Bringing booze back

Travel discussion for St. John
Patty

Post by Patty »

We bought our liquor at the airport and checked it this past summer. It arrived very battered with one broken bottle. One of our pieces of luggage also didn't make it to Norfolk until 2 days later. In nine trips, we have had broken bottles only twice. Both times, it was the coconut rum that was broken!
sunlover

why don't they move the duty free store inside the airport?

Post by sunlover »

I thought I read somewhere that now you can bring duty free liquids on the plane so long as they are purchased behind security..... hmmmmm, I wonder if the STT airport has thought of that yet?
cuddles

Post by cuddles »

Ok, now let's solve the next problem...

It's been a while since I've flown. Are you generally allowed 1 carry-on and 1 checked piece of luggage? I guess I'll have to put my additional liquids (ie: leftover shampoo, sunscreen, etc.) in the box with the booze to bring home? :?
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Being a woman of relatively small stature, I can't heave the booze as carry-on into the overhead compartment; therefore I've always checked it. HOWEVER, I do bring a roll of packing tape with me to retape the box, AND I save anything that could serve as packing material (bags, cardboard, etc.) that I acquire during my stay so that I can make sure the bottles do not rattle. In 27 trips bringhing back two boxes each trip, we have had exactly two bottles break, so I figure we're way ahead of the game. Some folks pack their laundry around the bottles to secure them.