Water Temperature Question??

Travel discussion for St. John
Tiffany

Water Temperature Question??

Post by Tiffany »

:?:

Hi everyone! I am hoping Anthony or one of you can help me out. We are island lovers and have enjoyed many trips there. We recently got engaged and are hoping to have our wedding on either St. Thomas or St. John next April. Here's where the question comes...does anyone know what the water temperature is there that time of year? We usually go in the summer and it's always warm then, but I didn't know about April. Do you need wetsuits, etc? Any advice or knowledge would be great..thanks in advance.
Thanks, Tiffany
Splasher54

Water Temp

Post by Splasher54 »

We went in January last year and the water was wonderful. We brought shorty wetsuits and never used them and we were in the water 4 and 5 hours a day.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Splasher54 - that is good news to hear since we are going in Dec.
Coden
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Tiffany,
What part of the country are you from? Warm is relative.....
If you happen to have grown up in New Hampshire or anywhere on the East Coast (as I did) there is not a single day of the year that you would consider the water on St. John "cold". Some days you'll shiver for about one second when you go in because it's a few degrees cooler than the air, but then it will feel great. I'm sure there are temperature averages available that someone will look up, but I really don't think you need to worry about cold water unless you are from a very warm climate. People who are from here think the water is too "cold" from December to April, but I'm pretty sure they've not experienced Hampton Beach, N.H. The last time I was there was in August 2004 on the hottest day of the year, and I STILL couldn't get in that water.
-Ruth
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I freeze in any water below 82° or so. I've been to St John in May several times and there were some days that I used my shorty wetsuit or didn't go in the water at all because it felt cold to me. I've been in June several times as well and the water seemed slightly warmer then. But it really all depends on the general weather at the time and the ocean currents.
jmq

Post by jmq »

As stated already, a lot depends on your own tolerance for cooler water and maybe how well "insulated" you may be. My wife and daughter both weigh <115 lb. and they got chilled after being in the water awhile in late March, but were much more comfortable a year later in late April. For them, that 2-3 degree difference was significant.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
KWL

water temp

Post by KWL »

Year-round average water temp is reported as 80.