&L. You'll doubtlessly be happy with their service.
2. Do not (on any visit) use Conrad Sutton. You may have no problems but you may have big ones....either way they are rude, insulting and unhelpful. That includes Conrad himself, and the lady in the office.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Wowie zowie! I've reserved my car for next May thru Conrad Sutton. I spoke with Conrad on the phone when I rented it and he seemed very nice, however maybe I should re-think this a little. I was having second thoughts anyway and was reconsidering booking a rental car through the service that Caribbean Villas offered when they sent me my villa contract. I guess I'll look at my Conrad contract this evening and see if there's any cancellation fees if I cancel now and rebook with someone else. If I decide to cancel, I'll say it's because you told your story on the forum and then maybe they'll sit up and take notice of how powerful one dissatisfied customer can be.

The very last thing I want on my vacation is a hassle like you experienced!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Thanks for posting this David. We have used Conrad in the past on four or so different occasions with no problems. However, as you said, we did not have any problems with the vehicles. This will definitely make me reconsider using him on our trip in June. We haven't booked with anyone yet. So sorry to hear about your experience with them, but I can't wait to read your trip report!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Poor is probably not a good word to use for Conrad Sutton, unless you're referring to customer service.

Unfortunately, I think you have had a problem with what happens when you do business, and this probably goes for most rental companies on island, with someone who has more than enough business. And figures so what if you tell a bunch of folks. I'll still do more business than I can handle.

And if what you wrote is true, it definitely has nothing to do with island time.

Wish I could run my business that way.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

For those looking for another Jeep rental company – may I suggest Courtesy Car & Jeep Rental. When we honeymoon on STT and took a day-trip to STJ – we used Courtesy and they were great. I called them the day before we were going to STJ and they said we didn’t need to reserve a Jeep, but would make sure they had one for us. We took the ferry over to STJ, walked up the street – and within a few minutes - we were on out way to the North Shore.

Here’s the good part – when we went to return the Jeep, I dropped my wife off at the ferry dock and I took the Jeep back – the woman asked me if we were trying to catch the 5:00pm ferry – I said, “YEP”. She rushed the paperwork and even had someone drive me back to the dock. I would highly recommend them because of this experience.
FlaGeorge

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I can also recommend Penns car rental. They have always been nothing but nice to us, and their cars are in good shape. 2 trips ago we got a flat tire, and were not able to get the car back to Penns lot due to some roadwork. Two nice guys from Penns walked down to where we parked the car (Mongoose) and changed the tire for us, no hassles, no charge.

Our first trip we used L+L, and they were very nice also. They met us on the ferry dock with the car, the paperwork only took a minute, and when we were ready to leave they just met us again at the dock and drove the jeep away. No worries. We chose to go with Penns on future trips because they have the big lot in town you can park in.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
hawksnestbay

Bougainvillea Leasing LTD.

Post by hawksnestbay »

Eric and Donald at Bougainvilla run a very friendly operation, have several parking spaces if you need to park, and vehicles in very good condition.On my last trip in July the A/C in the Jeep Liberty Stopped working on the 2nd day, and they could not have replaced the vehicle any faster, or been nicer about it. Then my daughter locked the keys in it, and all Donald said was "things happen, don't worry about it.
Nice people, and Donald has a really cool Art Studio in the Building.

www.donaldschnell.com/vehicles.htm
tencats

Post by tencats »

Not to burst any bodies bubble, but a couple of years ago, we had the identical tire situation with Curtesy, and they are not recommended by the villa company they use. So I recommend following the villa companies recommendations, have done so ever since with multiple cars, and have never had a repeat. 8)
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We used Conrad on our first trip and he was nothing but nice and we had no problems whatsoever with him or the car.

That being said, we switched to Courtesy because of the stuff on the forum and have used them the last two times we were there and plan to use them again next time. We like the location of their lot for parking better, and Greg and his staff are extremely nice.

Our last trip, they allowed us to keep the rental till we were through knowing that we didn't have to catch the ferry till like 1:30, and it wasn't reserved for that day. We were not charged extra for that either. They also allowed us to leave our bags there while we hung around Cruz Bay and when we went back to get them, they gave us a ride to the ferry.

We just have decided not to gris-gris ourselves by going back to Conrad Sutton. There were just too many complaints. We prefered to leave it as our last experience being a pleasureable one.

One other note, the rest of my family used Cool Breeze (got 4 Liberties through the villa) one of the times we were there and were very pleased with them. We like the Escapes better than the Liberties which is another reason we use Courtesy.

nothintolose
bert

Post by bert »

Courtesy is the best car rental agency on the island. They are all about customer service. IMHO.

peace.... bert
Cindy in pa

Dependable car rental

Post by Cindy in pa »

I have used Dependable Car Rental on St Thomas on my last 6 visits. They pick you up at the airport and take you back. I never had any trouble with any of their jeeps. Just make sure you tell them you are going to St John and that you need 4 wheel drive. The car barge is no big deal and a lot easier now that they moved the location on St John.
Chuck-S

Jeep Rentals

Post by Chuck-S »

We,ve used Dependable car rental many times,the last time being this past April.They were very friendly and we had no problems with taking the Jeep to St John for the day.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Getting back to my original question - does anyone know about Discount Car Rental on STT ?
FlaGeorge

RickG

Post by RickG »

I'm always sad to see complaints about Conrad Sutton. I've used him since 1997 at least once a year with nothing but great service. We have six cars reserved with him for Thanksgiving week.

One time one of our vehicles had a rear taillight crunched in a wall meets car incident at the villa. We told Conrad what happened and he said thanks for letting him know. No charge.

One of the things I've noticed about Conrad and family is that they respond very well to a little courtesy. It works for me and I stress it with the folks I send to him. "Good Day" goes a long way.

Caribbean Villas set us up with a car once. I think it was owned by their maintenance guy. The battery gave out the first day in Coral Bay and I got to spend four quality hours in Skinny Legs waiting for a jump. No battery, we had to follow him back to Cruz Bay and jump the car a few more times.

There's always a story. I've had the best service ever and the worst service ever from Avis at different locations. I like the St. John model better where you are renting from the owners.

Cheers, RickG