Domestic or International

Travel discussion for St. John
SusanNJ

Domestic or International

Post by SusanNJ »

My husband and I are headed to St. John in less then 30 days - Oct. Friday the 13th to be exact for a destination wedding. Now this will be our fourth time traveling but every time we go to Newark Airport and to Continental we get a different answer EVERYTIME. If we go to the domestic counter to check in, they St. Thomas is International, then if you go to the international counter they say its domestic! Which is it???
:?:
Cindy in pa

Domestic

Post by Cindy in pa »

It is definately domestic. I have done that flight 6 times in the last year and a half.
jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

I thought it was international. Why not check with the airline to be sure.
Joe
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

:D My goodness, I think I've found Mr. Westin aka Joe from the "other" forum! If it is it's great to know that you are still around. Hope all is well with you. Did you ever try another place other than the Westin? I know that you were thinking of doing so.
Marie
Joe Jackson

Tradewinds website hacked again

Post by Joe Jackson »

Tradewinds website hacked again
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

I have called Continental and they say its Domestic. Last year they said the same thing and then when we went to the counter they said we should go to International! I guess I will let you know what happens when I get back. Thanks again!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

For what it's worth, I called American several months ago and they said Domestic.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Here's the info that I got from USAir. I got this information because I was told when I applied for their Master Card that I would be able to get a companion ticket for $99 when I booked a flight over $250. Well, when I tried to do this last night - no such thing! The Virgin Islands are considered international and that promotion only applies to domestic flights. I'm upset because that's not what I was told. Also the stewardesses on our last flight from the USVI were "hawking" USAir Visa and telling passengers how wonderful it is to have this card because of the companion fare and they mentioned the VI in their spiel. Have been on the phone with USAir and the bank and it's a no go for these companion fares. They also consider Hawaii international (this I can see). No mention of Alaska and I bet that the mileage to Alaska from the east coast is more than that to the VI. Just thought I'd let all of you who have been "suckered" into this to forget about any "specials." :x
stjohnmay2003

Post by stjohnmay2003 »

3 years ago I flew continental out of Newark to St Thomas and stood in the domestic line only to then be told we should be going to International!
Married- Trunk Bay May 3, 2003
California Girl

silverheels wrote: They also consider Hawaii international (this I can see).
HUH?? Hawaii is our 50th State. Why would you "see" that it was international?

I just got off the phone with American Airlines and this is what I was told:

The person I spoke to today said, the USVI, although it is a U.S. Territory, is considered international. The same with Puerto Rico .... sometimes. When leaving the USVI, you have to show your birth certificate or Passport or whatever documents you need to show in order to go back into the continental U.S. - therefore, international.

With Puerto Rico, you usually don't have to show any proof to go back to the continental U.S. so it's considered domestic (but this also depends on who's standing at the counter that day - sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't!).

USVI is considered a Territory, Puerto Rico is considered a "protectorate" - there is apparently a difference.

Hawaii is a STATE, you don't have to show any documents to come and go, therefore it's considered domestic.

The agent at American said when you show up at the airport (get this!) go to the international counter and if they say you need to be at domestic, then you can go over to the other line. But if you show up at domestic and stand in line for a long time and then you are told it's international, you've waited in a big long line for nothing.

So what I glean from this entire transaction is this: No one knows what the hell they're talking about! I figure if I show up at the right gate at the right time for the right flight number, my chances of getting to St. Thomas are pretty good.
:roll:
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ya, I've seen this handled differently by airline. In Dulles airport I've always been fine going to the domestic check-in.
California Girl

Ok, this really has me going...

I just phoned U.S. Air, United Airlines, Continental Airlines and Delta Airlines. Here's what they all said:

U.S. Air: USVI = international, Puerto Rico = international

United Airlines: USVI = international, Puerto Rico = international

Continental Airlines: USVI = international, Puerto Rico = domestic

Delta Airlines: USVI = international, Puerto Rico = international

And, as I posted above, American: USVI = international, Puerto Rico = domestic

One website posted domestic as: US 50 States & Mexico
Another website (U.S. Air) said domestic was: US & Canada.

So I guess it's basically up to whomever you're talking to today. I really don't think there's a rule for everyone...it's more like whatever each individual airline decides they want domestic or international to be. :?

When I left for STT from Orange County, California last year it was on AA and was domestic.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Wow thank you for that research! Now another question is if you are flying to St. Thomas and connecting in Puerto Rico is it then Domestic? I also think its a gamble depending who says what - I even called Continental last year before we left from Newark and the girl on the phone said it is International. When we got to the counter the girl behind the counter said we should go to Domestic!! I will try giving Continental a call the day before we leave and see what the answer of the day is -
Thank you,
California Girl

S_Sypniewski wrote: Now another question is if you are flying to St. Thomas and connecting in Puerto Rico is it then Domestic?
I think flying from PR to STT it's still international, since PR is considered domestic. I understood the AA guy as saying if you have to show proof of citizenship to return to the continental U.S. (which you do when you leave STT), then it's international.
S_Sypniewski wrote: I will try giving Continental a call the day before we leave and see what the answer of the day is

That's the best idea yet!
Bluwater

USAir

Post by Bluwater »

Now that it has been mentioned here, that reminds me that USAir flight attendants do try to push the USAir card application on the USVI flights and tell you that you *could* be traveling for free (the coupon). They'll even ask you, if you say you already have the card, if this is your free flight. My coupon went unused because I couldn't use it for VI travel.
Bluwater