What will you try next time?

Travel discussion for St. John
LysaC

What will you try next time?

Post by LysaC »

I know STJ is a small island but there are lots of things to do. What new adventure will you go on next time you visit?

I thought this would be agreat place to discuss and get feedback on fun things to do while on island.

This year, we will do the Jost, Indians, Caves and Willie-T trip. Probably with Flyaway Charters. I've heard the Indians are awesome for snorkeling.

We also want to spend the day on Vie's beach. We spent a day on a beach a little ways down from her last year and loved it! Hopefully the Snack Shack will be open and we'll have lunch there as well.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We have a long list of things to do for the first time on our next trip:

Rent a dinghy
Snorkel the Indians
Eat at some of the places we have not tried: Sweet Plantains, Sogos, Island Blues...
Explore more of St. Thomas than the limited parts we've seen (basically, Secret Harbour, Charlotte Amelie and Red Hook)
Hike out to Brown Bay
Do the NPS Reef Bay hike

Can't wait for the next trip! John's talking February but we'll see about that.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

A definite will be to rent a dinghy, and I'd really like to try night snorkeling, though it seems scary! :roll:

SarahD
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Other than just enjoy the fact that we are back in paradise....

We always say, get over to Jost and back to Willie T's and the Indians and maybe the caves at Norman Island but never seem to get there or rent a dinghy.

Those are the things we would like to do. If they happen, they happen, if not, we will still be happy.

One thing is for sure, I am going to have a Carib as soon as I step off the ferry and a mango smoothie at the smoothie truck and watch the sunset at The Beach Bar.

I don't even know when I am going back, but it is sure nice to think about isn't it. We are planning on sometime in late June but nothing is set yet.

nothintolose
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I'd like to snorkel at Vie's and rent a dinghy in Coral Bay and explore that side of the coast.
Amy

Re: What will you try?

Post by Amy »

I'd really like to try snorkeling the beaches I haven't gotten to yet, including the Caneel beaches, Lameshur, and Vie's. There are still many restaurants we haven't been to yet, and I love authentic West Indian food so I'd like to get to Sogo's. And maybe take the ferry over to Tortola, since we haven't ever been there. But it always seems that as soon as we get to STJ we just want to do the same things we've done before, because we love them so much. I guess we're kind of sentimental that way. As soon as I get back, I long to be on those same beaches, or have a Bushwacker at The Beach Bar, or eat Joe's BBQ!
RickG

Post by RickG »

I still haven't gotten over to Parrot Bay. The Tektite Snorkel has been on my list since 1997.

Hopefully catch Inner Visions.

Walk down Ditleff Point again before they build houses.

Cheers, RickG
patr

Post by patr »

I want to get to the full moon party at Miss Lucy's. We have never been lucky enough to be on island during the full moon, this year I think we'll hit it!
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
David- n Hampton, VA

Too much fun!

Post by David- n Hampton, VA »

This post is too much fun.....there are so many things I want to try on my next and subsequent visits, it would be hard to describe.

They include things like dingy rentals, sail charters, hiking the trails (my wife is not really the hiking type), snorkling in the harder to reach beaches (all of them), parasailing, wind surfing, etc.....

Good grief, I hope to live long enough (and have sufficient funds) to do them all!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I forgot about a dinghy rental. Hubby wants to do this real bad!

I'm hesitant because neither of us knows much about boats and he thinks he knows more than he does! He's never taken a boat out on the ocean but of course thinks it will be quite easy. I have visions of scraping against coral, hitting turtles or snorkelers, getting caught in rough waters.

Good grief!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Just a shot from our house for November!

For November, I am thinking of planning a day trip to tortola.

Past things we did that we loved:

*Daytrip to the baths on the Pirates Penny with a lunch at Willy T and a snorkle around the Indians

*Dinghy rental from Crabby's on the Coral Bay side

*Full Moon Party at Miss Lucy's

*A round of putt-putt at Pastory Gardens (I thought it would be so cheesy but it was awesome - great course very lush and beautiful, plus live music!)

*Daysail to Jost Van Dyke

*Breakfast at Donkey Diner - YUM

*Learn to Scuba lesson with Colette of 6Paq Scuba (I am a HUGE chicken and she got me under about 30 feet).

*Take-out from Uncle Joes! A MUST!

*Sandwiches and sides from Deli Grotto for a lunch at Francis bay

Enjoy!!!![/img]
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

So many things, so little time! We have stayed on the North Shore and on Gift Hill so this trip we're staying in Coral Bay. Here's our list:

Rent dinghy and explore Coral Bay and whatever else we can get to.

Go to Sweet Plantains for dinner

Go to Salt Pond, I'm not a hiker so we'll see.

Watch the sunset from the Beach Bar.

Snorkle Jumbie, Cinnamon Cay, and Haulover.

This will be our first trip that we don't go "off Island" which is fine, it's been a busy year. Our list is nothing exciting, it will be an adventure just staying in Coral Bay and spending some time around there!

Jan (aka Charlie)
72 days and counting! :lol: :lol:
Joe Jackson

Tradewinds website hacked again

Post by Joe Jackson »

Tradewinds website hacked again
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Well, we've already done a first by renting a villa. Also plan to eat at ZoZo's and watch the sunset from their bar.

We've always wanted to visit the Baths, but never took the time to take a day trip. so this time, we're spending a week on VG before heading to STJ.

I think that's enough new adventure for one year.
janet
Coden

Post by Coden »

So far, these are the things we want to do for sure!

Rent a dinghy (maybe from both sides)
Hike and Snorkel many trails
Swim in our pool and be lazy
Eat at Sweet Plantains, grab pizza's, etc.
Shop at St. John Spice
Hang out in Cruz Bay for a couple of afternoon/evenings

Since we are staying in Coral Bay I'm sure we'll do all of the Coral Bay stuff. We of course hope to spend time getting to know Cruz Bay as well. But, our main goal is to Hike, Snorkel and relax at our Villa with some nice Cruzan Rum for me and Carib Beer for the boys!

Can't wait!!!
Coden