Strange question for Pia and Ruth/Ron on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
Tracy in WI

Strange question for Pia and Ruth/Ron on STJ

Post by Tracy in WI »

I was just wondering what any of the other STJ locals think of you guys and your relationship with all of us - your forum friends and family? Is it a secret? Is it something to be proud of? I was just curious! I enjoy it!!

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

That's a GOOD QUESTION! I hope we're not a SECRET, like "embarassed to be seen with us addicts" kind of thing! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding!

I'm sure they have some stories........

Jan (akaCharlie)
Adrienne

Post by Adrienne »

Interesting question...but I am sure we (forum adicts) can't be all that bad...all of the pictures that I have seen with Pia in them - doesn't look like she is looking over her shoulder in case "someone sees her"....LOL

I love the fact that Pia and Ruth "play with us" on the forum - not only do they give us great insight on the daily goings-on in St. John, but they are there, living out a dream that many of us have, and they still want to be a part of this and help us with questions that could otherwise be annoying to locals!

Pretty great peeps!!

Thanks for keeping us all "in the loop"...
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi everyone :)

It's kind of hard to answer this one as the subject (for me anyway) of the forum does not come up too much in regular daily life except when hubby asks "what's new on the board?" (asked multiple times per day I might add :) )

The times I mention things to people (ie: when I tell someone I know of a mention on the board about their house etc) they kind of just ask - "oh, what did they say" and don't seem to be too interested in the links to the forum (except one, and you know who you are :wink: - I'm sure she is reading)

I have had 2 locals ask me if I am Pia (busted) :)

Anyway, I am proud to be part of this family - you guy's are great :)

Luv ya all

Pia
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

That is a good question.

I do have a story that goes way back to the AOL forum. At some point (maybe 2002?) I had the brilliant idea to host a weekly get-together for forumites on island. I put it out there and Ron and I started showing up at The Banana Deck for two hours every week (I think it was Wednesday 4-6 or something.) It was a slow time of the year (late summer/early fall?!) The first time, not knowing who/what to expect,I told Doug (B-Deck owner) that I needed a table "for my forum friends". He said "Who is that?" So I explained. He seemed to think it was a little weird. Then no one came. Actually no one came for several weeks. Ron gave up after week three or so and said "call me if anyone comes."

Eventually people did come, but usually two or three at a time. One time there may have been two couples. I met a lot of nice people in the long run and it was pretty fun and worthwhile. (Silverheels, Joe and Doreen, I foget who else but NOT Pete and Marcia, I think they were chicken and I met them another way.) However, I have had to endure five years of Banana Deck Doug asking me if I am meeting "all your friends?" every time I walk in there by myself for any reason!

Aside from that, I think a lot of people don't have a clue what's going on, except maybe locals who might be lurkers. People don't see us out socializing much because we work all the time and frankly the friends that you do have quit inviting you to things after a while when you always decline! Then people who know us see us out somewhere (shocker), but with a bunch of people they don't recognize. It draws attention because we're such nerds. At the Beach bar a few weeks ago, Pam Gaffin stopped me and said "Who are all those people?" I think Pam asked if the forumites were my family. Pam did think it was pretty cool and offered to host a forum hike sometime. Some of you know that Pam is the author of "Feet, Fins and Four-Wheel Drive". She was quite serious and has mentioned it to me again since then. I think it's a GREAT idea, but more than I can organize. If anyone who is coming down thinks they might like to do something like that, I can help facilitate. She's a wealth of knowledge and a lot of fun and I think some of you might really enjoy it. I probably won't join you because I'm very lazy. (Pam's a little mad at me about that part.)

Part of the thing that works about the Beach Bar Jazz Meetings (I think I've said this before) is that people who aren't really sure if they want to meet the forumites can go there anyway, anonymously, then watch and see if everyone looks normal and decide whether or not they want to join in. Some people are just not sure about this meeting-other-forumites business. (Or maybe it's their spouses!)

The thing that is a little rough about it is that in the summertime it's hot because the sun sets over that side. (That's why you can see the sunset on the web cam in summertime.) Also, it's hard to talk without yelling. Then, I feel like we're bothering people who might be there to hear the music, but I'm not really sure about that, just a little self-conscious. I worked in a jazz club for a long time so I might be overly sensitive there.....

But I am NEVER embarrassed to be with my forum pals!
-Ruth
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Ruth - that's a great story! I can only imagine what must have been going through Doug's head "There's Ruth and her imaginary friends again..." LOL! I only wish I knew about this forum the first time I wandered into St. John Spice a few years back (when you guys were still downstairs) - my husband and I just love it (he is a hot sauce fanatic!) In fact I think it may have been Ron we spoke to then - we had some items shipped a home to MA and he mentioned that he was from Ashland. Anyway, we recently ran out of grill rub so I guess it's time to plan another trip (and meet at a forumite gathering too). :)

I'd absolutely LOVE the opportunity to hike with Pam! She is partially (if not more than) the reason we fell in love with St. John way back when. We found a dog-eared copy of FF&4WD in our unit while honeymooning at Estate Concordia in '95. That book became our bible during that trip. We used it to plan our beach days, road trips, meals, etc - she even taught us how to snorkel (I'll never forget practicing in Concordia's pool - boy, have we come a long way!) I think I am on my third copy of the book now, and have recommended it to many friends as well. The next time you see Pam, please tell her "thank you" for me :)
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Ruth, ah yes the Banana Deck and meetings. I think it was back in '01 when RonUSVI put together a get together there. Very large forum group showed up. That was in the day when Ronnie, East Ender and mel posted quite a bit. Don't worry I won't spill who you are if you're reading. Almost think we had a about 15 folks.

Have to agree with the Beach Bar and Sunday Jazz. I tout it a lot since it's not only a great way to hear some great music, but it really as much of a local feel to it as anything. We're not talking about music to the visitors who are sitting around drinking, but locals from STJ and STT who come over sit in play music. A few years ago during one of the Sunday's it was Steve's wife's birthday. They had cake and a round of drink for everyone. It's one of those kind of events. The guy or gal you're sitting next to might get up and play or sing.

Gonna slow down here since I'm on my second giant margarita and don't like to drink and wax nostalgic.
brenda

Post by brenda »

I happened upons Pam's website quite by accident and saw that she offered island tours. We did a 4 hour tour with her last year that she tailored to our likes. We shared with another couple that we met. What a great time we had. That is one dynamic and interesting woman. I got her to sign my book 8) . This trip we used her book for our road trips and she is so spot on. Would like to do a forum hike or tour in the future as long as it is not too strenous of one :wink:
Going "home" again October 26th!
patr

Post by patr »

Oh Ruth, you and Ron are definitely not nerds! I think you're both uber cool, 'cause you live on St John! 8)

I bet if you had a forum gathering weekly today you'd be amazed how many folks would drop by. Everybody loves to talk to those of you living our dreams!

I would love to spend time with Pam, you know we enjoyed our time with Mike and Eileen in April and thought about inviting them to South Shore for dinner when we come back. Do you think they'd come?

Last year after reading Desiring Paradise, we contemplated contacting the Schaeffers and offering to treat them to a dinner, we even looked them up but were afraid they might think we were stalkers or something. :oops:

You hit the nail on the head about the spouse thing, my husband totally gets STJ, but he does not get my forum addiction. When I talk about meeting forumites at the Beach Bar or going in to rent a powerboat, he says, "You don't even know those people!!! You don't know what they're like. Why would you want to spend your vacation with strangers? :roll: I just thank my lucky stars that he gets STJ and wants to go as badly as I do.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Ruth, I've been meaning to bring up that a few of us met Pam. She was so great and enthusiastic about taking everyone out. I just wish there would have been more time. I'd definitely like to do something like that next time.
I've recommended that book to several people- one couple who's on island this week for the first time for their wedding, even. To think, before talking to me and reading her book they'd planned to stay at the Westin for the entire time!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:11 pm.