California Girl's Trip Report - Part 7

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

California Girl's Trip Report - Part 7

Post by California Girl »

Trip Report - Part Seven - Thursday, May 10th

Thursday had been designated as our "explore the island/shopping" day. We began by heading out to East End. We saw Haulover Bay, Vi's Snack Shack and lots of donkeys & goats along the way. Man it's beautiful out there! But the road can be a little challenging at times! :shock: There were some pictures I wish I had gotten, but I'll just have to return and take them next time! Vi's was open but it was only 10 a.m. and a little too early for garlic chicken or conch fritters. Wouldn't you just know that we're lucky enough to find her open and we're not ready to eat?? Shoulda' got take-out and dropped it back off at the villa for dinner, I suppose. Ah... hindsight! Why is it always so clear NOW?

We stopped at Skinny Legs but, again, too early for lunch so we just shopped. Before I left on this trip, I vowed to ring Howie's bell. Do you suppose I could remember to do that?? Heck no! I was too obsessed with trying to find a "map" t-shirt like Kenny Chesney's! Their shirts run HUGE there! I usually buy a Large because I like 'em roomy, but their Large hit me at the knees! There were no Mediums and I was starting to get bummed out because no other shirt was acceptable - sheesh! I ended up with a Small and it fits fine! Whew! Well, after that whole scene, I totally forgot about ringing Howie's bell. So sorry Howie's Sunshine! It keeps looking more and more like I need another trip to STJ!!

We filled up the car at Domino in Coral Bay and headed into Cruz Bay for some serious shopping and a little computer time at Connections. When we walked into Connections, who should we see but St. John Ruth! Hi Ruth! I used the computer for a couple of minutes and then turned it over to Sharon. While Sharon was on the computer, Rick & I were talking to Ruth, and who should burst through the front door but LUNA!! Geez... how lucky can a first-timer get to have a personal audience with Luna?! :roll: As soon as she walked in, the ladies behind the counter told her she had to leave. At that point Luna started going off and Ruth said, "See ya!" and she took off (smart move, Ruth!). Well, Luna was all over that store, waving her arms and yelling about how she needed to use the phone. And the ladies behind the counter were saying something like, "You broke the phone the other day, now you can't use it any more! Get out, we're callin' the cops!" It went back and forth for a couple of seconds, and that's when Sharon (who had been oblivious to this while she was doing her e-mail - I know, how could you be oblivious??) decided to get off her computer stool and turn around to walk over to us, by the door. She JUST MISSED bumping into Luna, but didn't actually touch her. Well, THAT got Luna's attention! Luna turned and glared down on Sharon and said, "DON'T - TOUCH ME! EVER!!!" Hmmmm... How fast do you think you can get the front door to Connections open?

After our fun at Connections, we walked over to The Balcony for lunch. It was almost empty because it was past lunch time. We got a table on the railing and had an excellent lunch! The fish & chips was awesome and Rick had a Ham & Cheese sandwich on a Cuban roll (I think). I had a couple Lime n' Coconuts and Rick finally found a place that serves Ice Tea!! We were so surprised to find that Ice Tea is not a common drink on St. John. We drink it all the time at home and every place serves it.

SHARON AND ME AT THE BALCONY

From the Balcony, we went to Freebird & Palm Jewelers. I found a hook bracelet I wanted, but I had already ordered a ring from Coral Bay Jewelers, so I decided to wait. Guess I need another trip to St. John! The ring I ordered is a gold Petroglyph band (http://stjohnjewelers.com/petroglyph.htm) and I had ordered it the day before (the afternoon we saw the dolphin at Waterlemon). When we were talking to Tom, the owner (oh, I hope I got his name right!) we were telling him about the dolphin and showed him the pictures on our cameras. He was so excited! He also told us the story of Splash and said we were really lucky to have seen her. Then when we went to pick up my ring the next day, his wife told us he had taken their daughter out of school that day to go out to Waterlemon, but sadly, no Splash. :cry:

From Coral Bay Jewelers, we walked down to Mongoose Junction and checked out the stores again. Then back to St. John Spice (no one can say we didn't get our exercise!) where we proceeded to clean out Ruth & Ron's stores. Sharon's daughter is expecting a baby, so we got a few things at St. John Kids, and we bought all our "presents" for the folks at home at St. John Spice. Lots of coffee and teas, and Spice Sampler Paks! Ruth and Ron were so nice to ship them all home for me! What a relief not to have to drag it all on the plane!

We went back to the villa via North Shore Road and stopped at Peter Bay to pay a call on the Jorge gang. Even though there were 2 cars in the driveway, no one was home. But we looked through the big windows in the front doors and the place looked very nice!

SHHHHHH! DON'T TELL JORGE WE TOOK THIS PICTURE 8)

I scrounged around for a pen and tore the back cover off my Coupon St. John book and left a little note on the front door, and back to Coral Bay we went. We passed the villa and headed down to Lily's Market to get some hot dog buns, and catsup/mustard, etc. I was really impressed with that little market. They had a lot more stuff than I expected... fresh produce that didn't look too bad, and a meat & cheese counter, and lots of other things. The guys that work there, and their Middle Eastern music, seem out of place on St. John, but it's a nice store. I'd go back. I was really craving fruit salad for some reason and we saw "Mosquito Bites" across the way so stopped over there. That's a great little place! Not only did he have fruit salad, but macaroni salad, potato salad, vegetable salad and a few other things. Not much was going on since it was late in the day, and most of his stock was low until he worked all night to bake more, but I'd love to hit that place in the morning for pastries or sandwiches to take to the beach! While I was there he was making bread for the next day. A very nice guy. And by the way, the pint of fruit salad I got was $6. That's what I pay at home.

COCOLOBA PLAZA: AQUA BISTRO, LILY'S MARKET & MOSQUITO BITES

On the way home, we stopped at the Smoothie Truck for a "St. John Style" smoothie for me and "virgin" smoothies for Rick & Sharon. I also bought a couple of those little painted metal critters. They're hanging in my bathroom now (a crab & a lizard) and I just LOVE 'em!

Back at the villa we broiled the hot dogs so Rick wouldn't have to stand outside with the skeeters (he said it was worth it for tri tip, but not for hot dogs :lol: ) and we had them with chips in front of the TV. Jorge called and said he was diving when we stopped by and Barbara was out somewhere with Paula. Too bad we just missed them. But we made plans to meet the next day at Trunk Bay.

G'nite!

Our pictures:
http://www.pbase.com/thegripps/st_john_2007
Last edited by California Girl on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

I'm so glad someone had their smoothie St. John style. :)
I also love that your trip reports keep going... trust me, this is a GOOD thing for everyone!
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Thanks Margo... great report and pics, as usual.

So did you guys find any other places that serve Iced Tea??? Iced tea is my favorite thing to order at restaurants... hmmmm.

Carole
cat

Post by cat »

Drawing this out is killing me! Another great report! The pics throughout have been so wonderful! Thank you for the time that it takes to do these reports! :D
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Another great report thank you
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

hmmmmmm I now feel like having my coffee "st john style" this morning. would that be wrong??????
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I don't drink coffee but that might make want to start
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

mbw1024 wrote:hmmmmmm I now feel like having my coffee "st john style" this morning. would that be wrong??????
It's almost Friday, so I say there is NOTHING wrong with that!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I didn't think so!

I in 3 minutes I begin a series of conference calls that will take me solidly through 5pm today! I'm sure it would make me MUCH more friendly on these calls ;)
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Margo - I don't know how this thought came to me, but - you need another trip to St. John! Great report, your pictures are so good, you show things that are often spoken of, but rarely photographed. Excellent job (as always).

Robin
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Thanks for this installment. I can close my eyes and almost smell the island air. Thanks for the pics and reports.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Sounds like a busy day! Your pictures are great. Now I have to go back and find all your other installments! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

I read every word and studied each picture as my time on STJ is drawing near. Thank you!
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

I have looked forward to reading about your trip and it has been great reporting so far! It has been very entertaining and your pics are great! :P :P

You guys did have a busy day "downtown", and thanks for the tip on "Mosquitoe Bites", will have to check that out!

Jan (akaCharlie)
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Oh, I love those "St.John style smoothies"!!!, especially with mango .. yum.
We did go by Mosquito Bites in the morning to pick up sandwiches to take to the beach, and it was very good. And yes, Lily's does have a great selection, too.
I LOVE your pictures!!!