sea urchins??

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

sea urchins??

Post by parafins »

Has anyone out there ever came in contact with a sea urchin before?They look like they could do some damage.Would you need to seek a doctors care?I hope this is not a stupid question.Best wishes, Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I guess the books would say to see a doctor but the "home" remedy is to pour urine on the wound after you take the sticker out. This actually does work - eliminates the pain almost immediately.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

We had someone from our group put both hands down in the water - each, right on top of a sea urchin. It was very painful for her.

The clinic on the island said there was nothing you could do other than soak it in vinegar. If you try to pull the spikes out, they just crumble.

Always look for sea urchin around rocky beaches. You can generally see them in clear water, and one look let's you know that you want to avoid them
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

So if you can't pull the spines out, do you just leave them in? Do they fester out or what?
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

California Girl wrote:So if you can't pull the spines out, do you just leave them in? Do they fester out or what?
Living in Florida almost all my life – I’ve come in contact with these guys more then I like. As gross as it sounds Jumbiegirl is right about the urine – but this is a last resort. What you want to use is ammonia (which urine is). It will take the sting out very quickly. Then you want to use hydrogen peroxide and this will help get some of the spines out.

California Girl – The remaining spines will be absorbed by your body over time.

As an avid scuba diver – I always carry ammonia & hydrogen peroxide in my gear bag. These two item will help with all kinds of marine stings (jelly fish, fire coral, sea urchins and so on).

Hope this helps.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

See that's why I drink all that carib. To make sure I have a good supply of ammonia :P
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Eric in NJ wrote:See that's why I drink all that carib. To make sure I have a good supply of ammonia :P

Your a NUT - I like it.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Coden

Post by Coden »

FlaGeorge wrote: What you want to use is ammonia (which urine is). It will take the sting out very quickly. Then you want to use hydrogen peroxide and this will help get some of the spines out.

Oh thank goodness...I thought I was gonna have to take some mason jars down to STJ with us and have the boys start filling them up!! :lol: So glad to read that we don't. What a relief!!! :oops:
Coden
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

LOL Eric!!!

>>See that's why I drink all that carib. To make sure I have a good supply of ammonia <<<

SarahD
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Eric - your avatar is killing me - what I wouldn't give for a Carib right now. I have tried to find it anywhere close but no luck :cry:

nothintolose
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

nothintolose Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:25 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric - your avatar is killing me - what I wouldn't give for a Carib right now. I have tried to find it anywhere close but no luck

I know what you mean. I saw it in one store once but have not found it again.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.