No
44%
Depends (please explain)
4%

Total votes: 27

patr

travel Insurance?

Post by patr »

I am never sure if I should purchase travel insurance.

Last year with the early and intense hurricane season, I bought it for the first time.

We visited late in July. This year we will be there late November and early December.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I always do. And they will cover villa rentals as well. I am a PT travel agent and all I can say is you just never know what is going to happen.
I for one have an older Mom and I just never know how her health is going to be. With the insurance I can make my plans with a clear mind.

I cruise a lot a if something happened at home that I needed to return for, a flight like that would cost a fortune.

Also, some policies cover things like losing your camera!

It's not expensive and I think it's SO worth the peace of mind.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I bought travel insurance just for the unforseen! Money spent on a villa, plane tickets and all the other things that go into a trip like this is worth protecting in my opinion. I'm not planning to be on island during hurricane season, but since you generally have to plan so far out, who knows what might happen to change your plans before the date arrives?!

233 days and counting!
8)
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

We prefer to take the risk. If you take enough trips then chances are you'll spend more money on insurance then you'll ever get back - the law of averages since the insurance company are making money on it (we also suspect the villa rental agenies make a cut since they always push it). But everyone's risk tolerance and trip uncertainty is different, so it's a personal decision.
Bob & Anita
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Just like Bob & Anita, we've done so much travelling over the years that we never purchased the insurance. Plus we often travel "last minute". But a couple of years ago we had health issues with our parents and have since started purchasing insurance. It does give us peace of mind.

Jan (aka Charlie)
Coden

Post by Coden »

Yes, we do purchase travel insurance and we mainly do it for the medical emergency evacuation. I have a friend whose sister had to be evacuated, just 2 months ago, due to a fall which resulted in a cracked skull...the air lifting alone was $39,000.

We go through www.insuremytrip.com and compare the available policies. I always pick the best policy with the company that has the best Rating. I do not want to deal with a company that has poor practices so I look for the A+ companies. The one that I'm using for our Dec. trip is actually a policy that I purchased for a cruise that I was going to take in April '07, canceled that, changed it to one for Feb '07, canceled that one for Dec. '06, canceled that for this STJ trip. Believe it or not but the insurance company has been more than nice about the changes and each time I contacted them they just changed the policy. I even got a refund after the 1st change because it was a much higher costed vacation.

Also, for the most part I do not insure our flights, most flights, while they might not be refunable, the air line does hold your funds for a year. If the added price of the flights makes the policy amount go up, I do not add it in, if it doesn't, then I do.
Coden
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I haven't yet purchased it but I have looked into purchasing it.
Bluwater

Depends...

Post by Bluwater »

I selected the "Depends" (not the adult diapers!) option.

If I go in hurricane season or with my parents, who have various health-related issues, I buy the insurance from Travelguard.com. Otherwise, I take my chances.

The medical evacuation possibility is a very good reason to buy it! A girlfriend of mine just got air-vacced out of Mexico while on vacation with her hubby and children when a she got a virus that put fluid around her lungs and heart. You never know.
Bluwater
David- n Hampton, VA

Yes but curiously...only for Caribbean trips

Post by David- n Hampton, VA »

Never purchased any insurance for a snow ski vacation (1 or 2 trips yearly for last 11-12 years divided between US and European destinations). But I ahve purchased it for every trip to the Caribbean. Part of the reason is that I always go during the middle of Hurricane season, and I like to pay well in advance for everything I can. This way I have a little piece of mind....but since I have never had to use it....not sure if it has been worth it. Will only know once a truly bad thing happens and I have to use it.