Domestic or International

Travel discussion for St. John
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

California Girl:
I only said that because of the distance. Thinking that USAir was counting the miles. Sorry if you thought I meant anything else. Certainly know Hawaii is a state, having taught History and Geography for 30 years.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

No problem :) I can see where you were coming from now, regarding the "distance" thing.
DiverDonn

Domestic or International

Post by DiverDonn »

With all this confusion within each airline itself, it might be interesting to see what the baggage check policy is for both destinations. It seems like the International checked baggage allowance for most airlines is slightly greater than that for what they consider Domestic flights. I wonder if you can use that to help straiten out the confusion.
DiverDonn
Steve S

Re: USAir

Post by Steve S »

Bluwater wrote:Now that it has been mentioned here, that reminds me that USAir flight attendants do try to push the USAir card application on the USVI flights and tell you that you *could* be traveling for free (the coupon). They'll even ask you, if you say you already have the card, if this is your free flight. My coupon went unused because I couldn't use it for VI travel.
I'm with ya Blu. I got the card and over the past 3 years managed to save up the 60,000 miles for 2 Caribbean flights. Problem is, there is not one 30,000 mile frequent flyer award opening to STT for the whole existing USAir schedule up until August of next year. They have plenty of "premium" seats at 50,000 miles each though...
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Here is an update. I called Continental this morning and asked them. The representative then asked me if we are connecting in Puerto Rico or flying straight through to St. Thomas. I told her that we were connecting. Then she said that technically if we are connecting in Puerto Rico we can go to the Domestic counter but if we were going straight through to St. Thomas then we would go International. Basically she said its really up to us. She suggested to go to the International Counter. Now I just hope we get down there and not stuck in Puerto Rico. That tropical wave is getting bigger by the minute. Maybe we shouldn't be flying on Friday the 13th!!
jac w

Post by jac w »

Good luck. We (15 of us) took Continental out of Newark in May. I said domestic (that's what it was last time) our limo driver insisted international. International sent us downstairs to domestic. My sister & brother-in-law went to domestic they had them and the kids go upstairs to international. International sent them back downstairs where the same woman told them international was wrong and to go back upstairs. At some point in the insanity they called my other sister who had already checked in and found out that it was indeed domestic.

Only St. John is worth the insanity of Newark Airport.
Barb

Post by Barb »

silverheels wrote:Here's the info that I got from USAir. I got this information because I was told when I applied for their Master Card that I would be able to get a companion ticket for $99 when I booked a flight over $250. Well, when I tried to do this last night - no such thing! The Virgin Islands are considered international and that promotion only applies to domestic flights. I'm upset because that's not what I was told. Also the stewardesses on our last flight from the USVI were "hawking" USAir Visa and telling passengers how wonderful it is to have this card because of the companion fare and they mentioned the VI in their spiel. Have been on the phone with USAir and the bank and it's a no go for these companion fares. They also consider Hawaii international (this I can see). No mention of Alaska and I bet that the mileage to Alaska from the east coast is more than that to the VI. Just thought I'd let all of you who have been "suckered" into this to forget about any "specials." :x
This is wrong information they are giving Hawaii is not international. It is the 50th state no passport needed or birth certificate to get to Hawaii when leaving like the USVI unless you have one for the USVI. Never had to check in internation for either Hawaii or USVI.
Barb
A Dream can be only a wish away