RobnCindi's Trip Report - Part Two

Travel discussion for St. John
robncindi

RobnCindi's Trip Report - Part Two

Post by robncindi »

Day Two - Saturday, May 26, 2007

Boy, did we both ever sleep like babies! We were both sound asleep by 10:00 p.m. and I think it was a bit after 8:00 a.m. or so before we woke ... neither one of us can remember the last time we slept for 10+ hours straight :!: We had our coffee out on the patio of the villa, immensely enjoying the peacefulness and serenity of Fish Bay. We are partial to the Fish Bay area. We had stayed in a small cottage overlooking Fish Bay on our first and only previous trip to STJ back in August 2004 ... so that first morning of gazing out at the view instantly brought back wonderful memories for us and definitely solidified our feeling of we are "home" again.

Well folks, not much to say about the next few hours. It was basically spent doing ... a whole lotta nothing! Pure Bliss.....

At one point, I had decided a pool float would be nice, so I did a search of the villa and grounds looking for one. No luck. I made a comment to Rob - "Man - I sure wish I had a pool float!" Ahhhh ... there it was. Just what Rob needed (or should I say wanted) - an excuse to hit the roads of St. John! Let me just say this - I think Rob looks forward to driving on St. John just as much as any other aspect of the trip. He absolutely loves it!! And, I will admit, he is a natural at it. He drives the island like he's been doing it his whole life. In his words ... "driving on the left just makes sense!"

O.K. I'm game. I decide I'll venture out with him. So off to Cruz Bay we go with Speed Racer (uhhh - I mean Rob) behind the wheel and looking like a little kid on Christmas morning!

First stop was Mongoose Junction. We enjoyed walking around and browsing the shops there. No pool float to be found however. We leave Mongoose and head over to the drugstore in the Marketplace Shopping Center - where we did have luck in finding a float. As we were heading out of Cruz Bay, we passed a little joint and Hey look ... I think that was Candi's BBQ! Rob had seen the video blog of Candi's BBQ on the "on-stjohn.com" website a couple months back and was dying to give it a try. So, a quick u-turn up the road, and back to Candi's we went for a late lunch. Now, I'm not really a fan of BBQ - so I didn't order anything. I figured I'd grab something back at the villa. Rob ordered the BBQ Rib Plate and a Rum Punch. I don't know if this picture really does it justice - but this was a whole lotta food!

Rob dug in and said it was absolutely awesome. I couldn't help myself, so I grabbed a rib and gave it a try. It was really, really good! The meat was so juicy and tender and just fell off the rib bone. The home fries were just the right amount of crispiness and the corn on the cob was sweet, tender and juicy (yes - I gave those a try as well!) :lol:

As we were leaving Candi's, we thanked them and Rob mentioned it was the best damn BBQ he's ever had. The cook, I think his name is Reggie, chuckled and said "Best Darn BBQ this side of Texas anyway". No, Rob replied...we live in Texas and this beats Texas BBQ hands down! I think Reggie appreciated that!

We headed on out of Cruz Bay and enjoyed a beautiful scenic drive back to Fish Bay.

Ditliff Point:

On our previous trip, Rob and I had hiked out to Ditliff Point (this was before the road was built of course) and had snorkeled Klein Bay one late afternoon. We were the only people there and it ended up being one of our favorite spots on St. John. On our way back to Fish Bay, we stopped off at Ditliff and drove the new road out as far as it went. I have to admit, it was kind of heartbreaking for me to drive out (vs. hike) on Ditliff Point and see all the home sites marked off. :cry:

Back to Fish Bay:

Back at the villa, it was more relaxing and some cold drinks. I was back in my lounge chair doing some reading and Rob was exploring the grounds of the villa, taking some pictures and what not.

Next thing I know, I hear Rob saying something about wanting to give his snorkel gear a 'test run'. I hear a splashing commotion and glance over and there he is flailing around in the Splash Pool with his Mask, Snorkel and Fins on. He's 6'3" and the splash pool is not much more in length than that. It was a pretty funny sight and gave me a really good belly laugh. :o :lol:

Hung out at the villa for the night, turning in early. A great first full day on the island!
Last edited by robncindi on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

My hubby can't keep his panties on at the villa either. I love the :D

Great, fun report!!
Rob7

Post by Rob7 »

Thanks Cindi, for the Part 2 report and pictures. You are right, that villa looks like a lot more fun then that "small cottage" you had last time :D
Have already put Candi's on my "must do" list for the next visit. Must admit I am a BBQ nut, so looking forward to it. Fully agree with you about Ditliff Point....so sad. Looking forward to the next chapter !
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

I laughed so hard when you told us about that on Memorial Day but this time, water actually came out my nose! My coworkers are going to wonder why I stay late and crack up at my desk all alone.

Great report again! Good to know the BBQ is good even if you're not a BBQ person (I'm not either). Of course, here in CO we don't know BBQ anyway.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We didn't get to Candies and now John is regretting it! Lovely photos, thanks for sharing.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
toni

Post by toni »

Nice photo editing! :lol:

Liked the Ditliff photo, we stayed in Rendezvous Bay area last year and liked the view; we're thinking about going farther to Fish Bay the next time.

Appreciate the reports!
robncindi

Post by robncindi »

[quote="toni"]Nice photo editing! :lol:

quote]

That is what my butt really looks like! Serious nice tattoo huh?!? 8)

R
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

What a great report!
That villa looked neat!
The pictures of the food were hilarious, before and after it was eaten. How funny! No one else has done that yet!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Yay, the board has been missing nekkid reports :)
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Great report, wonderful pix. We also stayed up in Pt. Rendezvous last time, and considered Fish Bay this time but decided we like the view we had so we're going back. Was nice to see all the way down to Ram's Head. Being waterfront like you guys were is really tempting, though. Looking forward to more from you!

Robin
CardinalSynn

Post by CardinalSynn »

That beer can was quite funny. If that was beer?
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

It's a nekkid "OneHornButtFish"!!! :shock:

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

Thanks for the morning chuckle :lol: Candies looks gooooood! I like that villa too.
When will I see St John again?
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Fabulous trip report and pictures. I have to try Candi’s BBQ the next time we’re on STJ. We just got back from Houston and had some pretty awesome BBQ there. I love good BBQ. Your villa was right on the water? What was the name of the villa and who did you get it through? Can’t wait for the next one. Thanks
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Thanks for another great report The rbs looked great.