Bringing booze back

Travel discussion for St. John
cuddles

Bringing booze back

Post by cuddles »

We have been to the USVI a few times and have always enjoyed bringing home Cruzan Rum as gifts to our friends. In the past we have always transported our purchases as carry-on in the cardboard boxes with handles provided with our purchase at K-mart.

Now that there is a ban on liquids in carry-ons, we are wondering what is the best way to pack and transport all those bottles. (We usually buy the maximum allowed - 6 bottles each!)

Has anyone had success transporting there booze home? I would hate to leave the islands without one of my favorite souveniers! :cry:
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

We have put it in checked luggage a few times. However, I once had a Kahlua bottle's seal break and got it in my clothes - stains! I'm not going to put it in with my clothes luggage again.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Most of the stores are packing the bottles to withstand putting it in your checked luggage. We brought some home just recently and it did fine in our checked luggage, which was only a duffle bag.
RickG

Post by RickG »

In another context (bringing wine and beer back from Europe) we have been discussing this subject. The consensus has been that shipping bottles in your luggage works great, if you can live with the very occasional bottle failure. Putting bottles in zip lock bags does not contain the damage. The second-best approach is packing in a standard box - slightly more frequent breakage, but no clothes damage.

Cheers, RickG
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I like to wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in my luggage also make sure the caps are tite we the tape the caps so they can't loosen
Steve S

Bringing Back Booze

Post by Steve S »

I chuckled when saw this subject line because I thought "Has it ever really gone out of style?" :)

Seriously, I've never jumped on the bring back the booze wagon. Granted, prices are good and rum is dirt cheap, but the hassle of dealing with another piece of luggage that may just be the one that a.) breaks the camel's (dad's)back or b.)maybe leaks onto moms new outfit isn't worth the $30 -$50 dollars in savings. Support your local economy and leave the booze buying at home.
Eric in NJ

Re: Bringing Back Booze

Post by Eric in NJ »

Seriously, I've never jumped on the bring back the booze wagon.

I'm with you. I don't drink any of the foreign liquers that are cheap. Kaluha, chivas etc etc. I mostly buy American Bourbon. And (ok grab your socks) I'm not much of a rum drinker. So I never see prices so great that I want to bother.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Not a chance would I try to bring back booze in my luggage. I am NOT a glutton for punishment. I've had shampoo and sun products leak or spill in transit and it's been a mess and almost put me over the edge. :oops: Our trips down are vacations and I'd be a stressed :cry: mess all the way back home (usually a 12 hour trip). It is not worth it. We like a to save a few bucks like everybody, but in the last few years our 6 bottles have gone down to 4 and now 2 and now it's probably nothing. LOL, I still have 3 unopened bottles of Kahula and a few assorted others we have collected over the years sitting around. Not worth the aggravation and couple of buck a bottle saving.

Diane
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

We were bound and determined to travel with just carry ons this year but since the latest turn of events and the fact my bride will not trave without war paint we are going to check a bag. The best tip I saw was for toothpaste and shampoo go buy the travel size samplers they are big enough for a week and fit in a ziplock incase of opening. Then just toss whats left for the return
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
cuddles

Ban lifted

Post by cuddles »

I just heard that the liqiud ban will be lifted tomorrow!! WhooHoo!!! (I hope it's true!)

It probably wouldn't have been cost effective to bring my booze back as checked luggage, but Cruzan rum is $10-$12 cheaper per bottle than the local price - well worth it as carry-on.
Virginia-Gal

Post by Virginia-Gal »

Cuddles - I hope lifting the ban is true!!!

Virginia-Gal
:D
Always dreaming about my next Caribbean vacation!
SusanNJ

U.S. to relax air travel restrictions

Post by SusanNJ »

I guess they are going to lessen the restrictions:

U.S. to relax air travel restrictions
By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer 49 minutes ago
The government is relaxing its ban against carrying liquids and gels onto airliners, instituted after a plot to bomb jets flying into the United States was foiled, an administration official said Monday.

A Homeland Security Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made, said that most liquids and gels that air travelers purchase in secure areas of airports will now be allowed on planes.

That means that after passengers go through airport security checkpoints, they can purchase liquids at airport stores and take them onto their planes, said the official. Announcement of the new rules was being made at an 11 a.m. EDT news conference at Reagan National Airport.

The tougher airport screening procedures were put in place in August after British police broke up a terrorist plot to assemble and detonate bombs using liquid explosives on airliners crossing the Atlantic Ocean from Britain to the U.S.

At the time, the Homeland Security Department briefly raised the threat level to "red," the highest level, for flights bound to the United States from Britain. All other flights were at "orange" and will remain at orange, the second-highest level, for now.

New procedures also were being announced for products like lip gloss and hand lotion that passengers bring to the airport. Previously, those liquids have been confiscated at security checkpoints. Now, the official said, those products will be put in clear plastic bags at the checkpoint, screened and returned to the passenger if they pass screening.
cuddles

Post by cuddles »

New procedures also were being announced for products like lip gloss and hand lotion that passengers bring to the airport. Previously, those liquids have been confiscated at security checkpoints. Now, the official said, those products will be put in clear plastic bags at the checkpoint, screened and returned to the passenger if they pass screening.
Hmmm, 6 bottles of Cruzan rum probably won't pass as lip gloss...
benchill

Post by benchill »

Just back from St John this weekend and we purchased six bottles of liquor at the airport liquor store. They put them in one of those cardboard boxes that holds six bottles, taped it up, and put our name and flight number on the outside. We just checked the box in just like that, no padding, no anything. We saw maybe 30 other boxes just like that being loaded on the plane. In Atlanta, i saw them come off and each one was intact. Ours was perfect, nothing worse for wear.

Delta does ask you to sign a waiver that they are not responsible for breakage though.

Don't sweat it, just let the liquor store box it and check it in.

Ben
cuddles

Post by cuddles »

We just checked the box in just like that, no padding, no anything. We saw maybe 30 other boxes just like that being loaded on the plane. In Atlanta, i saw them come off and each one was intact. Ours was perfect, nothing worse for wear.
Thanks for the info, benchill. We wondered about that but since no one else had mentioned it we figured that it wasn't allowed. Now we know better!!!