I am tired of RUDE villa guests!!!

Travel discussion for St. John
CariBert

To Villa Owner..

Post by CariBert »

Just a thought here, but don't you all have some sort of Villa Owners Association that you belong to? I mean, couldn't you just "red" flag the renters that abuse and destroy? I think the majority of the renters are like me and the others who have responded, and respect and take care of the property they rent.

It would seem that if a renter that destroys is refused the next time they want to rent something, or are charged an exorbitant amount of security deposit, they might think twice.

I don't know if such a list does exist, but I think I would be worth checking into it, if I owned a villa that I rented out, that is......

JMHO
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

David- n Hampton, VA

Sorry about the bad ones...

Post by David- n Hampton, VA »

Like everyone else, I am so sorry that you have to have bad, rude guests sometimes. I hope that there is a security deposit involved in the latest case. I have never had a problem paying it as my wife insists on making the place better when we leave then when we arrived; scrubbing counter tops, shaking rugs, washing sheets and towels (and refolding them all), often buying small things to add to a the owners collection of "things". (knick knacks, artwork whatever and leaving it behind in case the owner wants to include it in the villa somewhere.)

We try very hard to treat it like we own it. After the big storm of a couple weeks ago while there was no electricity I had called the Viva rep to see if they had heard there when electricity was to be restored. (They didn't know but did try to find out). Anyway, I decided to go to the store for water and sandwich stuff becuase we couldn't use the kitchen. I stepped outside and there was 6-7 inches of water in the walkway because the drains were clogged in the lines leading under the house.

When the Viva representative showed up with water and ice for us (which I thought was very thoughtful) I had just finished using the plunger to unclog the drain on the landing in front of the house and had it draining properly. The Viva rep stated he had informed the owner several months ago that the landing tended to get clogged. Point is.....I was sure the owner would have tried to fix it the same way....and what the heck I am staying there and I didn't want to have to wade through water....and it seemed the right thing to do.

I do not own any vacation properties....but if I did, I can almost assure everyone that I would feel the same way Villa Owner does.

Maybe it is time for a "blacklist".

Dave
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I, too, am sorry you've had some poopy guests, but doesn't that sort of come with the territory? There will always be those people who steal towels from hotels and think that they have a God-given right to trash a place because they think they are paying for the privelege to do so. It's not right, but at the same time, if you're going to put your property out there on the market to be occupied by a different group of strangers every week, then you have to expect some problems. As you have made clear, not everyone is going to take care of your house as you would.

I'm sure that most of the people posting on this board would take care of your property as if it was their own. But you have to expect the creeps of the world and make allowances for them. As others have said, charge a big deposit. I wouldn't mind paying a big deposit, knowing that I'm not going to trash a place and I will get my money back. If someone should complain about paying a big deposit, then maybe that should be your wake-up call - why don't they think they'll get it back? Also, I wouldn't put any sort of artwork or knick-knacks in my rental villa that I can't afford to lose (or glue them down!)

I think you have to make your villa as "idiot proof" as you can and just hope for the best.
jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

The $10,000 a week part got me thinking. That certainly would narrow it down quite a bit as to which villa, no? Wayyyy out of my price range. :D
Joe
Bluwater

Common....

Post by Bluwater »

As someone who spends lots of time visiting villas and working with owners and agents, I dare say that this is a common complaint. It is unfortunate.

I believe more villa owners need to start to holding deposits. I'm always amazed at the stories I hear about guests who clearly abuse the villa, the phone bill or whatever...and the owner doesn't want to hold the deposit. Why? Are you afraid that this person will not return? Why would you want them to return? Excessive messiness that needs extra time to clean should also be charged to the deposit.

As far as a blacklist goes, they do exist with some agents. It really isn't a blacklist...but is a system to retain data on visitors, moreso for the pleasure of the guests. The better agents will track their guests. I've heard of a guest who had a little scam going where he would rent a lower end villa and then claim to have had a serious problem (been burglarized, something seriously broken, etc) in the villa so that he could be moved to a better villa. Luckliy, this agent tracked their guests and were able to put 2+2 together after a couple of complaints from him on various visits.

Personally, I am ridiculously careful. I've even now begun to shop for and leave gifts for the villa...something elegant that I think would add a nice touch.

I am very grateful to the owners who open their homes.
Bluwater
tencats

Post by tencats »

jdjcmaso wrote:The $10,000 a week part got me thinking. That certainly would narrow it down quite a bit as to which villa, no? Wayyyy out of my price range. :D
That price range may be a part of the problem, those of us who cannot afford that rate, well, we understand that a little consideration goes a long way, those that can, I find frequently, will take nice things - a 5 million dollar villa for example, for granted.
My advice, keep their security deposit, or whatever portion of it will cover the damage. (and the aggravation) They won't miss it, you won't miss the aggravation, hopefully the people you rent it to instead of them on the return, will have a little more curtesy. If villa owners and rental agencies keep returning deposits in the face of such behavior, you have to understand you are condoning it, and it will continue. To these folks, you returning that deposit says that what they did is ok, and expected behavior. Please stop endorsing it :roll:
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

So let me get this straight so I am clear. People who can afford 10K a week are more likely to take refrigerator magnets and area rugs.

Most of the folks that I hang with that have a couple of bucks don't need area rugs or even refrigerator magnets.

I think it has more to do with values and not whether your upper, middle or lower class.

tencats wrote:
jdjcmaso wrote:The $10,000 a week part got me thinking. That certainly would narrow it down quite a bit as to which villa, no? Wayyyy out of my price range. :D
That price range may be a part of the problem, those of us who cannot afford that rate, well, we understand that a little consideration goes a long way, those that can, I find frequently, will take nice things - a 5 million dollar villa for example, for granted.
My advice, keep their security deposit, or whatever portion of it will cover the damage. (and the aggravation) They won't miss it, you won't miss the aggravation, hopefully the people you rent it to instead of them on the return, will have a little more curtesy. If villa owners and rental agencies keep returning deposits in the face of such behavior, you have to understand you are condoning it, and it will continue. To these folks, you returning that deposit says that what they did is ok, and expected behavior. Please stop endorsing it :roll:
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

Money doesn't buy class.

I very personally know a multi-millionaire who drives a Lamborghini, toys around with his $100k speedboat and owns well over $1M in properties, amongst other assorted investments....early 40s.

He has told me on more than one occasion that "you're expected to take the towels". He's the cheapest cheapskate around - a 10% tipper, at best.

I broke up with him two weeks ago...(smile).

Point being: It may not be the $10k per week renter who takes the stuff...it just might be the teenaged children, the tag-along uncle jim-bob, the cheapskate boyfriend who is there on a freebie, etc...

People have to know with whom they are traveling. If renters are traveling with whom they don't normally travel and know well, a pre-vacation meeting may be in order. Sometimes people just need a reminder that this is not a hotel, it is someone's home.
Bluwater
California Girl

Does it strike anybody but me odd that "villa_owner" has not responded to any of the comments here?

We are all involved in what is a "lukewarm" discussion (certainly not heated...yet) and yet the original poster has not made a peep other than to get everyone all wound up!

I read this on another forum yesterday, I think I will quote it here:

"Here is a brief description of Message Board Trolls.

Trolls want to create discord, arguments and/or distractions. Trolls might ask strange or way off questions, off topic questions, impersonate other users, create multiple personalities and then post a question and respond to themselves, ask the same question frequently or always comment negatively. Trolls might also be 'flamers' by starting a thread or making a post about a very heated topic that will undoubtedly cause a debate. The debatable topic is called 'flamebait' and might include such topics as guns, crime or racism. The best response to a troll is no response, ignore them. It is a game to them therefore you can not dissuade them, challenge them or embarrass them - any response at all is a victory since it provides attention and a continuation of their distracting post."

Villa_owner, my apologies if I am wrong - I hope I am - but considering you registered only a week ago and your first post is somewhat inflammatory and the fact that you haven't commented since, it makes one wonder.

Coden

Post by Coden »

[quote="California Girl"]Does it strike anybody but me odd that "villa_owner" has not responded to any of the comments here?

Yes, my thoughts exactly California Girl and I've been thinking this for many days. Very Odd that this Villa_Owner has yet to respond back. Could be wrong, but probably not.
Coden

Post by Guest »

I don't think this person was a troll at all. Since I have had the experience of renting my home to people who didn't respect it, I can totally understand this person's frustration and disappointment in people. Granted, my rental paradise is not a $10,000/week villa on St. John, but a 200+-year-old New England fixer-upper. It was still my house with my stuff in it.
I don't think this person had troll-like motives, nor do I think the fact that they haven't responded means anything. This person was venting their frustration and trying to change human behavior. I hope they succeeded in some way!
I find myelf wondering if people would have responded differently if the rental amount had not been specified. The value of the item in question isn't the issue.
Personally, I think the issue is that some people don't understand the difference between ownership and rentorship. Maybe reading the original poster's tale of woe might make someone somehwere treat someone else's stuff a little better in the future.
-Ruth
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Ooopsie! I wasn't trying to post anonymously, I forgot that we don't have to log in today.
-Ruth aka "Guest"
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I could not agree more Ruth. Not only was I a rental manager but I rented a family property as well. No matter the price, there are people that have no regard for other people's property. I went to our summer home one fall to find that the previous renter's had "taken" home a family heirloom that was hanging on the wall. When we called them, their response was " the rental contract didn't say that we weren't allowed to take things"
They eventually returned it, but it is a prime example of people that do not think when they are on vacation.
California Girl

Well, I truly hope you guys are right about this being a valid post. I sympathize with anyone who has a rental unit... I sure wouldn't want that headache! I see so many rude people on the highways & and places every day that I know the kind of people you describe are definitely out there. And they're renting villas. :(
Coden

Post by Coden »

Although I don't have a rental vacation home I do have rental property here in my town and I have a Security Deposit that each Tenant pays...as of yet I have not had to hold the deposit when the tenant was moving out, Thank Goodnes, but, if there was any damage done to my property I would with no Qualms.

And, as a renter of vacation property I would Assume that my deposit would be held IF I intentionally damaged something, and would expect it. Isn't that what the deposit is for? Why would one not keep the deposit? I don't understand this.

Also, I do know that there are people who have No Respect for others properties. They go someplace for vacation and turn into Pigs. And I don't understand the mentality of someone thinking they can Take things from a hotel or rental unit. It is beyond my comprehension.

Unfortunately there are many people in this world with no Morals whatsoever...what a shame!!
Coden